[First level] Float man stage

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
Sp1ke

[First level] Float man stage

Post by Sp1ke » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:25 pm

This is the first level i managed to fully build, so don't expect much
it takes place on a resort made of baloons that float on the ocean that has been taken over by float man

i tried to keep the level fair and challenging but i might not have done a good job

level link :
https://megamanmaker.com/?level=332446

some screenshots

the boss battle is kinda tricky, the player has to stop toad man's dance when he stands on spikes while avoiding getting hit by him

i hope to hear some criticism, so that i can improve for the next level
me: makes joke

friend: "that wasn't very nice"

me:

TheKman100

Re: [First level] Float man stage

Post by TheKman100 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:31 pm

Just played "Float Man" For a first level, it's pretty good - a nice theme simulation, and enemies to complement the theme like aquatic animals and colored "beach balls". It has a fair amount of challenge to it, albeit with the overabundance of spikes you tend to see in most water-physic levels. The boss of "Float Man" actually floating is a nice touch too.

That said, I do have some criticism. For starters, I think a stage with that many spikes and pits should either tone them down (especially in the boss room) or add more checkpoints to dampen the setback. Also, while it's not a difficult stage to do buster-only, I do wish you added other weapons, particularly the Water Wave. It works differently in the water, and this stage would've made for the perfect setting to utilize that.

On a scale of 1-10, I'd give "Float Man" a 7. You're off to a good start, Sp1ke.
Latest five levels:
* Legends of the Hidden Temple (332006)
* MAGMML2 - Yggdrasil Made Fair (334548)
* The Room Revolving (337399)
* Cyclone Fortress 2 (339317)
* Mega Man Rock Force - Crypt Man (340099)

Redcrazykirby

Post by Redcrazykirby » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:43 am

This is a really good traditional level. To me, every aspects of what makes a good megaman level is here : Nice and creative graphics which sticks to the main theme. I'm not so shocked by the number of spikes. Perfect length, well-dosed difficulty, use of both ennemies and mechanics. So congratulations to you ! :D

Try my own version of a MMPU demake => MEGAMAN 1 UPGRADED

LightDaemon

Post by LightDaemon » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:00 am

This was a bad level. Visually, I liked it, though you have to be careful for the red tiles stop at the bottom edge of the screen.

Overall, it was bland and boring. Frogs are terrible enemies and unless you use them properly (I've never seen a good use of them so far), you'll end up with a bad enemy placement. As it is, there is no way for the player to properly dodge their attacks.

The only good thing about your level is the traditional structure, it feels like it could be an official MM stage. Only enemy placement wouldn't be as bland. Despite the fact that it's not a particularly long level, it seems to drag on for too long.

I think the level has a very slow pace because it's basically a bunch of enemies on a huge flat area. You should play more with verticality.
Tired of Internet

Sp1ke

Post by Sp1ke » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:45 pm

thank you all for the feedback!
i am aware of the fact that the level is too horizontal and needs some verticality
i thought that adding weapons besides the buster was going to make the stage too easy

on my next level, i'll try to improve enemy placement, add vertical segments, spice up the difficulty and add a bunch of secrets here and there to make a more exciting level
me: makes joke

friend: "that wasn't very nice"

me:

Sixsack

Post by Sixsack » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:26 pm

The aesthetics were pretty nice but I couldn't really play it past the first checkpoint, the level was so slow for some reason (probably due to all the different tiles) but from what I played, it was alright
*sexy wiggle*

StoneColdSolidus

Post by StoneColdSolidus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:01 pm

got alot of the original Bubble Man Stage

the rest has been already said... good Level design, not that good enemy placements

gave it a thumb up cause its kinda better than my "first level" I think

runarbm

Post by runarbm » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:01 pm

Very Bubble Man-y, with some interesting twists. A bit frog-heavy, it quickly gets repetetive in the first section. Overall nice job. To me this is what MMM is for: playing around with familiar elements and mechanics in novel settings and combinations (rather than, say, overly long and complex stages/making Mega Man into something it's not).

Slope_Man

Post by Slope_Man » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:32 pm

A very decent stage, and I appreciate that it isn't 4050 screens. Aesthetically, it's great. I like how Toad man is an actual challenge this time.

There's a lot of little things that could be better, however. Too many frogs yes, especially since there are like 8 in a row at the start. When a new enemy came I was like 'oh thank god'. It seems like you could've mixed that up more with some enemies from the 2nd half, they come a little bit out of nowhere, even though they fit well enough with the theme.

Also, the shield attacker underwater don't really do all that much once they've dropped their shield, since they pretty much fire over you.

Another thing is the crash lift gimmicks. Don't let anyone tell you ever that this is a good gimmick, 'many small crash lifts form unstable platform which you may fall through' is never fun. To be fair, I can mostly ignore standing on them for long, the water helps and I enjoyed the section they were used in, but they were also never really that utilised. Seems like maybe if you just would've stuck to one gimmick (springs) it could've been more coherent.

There also seems to be no reason for this checkpoint to be an entire looparound. I understand why you chose the shape, maybe you could've 'cheated' the structure and aesthetic anyway with how it looks by just putting the checkpoint at the top, instead of making me go around every time I die in the 2nd half.

Finally, that first scrolling section with the crabs is a little... 'pretty much bubble man but instead of descending jellyfish it's crabbots'. It's just a little too familiar maybe.

But despite all these things I thought this was a fun level overall. Looking forward to new ones. Good job!