Blazing Crater V3 [ID:501780]

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
Gokuless
Discord: Gokuless

Blazing Crater V3 [ID:501780]

Post by Gokuless » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:18 am

Hi ya'll, 1.7's been crazy huh? It even brought me back lol.

Anyway, here's the level.

Type - Traditional
Difficulty - Medium / Hard / Very Hard [Depending on Character]
Recommended Skill Level - Knows the basics
Playable Characters - Megaman [Medium] / Protoman [Easy-Very Hard] / Bass [Medium-Hard] / Roll [Hard-Very Hard]

- V2 - [Will still be around for a few days]

- General level difficulty has been slightly rebalanced.
- Boss arenas updated to show dangerous / safe areas.
- C.Kick "Exploit" fixed, Bass now is on the front of the selectable characters, and a weapon removal capsule is now below Protoman's capsule so you can't use it with him or Roll, also reduced the checkpoints by 1, so the player will need to select the character again upon death until reaching the second checkpoint.
- Magma area has been slightly changed, now the second Magma Beam rock is not a death sentence if the player fall on it.
- Weapon refill added near the second checkpoint to avoid softlock with Bass, also added a Bass exclusive path.
- Many fire generators have been nerfed, their attack rate has been increased but the number of flames have been reduced from 3/4 to 1.
- Eruption section has been slightly changed, a flashing platform has been added to the entrance in order to warn players of a dangerous area, also Weapon pickup has been added to avoid softlocks with Bass.

- V3 -

- General level difficulty has been slightly rebalanced (again lol).
- New underground section added after the first boss, which introduces the rising lava gimmick.
- Hot Heads have been mostly removed, with the exception of the last area as they serve as body blocks for Megaman and Protoman.
- Jumptrough Platforms have been added to the start area in order to speed up the "Wall Climbing" at the Pooker riding section.
- Many enemy placements have been rearranged.
- Some areas have been slightly retiled.
- The pooker riding section after the first boss has been slightly touched up, 1 Fire generator has been removed, some platforms have been slightly changed and a Magma Beam has been moved.
- 2 sections got a new usage for the F. Cracker's Magma Freeze mechanic, so you can properly walk over the frozen Magma in order to speed up your run or just for safety. Just be careful, the Magma may be frozen, but the generators will still shoot fire
- Small changed have been done to the checkpoint screens near both bosses.
- Eruption section has once again received a small change, now the magma will properly increase speeds once reaching certain points of the level.
- Small background changes have been done to some areas.

- Achievements / Challenges -

• [Dashing through the Infernal Crater]: - Clear the Level as Megaman.-
  • [Pain Glutton]: - Clear the Level as Protoman.-
  • [They're no better than me!]: - Clear the Level as Bass.-
  • [Heatproof Broom]: - Clear the Level as Roll.-
  • [A cold place within the flames]: - Find and collect Freeze Cracker..-
  • [Lava Hot Drink]: - Collect the E-Tank in the eruption section.-

- Master Challenges -
  • [No time for drinks! No time to die!]: - Clear the level without getting E-Tanks / Dying in 1 run.-
  • [Brooming away the flames]: - Clear the level as Roll only using R.Swing in combat (Excluding F.Storm Weapon Get section).-
  • [You can't burn me, i'm already on fire!]: - Clear the Level without taking damage in 1 run.-
  • [True Broom Bushido]: - Clear the Level as Roll only using R.Swing in combat, while taking no damage in 1 run.-
- Screenshots -

- Gameplay Video -

Play it now! https://megamanmaker.com/?level=500943
Last edited by Gokuless on Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
~~~~~~~~~ FREE SPIKES! FREE SPIKES FOR EVERYONE! ~~~~~~~~~

memelord69

Re: Blazing Crater [ID:500804]

Post by memelord69 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:53 am

The difficulty on this level is completely absurd for the wrong reasons. Despite that, this is genuinely probably one of the best levels I've played in this game lmao

First, let me just mention that you can cheese the item select. If you pick up the cKick, get the checkpoint, and respawn, you can keep it on any character. I played it with ProtoMan+cKick. I wanted to play with Roll, but I'm not even sure the level is beatable with her tbh.

With Roll, I noticed that the yellow platform enemies would be killed by her basic broom swing. And if they died, she'd have to die with them. Unless you had the cKick, then you could the cKick trick, where you get an extra aerial dash. But even with those tricks, I'm not sure how Roll is meant to get past the hothead by the ladder a bit before the 1st checkpoint.

After giving up on Roll, I went with ProtoMan. You had one steam pipe that was hidden behind the HP bar, which was completely bs damage. Then in another screen before the checkpoint, where we were trying to jump down, I died by just analyzing the room. I dropped in, saw some hp to my right, waited for the steam to pass, just to get sucker punched by a fireball. The level doesn't give us any breathing room at all lol.

For the first boss, up until him, you had taught us that red flooring means a fireball/lava beam is gonna hit there. That's fine, I learned it. But on the first boss, half the floor isn't red, and still has fire lol. That's an inconsistency that led to some cheap hits. Further on in the vertical climbing section, the lava starts moving for the first time in the entire level. That was another cheap death. It's these bits of inconsistence that make the level difficult for the wrong reasons imo.

Despite all that, I genuinely enjoyed that level big time. I can absolutely see how you got downvote bombed tbh (the difficulty on your level is a whole 1 million tiers too high for the shit that earns upvotes), but this level was really good imo. The challenges were really well done, despite the unfair parts. The idea and execution of the level was really strong. The delivery and presentation was very nice (although sometimes cluttered).
If your target audience was somewhere along the soft-kaizo territory, then you absolutely nailed it on this level. Really neat stuff
Assault on the Ziggurat 438537
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 438545
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465

Gokuless

Post by Gokuless » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:36 pm

Thanks for playing the level, i gotta admit that some parts are pretty insane, and some steam pipes really need to be moved lol. Thankfully i already have plans to update it, i just didn't really had that much feedback.
memelord69 wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:53 am
First, let me just mention that you can cheese the item select. If you pick up the cKick, get the checkpoint, and respawn, you can keep it on any character. I played it with ProtoMan+cKick. I wanted to play with Roll, but I'm not even sure the level is beatable with her tbh.
Well, i expected that to happen, i'll try to do something in order to block C-Kick to be used with anyone else but Bass, as he requires it for the sliding and Pooker riding sections.
memelord69 wrote:
With Roll, I noticed that the yellow platform enemies would be killed by her basic broom swing. And if they died, she'd have to die with them. Unless you had the cKick, then you could the cKick trick, where you get an extra aerial dash. But even with those tricks, I'm not sure how Roll is meant to get past the hothead by the ladder a bit before the 1st checkpoint.
Actually, Roll is meant to approach enemies kinda of differently lol. She's able to make Pookers jump into the lava with a charged attack, just like Megaman or Protoman, and most pookers can be respawned if you go back just enough (Not the one on the first checkpoint, that one requires a retry or damage boosting). About that Hothead, her charged attack is required to defeat him without taking damage from the fire generator, as it has just enough range to hit him.
memelord69 wrote:
After giving up on Roll, I went with ProtoMan. You had one steam pipe that was hidden behind the HP bar, which was completely bs damage. Then in another screen before the checkpoint, where we were trying to jump down, I died by just analyzing the room. I dropped in, saw some hp to my right, waited for the steam to pass, just to get sucker punched by a fireball. The level doesn't give us any breathing room at all lol.
Alright, that steam pipe near the 2 small health packs was kind of a dick move on my part, my bad, i'll remove that. About the fire ball pipe, i'll try to reposition it in order for it to not be too close to the packs, as well as decrease it's firing rate.
memelord69 wrote:
For the first boss, up until him, you had taught us that red flooring means a fireball/lava beam is gonna hit there. That's fine, I learned it. But on the first boss, half the floor isn't red, and still has fire lol. That's an inconsistency that led to some cheap hits. Further on in the vertical climbing section, the lava starts moving for the first time in the entire level. That was another cheap death. It's these bits of inconsistence that make the level difficult for the wrong reasons imo.
Yeah, i made the player learn a gimmick and then threw a fireball on it's safe spot, my bad², some readjustments will be made to warn the player. About the rising lava section, i'm sorry, but i'm not really sure how i could warn that little change aside the Shadow Background with lava going down and Music Change, if i could make the initial rising even slower, i would. (I wish the siren from the "final boss indicator" could be used for these things)
memelord69 wrote:
Despite all that, I genuinely enjoyed that level big time. I can absolutely see how you got downvote bombed tbh (the difficulty on your level is a whole 1 million tiers too high for the shit that earns upvotes), but this level was really good imo. The challenges were really well done, despite the unfair parts. The idea and execution of the level was really strong. The delivery and presentation was very nice (although sometimes cluttered).
If your target audience was somewhere along the soft-kaizo territory, then you absolutely nailed it on this level. Really neat stuff
I'm glad you did like the presentation and level itself, it took a lot of work lol. I did expect the downvotes initially though, it's always the first version that gets bombed like that lol. Hopefully the second version can make it more enjoyable for all. See ya until then. o/

memelord69

Post by memelord69 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm

i'm sorry, but i'm not really sure how i could warn that little change aside the Shadow Background with lava going down and Music Change, if i could make the initial rising even slower, i would. (I wish the siren from the "final boss indicator" could be used for these things)
Add an empty hall way that has lava moving slowly from left to right before the vertical room. The empty room's lava will start moving when the player leaves the edge of the screen, and that can serve as the warning. You might have to move around a couple screens tho

I'm glad you did like the presentation and level itself, it took a lot of work lol. I did expect the downvotes initially though, it's always the first version that gets bombed like that lol. Hopefully the second version can make it more enjoyable for all. See ya until then. o/
For sure bro, it was honestly a really awesome level. Don't become discouraged by the downvotes, you know how those work on this game lmao. You've got a target audience in mind, and the level definitely succeeds in that regard imo. Very good work
Assault on the Ziggurat 438537
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 438545
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465

Werty_Deluxe

Re: Blazing Crater V2 [ID:500943]

Post by Werty_Deluxe » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:48 pm

Honestly, it's a super cheap level with super cheap placements everywhere and a bit of enemy spam. You should remove a ton of enemies, and the magma beams really add to the rage and make the level much more unfair, there are other things that you could more, remove and replace, but you don't have to change much for it to be a good stage.
I'm a Genius...

SinisterKun
Discord: SinisterKun

Post by SinisterKun » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:28 pm

Them Flames

Difficulty: 4/5 Overall, 4.5/5 for Roll (YES, I DID THAT CHALLENGE!!!!)

Fire everywhere and to be fair, it’s a difficulty that I appreciate, but damn. Lay off of the hotheads and that one just before the chase isn’t necessary. Some of the difficulty was getting out of the chase, but I feel that you should remove that Flight Beat Power up…. That made it possible to beat the climb in the first place with her…. The Freeze Cracker did help ease the difficulty some, but not enough to be truly a thing during the rematch with Fireman…. (+4 Points)

Placement: 3/5

This is where it was the weakest. A lot of the fire elements were used well, but the enemy placement was HORRIBLE!!!!! That was borderline cheap S*** for the sake of being cheap… Again, a few less enemies would make this stage shine brighter than most! (+3 Points)

Interior Design: 4.5/5

There was few tiling questions, but other than that, everything fits well and the transitions was smooth. Good work! (+5 Points)

Lasting Appeal: 4/5

I may be with the minority here, but its a level (after changes) that can be worthy of being featured as the Fire Level for a Grand Prix or a race!!! And seeing that the difficulty is adjusted by character and skill levels, I like that feel. I’m docking a point for the current BS the level displays! (+4 Points)

Recommendation to friends: 3.5/5

I’m going to recommend this to the better players in my playgroup as it would be a worthy enough challenge. To the casuals and beginners, steer clear unless you want to suffer a bit…. Other than that, I would recommend this to the experienced ones. (+3.5 Points)

Final Point Total and Average Point Margin(FPT/APM): 19.5/25 [3.5/5]

This level is, wild and frustrating. I really think aside from bad enemy placement in places, this level would be a “Fireball” of success! I say that I would be happy with it after the changes and I want to see what your next creation brings! I would play this again, but after 3 or 4 times, I’m good.

Sinister-Sama

Gokuless

Post by Gokuless » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 pm

Difficulty: 4/5 Overall, 4.5/5 for Roll (YES, I DID THAT CHALLENGE!!!!)

Fire everywhere and to be fair, it’s a difficulty that I appreciate, but damn. Lay off of the hotheads and that one just before the chase isn’t necessary. Some of the difficulty was getting out of the chase, but I feel that you should remove that Flight Beat Power up…. That made it possible to beat the climb in the first place with her…. The Freeze Cracker did help ease the difficulty some, but not enough to be truly a thing during the rematch with Fireman…. (+4 Points)
Thankfully a new update shall come out relatively soon, and i appreciate your feedback. The Hotheads really can be a nuisance in some places, and i've been considering moving some of them or simply removing them entirely, that shall be done in V3. The chase sequence is completely doable with Roll of course, in fact the path with some steams has been made especially for her to avoid fighting Hotheads as she's not as quickly damaging as her brothers.
Placement: 3/5

This is where it was the weakest. A lot of the fire elements were used well, but the enemy placement was HORRIBLE!!!!! That was borderline cheap S*** for the sake of being cheap… Again, a few less enemies would make this stage shine brighter than most! (+3 Points)
This is something the guy before you pointed out as "spam", while i didn't understand the spam part, i can understand some placements, that will be adjusted in the next version.
Interior Design: 4.5/5

There was few tiling questions, but other than that, everything fits well and the transitions was smooth. Good work! (+5 Points)
I probably know some points where those questions pop in lol. I'll make a slight change to some of those areas.
Lasting Appeal: 4/5

I may be with the minority here, but its a level (after changes) that can be worthy of being featured as the Fire Level for a Grand Prix or a race!!! And seeing that the difficulty is adjusted by character and skill levels, I like that feel. I’m docking a point for the current BS the level displays! (+4 Points)
Thanks! Though i'm not sure what you mean about race lol. I've tried my hardest to make the level playable with all characters, and i could say that i'm pretty satisfied with the results so far myself.
Recommendation to friends: 3.5/5

I’m going to recommend this to the better players in my playgroup as it would be a worthy enough challenge. To the casuals and beginners, steer clear unless you want to suffer a bit…. Other than that, I would recommend this to the experienced ones. (+3.5 Points)
Hopefully V3 will increase this one's score lol.

Finally then, i've felt the last section before the final boss was a little too short, and a little expansion might be made, especially to introduce the rising lava a little better. I hope you can play the next version when it's out.

Until then, see ya o/ And thanks for the review. (Also, Congrats on achieving [Heatproof Broom] lol)

SinisterKun
Discord: SinisterKun

Post by SinisterKun » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:42 pm

The pleasure and privilege was mine to tackle this level!
Looking forward to the updates in V3!

Sinister-Sama

ZombieFlanders

Post by ZombieFlanders » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 pm

After all that cloud riding and avoiding insta death beams you cheese kill me with a rising fire on a screen transition with a hothead in front AND when the fire has not risen all stage. With no checkpoint, that broke me. The insta death beams and positioning on the cloud platform, challenging but fun. Making me do it all over again after the rising fire, back breaking. Also, not so keen on the constant fire roar noise clogging up the sound channels.

I liked what I played of the level, the shademan waterfall background section was great.

Fireman was a fun boss fight, liked the layout, gave me just enough time to react at the start too.

Gokuless

Post by Gokuless » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:00 am

After all that cloud riding and avoiding insta death beams you cheese kill me with a rising fire on a screen transition with a hothead in front AND when the fire has not risen all stage. With no checkpoint, that broke me. The insta death beams and positioning on the cloud platform, challenging but fun. Making me do it all over again after the rising fire, back breaking. Also, not so keen on the constant fire roar noise clogging up the sound channels.
I'm deeply sorry about that. The next version of this level will have a new section with a proper introduction to the rising lava gimmick.
I liked what I played of the level, the shademan waterfall background section was great.
I'm glad you've liked it, hopefully V3 will have truly improved over that section as well.
Fireman was a fun boss fight, liked the layout, gave me just enough time to react at the start too.
That was actually a very lucky shot for me, while doing it i was fearing the flames were just going to have a cheap shot on you at the start, but it turned out great lol.