Petrol Quarry / ID: 379389

Showcase your own levels here. Make sure to provide the level ID, a description and at least one screenshot
Minoru Leonardo

Petrol Quarry / ID: 379389

Post by Minoru Leonardo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:06 am

Type: Special Weapon only (Oil Slider)

Length: Medium

Difficulty: Upper Path has higher difficulty since it's based on surfing and avoiding instant-death hazards. The lower path is focused on combat and thus is somewhat less difficult depending on how you take it.

Mechanics: The level focus solely on using the properties of Oil Slider to complete it.

Characters: Mega Man

Weapons: Oil Slider only.

Additional: The level has two bosses. One of the each path.
Also please be mindful that this level is fairly big and might take a while to load.

Direct link: https://megamanmaker.com/?level=379389

Pictures:
Branching paths. The red one focuses on "surfing" and the blue one goes for a slower, more combat oriented route.

Level's size
  1. Mount Springs [ID: - WIP -]
  2. Flying Kick Falls [ID: 75358]
  3. Ambersand Fortress [ID: 178033]
  4. Kyanite Veins [ID: - WIP -]
  5. Magnes Trials [ID: 84169]
  6. Kairos Core [ID: 382134]
  7. Boreas Bluff [ID: - WIP -]
  8. Petrol Quarry [ID: 379389]

memelord69

Re: Petrol Quarry / ID: 379389

Post by memelord69 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:13 am

I only did the top path, and it wasn't that interesting tbh. It was the same jumps repeated over and over. For most sections, you didn't even need to ride the oil weapon, you could make it on foot just fine. The oil weapon gives you access to double jumps, which you should've used imo.

The boss was closer to the difficulty I had hoped for, so it came out alright. The problem is that the level has so much junk; by the time you get to the boss, the game is already lagging and stuttering, causing jump inputs to be eaten without warning.

Sometimes, less is more, and it applies to this level imo. The giant early sections don't justify the lag and time sink. Making them less repetitive and introducing a variety of challenges (especially taking advantage of the double jump) would go a long way
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Magic Bouncing Ball 307148
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 257962
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465

Minoru Leonardo

Post by Minoru Leonardo » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:06 am

Thanks for playing the level. I was thinking the level was a bit too long with the upper path, but my first version of this level was awfully short and had way too many near perfect jumps which double jump wouldn't cover due to the nature of the gimmicks in the level.

Speaking of which, I didn't want to do rely on double jumps because, honestly, I didn't find an intuitive way to teach players on how to do that. Besides I was downright sick of seeing levels that relied on timing double jumps with weapon cancels and wanted to do something more straightforward.

The level size was another thing I tried to shave off. It was even bigger and I sincerely am not making a level as big as this one anytime soon either (at least not until the game doesn't lag as much).

Still, what I aimed for the upper path was showcasing each trick and mesh all of them together in the boss room. I guess I did go overboard with them. Something to keep in mind for future levels.
  1. Mount Springs [ID: - WIP -]
  2. Flying Kick Falls [ID: 75358]
  3. Ambersand Fortress [ID: 178033]
  4. Kyanite Veins [ID: - WIP -]
  5. Magnes Trials [ID: 84169]
  6. Kairos Core [ID: 382134]
  7. Boreas Bluff [ID: - WIP -]
  8. Petrol Quarry [ID: 379389]

Tyler-bot

Post by Tyler-bot » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:19 am

Wasn't a fan of this level. First off: All the oil-slide barriers that you require players to break in multiple spots really don't add anything to the gameplay... It just seems a little tedious and redundant... not to mention adding tons of unnecessary lag to the experience. And there was no gimmick introduction followed by not using oil-slide's double-jump function. To teach something like this just make a single screen with a platform at on side that can only be reached by using the double-jump. If players can't figure it out, oh well, I guess, :roll: . Not much else to say, really. I think this could be re-worked and trimmed down... maybe make less of those long oil-riding sections altogether and make it more vertical in some areas, forcing players to use the double oil-jump and have more combat throughout. Take out the branching path or make it shorter and lead to a cool weapon or E-Tank... Either way, it was an honest effort and I hope to see a reworked version someday! :D