The following process occurs three times:
- Weapon Select: You are given a choice between two weapons. Each boss is weak against one of those. Hints are given on the weapon selection screen to show you which is which. The checkpoint is placed just before the weapon select drop, so you can change your mind between runs.
- Firing Range: Familiarize yourself with the chosen weapon. I chose some pretty unconventional and/or skill-based weapons - it won't be a simple case of fire and forget. Extra ammo will be supplied on this screen. If you change your mind on which weapon to use, reset to the last checkpoint.
- Doubles Combat: The meat of the gameplay. Three robots enter. Less than three robots leave.
- First Kill: When you kill one boss, they will drop a large health pip and the opposing boss's weakness weapon to clean up with. Don't choke!
- Rinse: After you beat both bosses, your health is brought to full and your weapons stripped.
- Repeat: This process occurs three times, with checkpoints supplied on weapon select screens.
I had a lot of fun putting this together! This is my first MMM level, but I've been programming and designing games for the past thirteen years. If pedigree matters, my buddy and I have recently commercially released a tabletop RPG which was in part inspired by Megaman.
I specifically made this level to be a fair challenge. If people like this, I might revisit the concept in a sequel - especially once the game is updated with more bosses and weapons to play with.
Let me know what you guys think, and also what weapons you picked on your run. The intent was for each choice to be somewhat balanced, depending on your skills with given weapons in a 2v2 situation - if it turns out one is significantly better than the other, let me know why and I'll keep that in mind going forward.