No Train, No Gain [ID: 345897]

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
KBorg64

No Train, No Gain [ID: 345897]

Post by KBorg64 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm

My first published, but not first created, Mega Man Maker level. It's a simple train-themed stage featuring Charge Man as its boss. Not much to say about this one, it's standard and pretty basic, but (hopefully) enjoyable nonetheless!

Level ID: 345897
Type: Traditional
Difficulty: Easy-Medium
Length: Short, 1-2 minutes
Character(s): Mega Man
Enabled Feature(s): Slide, Mega Man 5 Charge Shot
Weapon(s): Mega Buster, Power Stone, Gravity Hold, Crystal Eye, Star Crash, Water Wave
Boss(es): Charge Man
Direct Link: https://megamanmaker.com/?level=345897

Feel free to review and make videos on any of my levels. All support and criticism is welcomed and very much appreciated. ;)

Slope_Man

Re: No Train, No Gain [ID: 345897]

Post by Slope_Man » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 pm

It was alright. Nothing was designed too poorly, and I liked that it was short, but didn't feel too short. It looks functional, not great, but functional prevents people from being distracted from poor visuals.

A few points for improvement:
- I'd say you'd have too many mm8 joes. It doesn't make things harder, it just slows things down. They're fine enemies, just too many of them to close together gets a little tedious. Inserting screens with a few easier to kill enemies in a row would help the flow a lot.
- There's not much in the way of platforming. It's pretty much an all combat level. That's fine, but hard to keep interesting. It would require significantly changed updates, but some 'carts' having any gimmick that supports that would also help with variety. What if some carts had leaked oil on some floors? What if some carts were underwater with seacreatures (ripping off the SM3DWorld train here, just spitballing).
- Fighting Charge Man with the power stone isn't very interesting, as I'm just running away from him and activating the weapon a couple of times. A different weapon for his weakness, that would make the fight more interesting to play would help.

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:23 pm

Generic, boring, not fun. Don't play it safe for good reception by making your level predictable and easy, play around a bit. It's worth the risk and it's how Mega Man is fun and enjoyable. 30/100
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

KBorg64

Post by KBorg64 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:20 pm

Slope_Man wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 pm
It was alright. Nothing was designed too poorly, and I liked that it was short, but didn't feel too short. It looks functional, not great, but functional prevents people from being distracted from poor visuals.

A few points for improvement:
- I'd say you'd have too many mm8 joes. It doesn't make things harder, it just slows things down. They're fine enemies, just too many of them to close together gets a little tedious. Inserting screens with a few easier to kill enemies in a row would help the flow a lot.
- There's not much in the way of platforming. It's pretty much an all combat level. That's fine, but hard to keep interesting. It would require significantly changed updates, but some 'carts' having any gimmick that supports that would also help with variety. What if some carts had leaked oil on some floors? What if some carts were underwater with seacreatures (ripping off the SM3DWorld train here, just spitballing).
- Fighting Charge Man with the power stone isn't very interesting, as I'm just running away from him and activating the weapon a couple of times. A different weapon for his weakness, that would make the fight more interesting to play would help.
Thank you for your feedback! Those are some certainly interesting gimmicks possible, for sure, I just kept it simple for this level cause I was sort of on a designer's block, so I wanted to make something a little simple compared to what the other levels I've been working on. And yes, Charge Man's fight isn't anything special. I decided to give the players MM5 weapons, and Power Stone was his weakness, so I just left it as that. Throughout most of the testing of this level, I just stuck with using the Buster only. It doesn't change a lot of the level playing that way, but I personally enjoyed playing through it Buster only more. Anyways, thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

KBorg64

Post by KBorg64 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:23 pm
Generic, boring, not fun. Don't play it safe for good reception by making your level predictable and easy, play around a bit. It's worth the risk and it's how Mega Man is fun and enjoyable. 30/100
Thank you for the critique! In what ways do you think the level could be improved, though? Are there any specific gimmicks you think I could have tried? And I didn't play it safe just for good reception, I just wanted to make a simple level is all, but thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it!

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

KBorg64 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:23 pm
Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:23 pm
Thank you for the critique! In what ways do you think the level could be improved, though? Are there any specific gimmicks you think I could have tried? And I didn't play it safe just for good reception, I just wanted to make a simple level is all, but thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate it!
The spike balls could work for a slow-paced level like this
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE