FAN-SWIRL CITY! Cool new stage I swear!

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
ZombieswithJetpacks

FAN-SWIRL CITY! Cool new stage I swear!

Post by ZombieswithJetpacks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:02 am

Hey everyone! I recently discovered Mega Man Maker and have been hard at work creating my first level! I put alot of effort into it, so I hope it is alot of fun for anyone inclined to play it! :D

Difficulty: Moderate/ Slightly Hard

Length: Medium-ish level with 2 checkpoints!

Style: Traditional-ish Megaman Level!

Fan-Swirl City

Here are a few screenshots taken from some of the earlier screens of the level:

Please give me any feed back you see fit. I hope to contribute more to this game and grow to enjoy the community of this amazing game.

ihazkirbro

Re: FAN-SWIRL CITY! Cool new stage I swear!

Post by ihazkirbro » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 am

This is your first level? Then this is amazing! You already seem to know some great things about good level design!

However, its not perfect, as Feedback:tm: is an important thing for making better levels, i will give you some tips.
Be aware though, i have not finished your level due to either my own bad play or your level design (lets hope its the first one)so some of these tips may be inaccurate.

1. Enemy choice and placement: I know this is a hard one to get right, but the Beak (yes, i looked at the enemy names) in the second room is a bit weridly placed, it can easily knock players off the platform without warning, Also, the Yaffu's throughout the stage are kinda placed in mean ways, such as the one near the pit in the 5th or so room. i recommend that you pick enemy's that suit the structure of the stage, and then place them accordingly, otherwise, they will be much harder to deal with

2. Too many spikes: Spikes are mean, no matter where they are, but they definitely serve a purpose as the "Ultimate Hazard" and are useful in places they are needed (design-wise not game-play wise), however, too many can make a stage too difficult, the spikes on the ceiling in some rooms are kinda mean, and the "Spike Dive" is just plain wrong, its too long, lacks water (to slow descent, this is important) , and has platforms in the middle that can throw you off. i recommend simply not putting as many spikes in your levels, and making sure they are placed in fair ways.

3. Overused wall tiles: While its much easier to make your level using only one tile (which you didn't do, it's just that one tile was used too much), its much better to mix tiles within walls, the walls are mostly made out of one tile in this level. To fix this use 2-4 tilesets in your walls and make patterns with them, be it outlines, snaking patterns, or even just a straight line, its much better than one tile.

Thats all i have for right now, i might give you more if i end up finishing your level, but for the most part, its pretty good, wish you luck on making better levels!
I'm mostly a Megaman 8 Bit Deathmatch player, but this games good too.

ZombieswithJetpacks

Post by ZombieswithJetpacks » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:06 pm

Hey thanks for the feedback I really appreciate the advice. :D

I will say enemy placement is a struggle. I tried to come up with a consistent theme and the Yaffu's seemed like a fun, if not cruel gimmick. A big issue I have when making a level is testing it, as since I'm the only one who really gets to test a level, things become memorized and easier over time, taking away from my understanding of how a player who didn't make the stage would play it. As such, some of the Yaffu obstacles over time as I tested seemed to be "to easy", but the reality is I probably just had memorized the exact inputs necessary to get past certain obstacles. Same thing probably happened with my spike placement to.

As far as the tilesets go I agree, the level gets a bit bland with all that green. I'm working on a second level now and have chosen 3 different tiles from across games who's aesthetic mesh well with one another as to mix up the scenery.

As a way to help make my levels feel a little more fair, I am now going to adopt the following rules when designing a level from hear on out:

Rule 1: When is seems to easy or to hard after playing through scenarios and obstacles dozens of times, I will make it slightly easier. Hopefully this will help avoid certain jumps or enemy placements from becoming to cruel. I am afraid this will sometimes make things to easy in my levels, but I think that is better than making things to hard. Hopefully I can learn to strike a balance between difficulty, fairness, and fun.

Rule 2: I will hold back on spikes and instant death hazards a bit more. Hopefully this will lead to less bullshit and feels bad moments.

Rule 3: I won't be afraid to mix up and try new tile sets!

Moving forward I hope these help me to become a better level designer for this amazing game.

By the way I seriously appreciate the feedback and taking the time to play the level, it means alot and hopefully moving forward my level design is a little less garbage :D

ihazkirbro

Post by ihazkirbro » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:24 pm

Glad i could help! And trust me, your level design is nowhere near garbage, i was just seeing if i could improve it in any way and found a few problems, which i noted then noted fixes for. While i wasn't able to complete your level, i was hopefully able to make a more complete view on level design for you, and at the end of the day, the future matters more than the past doesn't it? I hope so, because I'm sure your gonna be an incredible level designer someday...
I'm mostly a Megaman 8 Bit Deathmatch player, but this games good too.