Doubles Boss Rush

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
noaheadie

Doubles Boss Rush

Post by noaheadie » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Doubles Boss Rush is exactly what it sounds like - three rounds against pairs of robot masters. A true test of skill, requiring you to adapt to overlapping boss AI.

FLOW

The following process occurs three times:
  • Weapon Select: You are given a choice between two weapons. Each boss is weak against one of those. Hints are given on the weapon selection screen to show you which is which. The checkpoint is placed just before the weapon select drop, so you can change your mind between runs.
  • Firing Range: Familiarize yourself with the chosen weapon. I chose some pretty unconventional and/or skill-based weapons - it won't be a simple case of fire and forget. Extra ammo will be supplied on this screen. If you change your mind on which weapon to use, reset to the last checkpoint.
  • Doubles Combat: The meat of the gameplay. Three robots enter. Less than three robots leave.
  • First Kill: When you kill one boss, they will drop a large health pip and the opposing boss's weakness weapon to clean up with. Don't choke!
  • Rinse: After you beat both bosses, your health is brought to full and your weapons stripped.
  • Repeat: This process occurs three times, with checkpoints supplied on weapon select screens.
SCREENSHOT

NOTES

I had a lot of fun putting this together! This is my first MMM level, but I've been programming and designing games for the past thirteen years. If pedigree matters, my buddy and I have recently commercially released a tabletop RPG which was in part inspired by Megaman.

I specifically made this level to be a fair challenge. If people like this, I might revisit the concept in a sequel - especially once the game is updated with more bosses and weapons to play with.

Let me know what you guys think, and also what weapons you picked on your run. The intent was for each choice to be somewhat balanced, depending on your skills with given weapons in a 2v2 situation - if it turns out one is significantly better than the other, let me know why and I'll keep that in mind going forward.

LEVEL LINK

Enjoy!

Blast Man
Discord: Play Dash#9888

Re: Doubles Boss Rush

Post by Blast Man » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:23 am

What is the game you made? Also nice level.
A gamer/pixel artist (also known as Play Dash, old idiotic account here) who also likes Mega Man games! I also like the artstyle and aesthetics of the old Mega Man games/Mega Man Maker demakes.

Currently working on Rivals of Aether stuff and MM demakes!

noaheadie

Post by noaheadie » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Blast Man wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:23 am
What is the game you made? Also nice level.
I'm glad you asked!

Kill Sector is a rules-lite, combat-heavy sci-fi TTRPG with a huge focus on open-ended yet intuitive character creation. Thematically, it has a gladiatorial bent, but you can do basically anything with it - there's a circle of players at the nearby university that use it to run their take on high fantasy. It's made specifically to be easy to learn, even for TTRPG beginners, and to run one-shots that work around people's schedules.

It's inspired specifically by Mega Man's take on combat puzzles - needing the right tool for the right job, sometimes requiring unconventional means to progress. We've also made a whole lot of weird, weird weapons, to capture that feeling of "what does this weapon do" that I personally love about Mega Man. To get an idea for the general feel of Kill Sector, imagine this specific level, but played with multiple friends that come in with their own strange tools instead of picking them for yourself ahead of time, roleplaying as aliens and robots and warriors and what have you.

You can find out more information on our website, including art, a link to the pdf, and our discord server.

yotubesocialhd2

Post by yotubesocialhd2 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:02 pm

I loved your level ,it was a nice boss rush level with choosing the right weapon! How long did it take you to make this level?