Ambersand Fortress / ID: 178033

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
Minoru Leonardo

Ambersand Fortress / ID: 178033

Post by Minoru Leonardo » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:29 pm

Ambersand Fortress
ID: 178033

This is a remaking of an old level I had uploaded before (it was named Fortress of Envy), but wasn't truly satisfied with. After finally getting time and motivation I finished doing a complete tile overhaul to make the level easier on the eyes and balanced certain areas that felt too bland of unfair.

The main gimmick with this level is that you are only armed with the Crash Bomber weapon and must get through using it. Crash Bomber is a devastating weapon, but equally slow, so you must be a little careful when using it.

There are segments which you'll be fighting enemies and other where you'll be using the weapon to break blocks or traverse the level; I tried to even out those segments a little better this time around.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Overall map size
  1. Mount Springs [ID: - WIP -]
  2. Flying Kick Falls [ID: 75358]
  3. Ambersand Fortress [ID: 178033]
  4. Kyanite Veins [ID: - WIP -]
  5. Magnes Trials [ID: 84169]
  6. Kairos Core [ID: 382134]
  7. Boreas Bluff [ID: - WIP -]
  8. Petrol Quarry [ID: 379389]

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Ambersand Fortress / ID: 178033

Post by Royalguard » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 am

Nice remake of a classic stage. I still have the original version of this stage downloaded. :lol:

Edit:

Played through both this stage and the original Fortress of Envy for comparison.

* Its far less... green.
* Enemies from newer versions of Mega Man Maker added.
* General enemy rebalancing and placement changes.
* The spikes added to the pole egg room is a nice touch.
* Noticed you overhauled the room with the ladders and Crystal Joe with the low ceiling.
* Apparently due to patches changing things over time, the SparkMan Blocks that you ride up to the boss room kill you instantly in V1.2.4 in the original Fortress of Envy, making the original uncompletable, its a good thing that is fixed in this remake. :lol:

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 am

Hey, Minoru.

This was an enjoyable level, it has some fun puzzles, platforming and action segments.

There was a nice difficulty curve I felt like. It starts out easy and progressively gets harder. I really liked the idea of falling down all the way to the bottom of the stage and having to climb back up. The tad pole segment was neat, it did take some time to get through, but I had fun carving out a path for myself, I did mess up and die on my first attempt. :lol:

The rest was cool too. Introducing the airborne platforming with a yellow beam at first, then on the second floor busting out the red one, again, nice difficulty curve. Oh and I appreciate that you added a checkpoint in between each challenge, it really helped out.

The bossfight was surpisingly fun, adding the neutral weapon blocks so that the crash bombs bounce out of the room instead of sticking to the wall was a nice touch and will help beginners who might not realise you can switch your weapon back and forth to reset the timer on the explosion.

Nice level. +1

Building easier levels made me realize how difficult it is to keep a stage "light" yet interesting at the same time. It is a fun challenge projected to the creator rather than to the player. ;)

Minoru Leonardo

Post by Minoru Leonardo » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:07 am

Royalguard wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 am
Nice remake of a classic stage. I still have the original version of this stage downloaded. :lol:
I feel sort of proud to know that someone downloaded my level. Since I deleted that one you might have the last copy of it with you.
Royalguard wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:37 am
Played through both this stage and the original Fortress of Envy for comparison.

* Its far less... green.
* Enemies from newer versions of Mega Man Maker added.
* General enemy rebalancing and placement changes.
* The spikes added to the pole egg room is a nice touch.
* Noticed you overhauled the room with the ladders and Crystal Joe with the low ceiling.
* Apparently due to patches changing things over time, the SparkMan Blocks that you ride up to the boss room kill you instantly in V1.2.4 in the original Fortress of Envy, making the original uncompletable, its a good thing that is fixed in this remake. :lol:
Seriously, though, thanks for playing it again. I really appreciate it. The fact you went your way to play an older version of this level makes me happy as well. All changes were based on the feedback in the last topic I created way back then.

Off-topic...ish, but I'm finishing re-working another level I had deleted as well, I hope you play it again since one major change was made based on your feedback, Royalguard.

Nickelasse wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 am
Hey, Minoru.

This was an enjoyable level, it has some fun puzzles, platforming and action segments.

There was a nice difficulty curve I felt like. It starts out easy and progressively gets harder. I really liked the idea of falling down all the way to the bottom of the stage and having to climb back up. The tad pole segment was neat, it did take some time to get through, but I had fun carving out a path for myself, I did mess up and die on my first attempt. :lol:

The rest was cool too. Introducing the airborne platforming with a yellow beam at first, then on the second floor busting out the red one, again, nice difficulty curve. Oh and I appreciate that you added a checkpoint in between each challenge, it really helped out.

The bossfight was surpisingly fun, adding the neutral weapon blocks so that the crash bombs bounce out of the room instead of sticking to the wall was a nice touch and will help beginners who might not realise you can switch your weapon back and forth to reset the timer on the explosion.

Nice level. +1
Thanks a lot. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I see the tadpole egg segment is still the most memorable part of this level, it was much shorter before, but I decided to make it longer based on the feedback back then. I wanted to make it a bit more challenging too, but not too frustrating to go through (I hope it was enough).

Thanks for mentioning the difficulty. I'm kind of relieved to read your input on it-- balancing the difficulty of everything is one of the things I aim for the most, and I felt that not putting a checkpoint before a potentially dangerous area with lots of one-hit kill dangerous would be really unfair, not to mention frustrating.

I'm glad you liked the boss fight too! The neutral blocks was something I was thinking on not placing, but figured that not having them would only prolong the fight unnecessarily.

Lastly, thanks for the upvote as well. This level first got downvoted to -2 or -3 when I had it uploaded, so I was afraid it'd get buried at first.
  1. Mount Springs [ID: - WIP -]
  2. Flying Kick Falls [ID: 75358]
  3. Ambersand Fortress [ID: 178033]
  4. Kyanite Veins [ID: - WIP -]
  5. Magnes Trials [ID: 84169]
  6. Kairos Core [ID: 382134]
  7. Boreas Bluff [ID: - WIP -]
  8. Petrol Quarry [ID: 379389]