The Other Side - Glitch - Escape Tileset - Level Design

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
ZombieFlanders

The Other Side - Glitch - Escape Tileset - Level Design

Post by ZombieFlanders » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:43 pm

Howdy all! Sorry about the not having pictures, I just do not do social media that well. Bare with me please.

Now I have an interesting level design idea for you which is demonstrated in this level. The other day I was designing a different level when I did something by accident. I placed a Boss Door one tile away from the screens edge. The next screen over was not activated (no tileset / enemies / objects). When I practiced the level, the Boss Door shifted the camera / screen enough to have me fall out of bounds to the bottom (about 12 vertical screens) of the design area and die. I tried this again and fell and turned. I was now inside the tileset!

Previously, I only knew of the one way teleport (place tileset over deleted teleport) to get inside the tileset. I only knew of the one way teleport to also place you out of bounds (place in screen that is not activated). So the major problem I had with using the one way teleport was you were stuck inside the tileset, limiting level design. Generally most levels end with a shot to a Party Ball or boss outside of the tileset. But what if you could escape the tileset....

The one teleport may get you in, but not get get you out. So I started experimenting with the Boss Door to see if it could let Mega Man escape being inside a tileset. After much trial and error, and figuring out some weird mechanics, I have cracked the code :lol:

This map demonstrates how both glitching into and out of tileset works and also some of the effects of going out of bounds. To see how it all works, download the level and give it a look. I'm no master level designer, but I see potential for people to use this to create even more crazy level themes. A lot of this could also be tightened up so the camera doesn't jank out as much or lead to a death. I tried to include as many interactions with the glitch as possible.

Things I noted: Ice physics is retained inside ice tilesets. Bosses really glitch out the game when out of bounds. The camera, on occasion, will not shift properly and lead to a pit death. Try going faster or slower to get the camera to behave better.

Name: The Other Side - Glitch - Escape Tileset - Level Design
Link: https://megamanmaker.com/?level=425040

Designing the Vertical Exit from Tileset
Note: You must be near a convergence of four screens. If you are going left to right, the top right screen must not be activated but must still have two vertical tiles worth of a boss door in it. If you somehow activate the the top right screen, you will have to remove the boss doors first and then eliminate everything (objects, tilesets, enemies) else to deactivate the room. If you eliminate everything first, and then delete or remove the boss doors, you get an activated room without anything in it to leave it activated. If there is no activated room below, you will die to the pit effect.

Designing the Horizontal Exit from Tileset
Same idea with the four screen convergence. Only this time either the bottom left or bottom right section is not activated.

memelord69

Re: The Other Side - Glitch - Escape Tileset - Level Design

Post by memelord69 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 pm

I have no idea how this level works nor why, and I absolutely love it for that reason lmao. Very nice finds and setups. Walking inside of walls and stuff can be done with text editing these days, but all of the other bizarre things you had were really neat and unique. Thanks for putting the effort into all these experiments, it was really enjoyable
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Magic Bouncing Ball 307148
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 257962
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465

ZombieFlanders

Post by ZombieFlanders » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:55 pm

memelord69 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:28 pm
I have no idea how this level works nor why, and I absolutely love it for that reason lmao. Very nice finds and setups. Walking inside of walls and stuff can be done with text editing these days, but all of the other bizarre things you had were really neat and unique. Thanks for putting the effort into all these experiments, it was really enjoyable
Thank you for playing my level and leaving a response! I am glad you enjoyed it.
I hope this stuff doesn't get patched lol. I think its best suited as more tools for level designers to use and incorporate without having to text edit.

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:56 pm

What the **** kind of level is this?
It's so bizarre that I have no other choice but to respect your ingenuity. Putting majority of the level inside the walls? I've done this once (https://megamanmaker.com/?level=403148, if you wanna check it out)... but your level is superior to mine in many ways. Trolling is on high octane levels - more than 20 deaths later, I've managed to finally figure it out and finish it.
Aside all this glitchy stuff and quick reaction requirement, you've done the job well.

Total Rating: 9/10
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

ZombieFlanders

Post by ZombieFlanders » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:19 pm

Casual Builder wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:56 pm
What the **** kind of level is this?
It's so bizarre that I have no other choice but to respect your ingenuity. Putting majority of the level inside the walls? I've done this once (https://megamanmaker.com/?level=403148, if you wanna check it out)... but your level is superior to mine in many ways. Trolling is on high octane levels - more than 20 deaths later, I've managed to finally figure it out and finish it.
Aside all this glitchy stuff and quick reaction requirement, you've done the job well.

Total Rating: 9/10
Thank you for playing the level and giving me feedback. I appreciate the high score. It's definitely troll when trying to figure out where to go and the quick reactions to get there... and there is still a forced death :D
I'm glad that the level managed to intrigue and challenge you despite the deaths. I really liked the drop in for enemies that you did in your level. I'm going to have to see if I can incorporate that into a later level. (I really liked that screen before the boss, looked awesome.)

Random Man
Discord: Random#2700

Post by Random Man » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:00 am

Man what a weird experience that was! :lol:

Nice job discovering this, didn't think this was possible without editing. I can alredy imagine people doing some interesting level with this glitch...unless if it's patched of course, but regardless i liked playing and seeing the weirdness of the level.
Not all treasure is silver and gold.

ZombieFlanders

Post by ZombieFlanders » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:21 pm

Random Man wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:00 am
Man what a weird experience that was! :lol:

Nice job discovering this, didn't think this was possible without editing. I can alredy imagine people doing some interesting level with this glitch...unless if it's patched of course, but regardless i liked playing and seeing the weirdness of the level.
Thanks for playing the level and responding. I hope people utilize this glitch for some interesting levels. I'm glad you enjoyed!