full game level

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
dark storm

full game level

Post by dark storm » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:10 am

so,i don't know if someone did it before but,i will make a level that will be like a full mega man game called(mega man ultimate),8 bosses, 3 castle stages,the levels of the 8 bosses won't be long nor short,it'll be something in between,but i want some suggestions for some robot masters to use in the castle stages other than those 8 normal bosses:
1)sharp man(metal man)
2)glacier man(ice man)
3)saturn man(ring man)
4)blaze man(flame man)
5)nerf man(crash man)
6)typhoon man(wind man)
7)water man(pump man)
8)vampire man(shade man)

Hyenyaku
Discord: [T]ornado[H]yenyaku

Re: full game level

Post by Hyenyaku » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:32 am

Well here's my suggestion: Just don't! Don't stuff a whole game into one level. No one would enjoy that slow and laggy thing.
THE MAD KAIZO LAND: #284657
ITEM-2 FUN KAIZO LAND: #289079
THE BLOODY BRUTAL KAIZO LAND: #297986
THE STORMY ACROBATIC KAIZO LAND: #308951
ASSASSIN CLIMBING KAIZO LAND: #350285
PRIMROSE SWAP KAIZO LAND: #368272
MAXIMUM IMPACT KAIZO LAND: #383036

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:41 pm

dark storm wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:10 am
so,i don't know if someone did it before
Yes, I did it. Nobody played it because:

1) It's too big for the server, so it HAS to be downloaded, and nobody wants to download levels because they fear viruses.

2) It takes over 10 minutes JUST to load! Nobody can wait that long for a level to load!

Wanna try it out for yourself? Download it here: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9892

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm

If you want, I can give you tips to make a complete game in another way, I'm neither good nor too bad to do it.

dark storm

Post by dark storm » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:57 pm

14Protoman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm
If you want, I can give you tips to make a complete game in another way, I'm neither good nor too bad to do it.
okay,tell me

fancut

Post by fancut » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:18 pm

I have 2 levels with that concept. You can p`lay them to give you some ideas and download it to see how everything is put together. They take like 10 minutes to beat. Here are the levels:
-A megaman game in a nutshell V2. Level ID: 397388
This one has 8 short stages and a Willy level. I recomend you to play this one if you want to expand the concept. Its not perfect but, based on feedback, its enjoyable.
-A true mega man adventure. Level ID:395676.
This one only have 8 short stages. Still, its good enough. In this one you can play as Mega man, Bass and Proto man.

General tips:
1) When you test your level, always change your stage order. Each stage must be completed with buster only. This also makes you think on the many combinations a player can play your level. Perfect for testing difficulty.
2) As for bosses, you can put any boss you want. I suggest that each boss gives its weapon. Its kinda weird defeating Cut man and obtain Crash bomb. Not a must, but it makes it clearer which boss will you face and what weapon will you gain.
3) Each section must be short. Remember, you cant quit and continue a level. Short sections are prefered.
4) Make sure your weapons have some utilities either for platforming or fighting.
5) Have fun :)

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:48 pm

dark storm wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:57 pm
14Protoman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:16 pm
okay,tell me
Okay, sorry for the delay, the fact is that to create a level package you have to manage.
Complete games are something that almost any user does, in particular I, I try to make it very complete, I mean that the game has the mechanics of mega Man 7 and 11, that is, the bosses react to their weaknesses and the normal enemies have weaknesses also, but hey, that's for later, the important thing now is how to make a complete game.
To make a complete game you do not have to summarize everything in one level, you have to make a pack of levels where there are different bosses, enemies and all that, but separately, because a level with many screens causes the server to crash.
If you want I can give you advice on how to make them and some personal opinions that may also be useful.

Jevedor

Post by Jevedor » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:13 pm

I was able to make a level with 4 bosses and a final boss, which was about as big as I was willing to go.
https://megamanmaker.com/?level=434005

Has under 80 rooms, but that is still a lot. It doesn't lag though, and plays pretty well. Takes between 20-45mins, depending on how much you die, and how good your memory is.

Good luck with your level. I'd really recommend not going above 4 RMS OR make their levels very short. 6 rooms max.

If you look at the math:
Intro level = 3-4 + 1boss room = 4-5rooms
RM1-8 = 5-6 rooms + 1 boss room = 48-56rooms
Fortress1-4 = 4-5 rooms + 1 boss room = 20-24rooms
Final level = 3-4 rooms+1-2 boss rooms = 4-6rooms
total = 76-91 rooms

76-91 is a lot. but with 4 RMS and 2Fortress levels it goes down to 42-51 rooms, which is long but not terrible.

Happy APPY

Post by Happy APPY » Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:04 am

I did a half assed attempt. It featured 4 robot master stages (i tried to copy the level layouts of Metal Man, Bomb Man, Fire Man, and... maybe Hard Man(?) which drop their weapon upon beating them.... bosses that arent in MMM just had their weapon on the floor. There was no final boss because I was lazy and never finished it. It lagged like hell. It just had 4 weapon barriers and like time man in some ugly arena probably.

MrDocrobot

Post by MrDocrobot » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 am

dark storm wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:10 am
so,i don't know if someone did it before but,i will make a level that will be like a full mega man game called(mega man ultimate),8 bosses, 3 castle stages,the levels of the 8 bosses won't be long nor short,it'll be something in between,but i want some suggestions for some robot masters to use in the castle stages other than those 8 normal bosses:
1)sharp man(metal man)
2)glacier man(ice man)
3)saturn man(ring man)
4)blaze man(flame man)
5)nerf man(crash man)
6)typhoon man(wind man)
7)water man(pump man)
8)vampire man(shade man)
Trust me. I learned the hard way when it comes to making levels like that. That's why when I do my Megamix series, I split them up into parts, and the levels themselves are shortened remixes.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:44 pm

Using the guidelines of the "How to reduce lag in MMM" thread I created a very manageable "Mini-game" level. What little feedback I got was positive.

Cameos vs Remixed Mega Man 1 Level

The developers themselves made a very large hub level for ver 1.6 (Developers' Challenges) and even though the load time was extremely long (I rebooted MMM once thinking it had locked up) the level itself ran very well once ingame and was super fun.

Mini-game hub levels are totally doable, it just has to be done in a way that suits MMM's limitations.

I'm hoping a "Developers' Challenges 2" is packaged in MMM ver 1.7. Those kind of hub levels featuring all the new content are a great way to acclimate users to the new features. I hope the Devs do one for each patch moving forward. :mrgreen: