Greasemonkey HQ (294470)

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
UPRC
Discord: UPRC#0197

Greasemonkey HQ (294470)

Post by UPRC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 am

Hey guys. Just decided to do a quick level that's not very difficult. Just wanted to aim for a level that would fit right in with most vanilla levels and would be about as difficult as, say, the Bubble Man or Metal Man stages in Mega Man 2 (so basically easy enough for someone to do right off the bat).

Level Name: Greasemonkey HQ
Level ID: 294470
Boss: Charge Man
Length: Short-Medium(ish)
Powerups: Various weapons from different games enabled. Charge and slide are also both enabled.

So this isn't a gimmicky level, and isn't designed to be especially hard either. My aim was just to make a level that's simple and feels like a semi genuine beginner/early stage Mega Man experience.

I am accepting requests to play levels
If you make levels in the style of the actual Mega Man games and want to see your
levels played, shoot me a message and I'll record my play of your level and throw it up on YouTube.

Kun fu Cuts Man
Discord: Kun fu Cuts Man#6955

Re: Greasemonkey HQ (294470)

Post by Kun fu Cuts Man » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:12 pm

UPRC wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:06 am
Level Name: Greasemonkey HQ
Level ID: 294470
Boss: Charge Man
Length: Short-Medium(ish)
Powerups: Various weapons from different games enabled. Charge and slide are also both enabled.
*Deep breath* Oh boi time for this again...
DO NOT FORGET A QUICKPLAY LINK IN ANY LEVEL SHOWCASE! YOU CAN GET IT BY PRESSING THE SHARE BUTTON AND THEN DIRECT LINK, THIS WILL COPY IT TO YOUR COPYBOARD. THEN WHEN POSTING YOUR SHOWCASE, PRESS THE URL BUTTON (the chain thingy) AND IN THE MIDDLE OF IT PASTE THE URL, IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS:

Code: Select all

[url]https://megamanmaker.com/?level=294470[/url]
*Recovers sanity*

Anyway, on the level:
Why did you hided a M-tank at beginning of level? I know it´ s tradition to hide things at the left of the screen, but a M-tank is too important to give it free like that; I would recommend replacing it for an E-tank. You also introduced gimmicks over spikes, which is also a bad thing :( , but weirdly enough the room after it introduced them better. Maybe swap the challenges or tone down the introduction of the plataforms. But the enemies were introduced really well! :D as they get conbined in different ocasions with plataforms.

The second E-tank on the other hand, was actually placed in a fair way! :D To get it you have to make your way trough the plataforms or die trying it. BUT the boss arena was flat, which is a big no-no on MMM level design, you just slapped some spikes and called it a day; at least a spring could´ ve improved this aspect of the level.

Otherwise a pretty fun level that would fit really well in a MM game, but more on the older ones like in MM2 or 3. Oh yeah asteatics were also nice.

7.5/10 Pretty fun level
ImageImage
Does this count?
Coming soon, but you can access at the Discord Server here

TREMIC1

Post by TREMIC1 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:35 pm

Pretty enjoyable level! Especially with the state the game is in currently right now as everyone waits for the update, it's nice to see a polished traditional/classic esque level, especially since those are my favorite types to make/play.

You did a really good job at establishing a location through your aesthetics and layouts. The theme enviroment was something I had seen atempted a couple of times after the MM7 update, but no where as innovative and cohesively polsihed as yours. There was some really nice background transitions and the room setups were both visually appealing and engaging gameplay wise.

As previously stated, I think the M tank could've been more secret/harder to obtain, and some of the gimmicks could've had better introductions/uses. For me probably more so the spike presses, maybe giving the player just a bit more head room for timing purposes (though it wasnt really a problem for myself). And the multi layerd platform area where you just fall down through to the turbo roader felt a little useless/less thought out than the usage of them in the rest of the level.

KFCuts mentioned the flat boss room. I'm not always really detered by it, especially in traditonal levels like this, and would rather have a flat simple room than a room that goes overboard with gimmicks or enemies. At the same time, being a creative game allows you more options, so I also cant say that I'm never interested to see how creators will push the boss room idea. Charge Man is a particular case becase he can't do the varied terrain setups that some other one's can and operates best in a flat room, but I think you could still mentioned some changes. I saw that springs were mentioned (which could work but think it might make it a bit chaotic). I personally think you were on the right track with the floor level spikes and thin maybe a couple of more 2 tile spike pits within the stage could give you the variation you need: Add's a bit more complexity to the gameplay within attack and dodging since the space is more limited and spread out, but also keeps the room simple enough and flat enough where Charge Man can still do his usual patterns.

Finally, I would say that in a traditional level like this, especially one that operates more like a RM stage than a fortress or Wily level stage, a full set of weapons is not needed. Even more so without weapon specific challenges. I would personally restrict it to no more than the 3-4 weapons MAX. I personally like to do the buster, at least one sub weapon, and possibly a utility. Once you figure out what weapon number limit you want, then kinda figure out how each one adds to the gameplay, wheter it be one of the weaknesses, adding to player movement, or helpful with dealing with certain enemy layouts, ect. Basically what I'm saying is that because its a singular level and not one of many from a connected game, each of your weapons should try to serve a specific purpose for the level.

That's pretty much it. Like I said despite these nitpicks and advice, I really did enjoy the level. I hope to see more from you soon. Happy Creating!

Yoshi2018

Post by Yoshi2018 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:36 pm

Kun Fu Cuts Man needs meds.
An almost perfect level, however the weapons are not very useful.
I am inactive. If you see me, consider yourself unlucky.

UPRC
Discord: UPRC#0197

Post by UPRC » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 pm

I really like the feedback on the M tank. I'm thinking of tossing in an alternate path somewhere that yields it as a reward. As for the boss room, yeah, I didn't really want to make it too "out there" since I was pretty much just going for a classic Mega Man vibe. I probably could have done a bit more with the spikes in the room though.
I am accepting requests to play levels
If you make levels in the style of the actual Mega Man games and want to see your
levels played, shoot me a message and I'll record my play of your level and throw it up on YouTube.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:39 am

Can't really add much with regards to feedback as Tremic1 hit most of it perfectly already. I feel the Ring Platforms could have been introduced in a safer place away from the spikes so players could learn what they do, but that is pretty much it.

Very nice level, the structuring used makes it feel like its straight from an official game, and the visuals and transitions are beautiful. Great job.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Tyler-bot

Post by Tyler-bot » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:38 pm

- As Royalguard said: Everyone else already nailed everything... Either way, I'll still put my two-cents in...

Aesthetics were ok, if a bit on the simplistic side of the spectrum. This is perfectly fine, however, and it lent the stage that classic feel while the color combinations and BG's worked well together. Combat was simple as well, with the overabundance of weapons having made the player way too OP in my opinion. Always keep weapons to a minimum... no more than 3 or 4... Keep in mind, I'm not bashing on your combat... it's not awful and enemies are placed fair enough; it just felt that the level design never favored enemy placement and I was able to blast through most without having to gain a firing position. Having a 'hidden' M or E-Tank a single screen left of the player's starting position has been done to death and really doesn't feel rewarding. I would agree you should start putting alternate routes that reward these things to the player so it feels a bit more of a struggle to get them and by virtue of that: more satisfying to acquire/use them. The boss-fight was likewise bland. Having the double spikes in the center was a slight difficulty enhancer... but not much. All in all this level was average, with incredible potential to be awesome! Good work. -Ty