Fire Man and Fire Wave Relocators

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
ChickenMcNuggets

Fire Man and Fire Wave Relocators

Post by ChickenMcNuggets » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 pm

Random thing I did with Fire Man.

Do you think this could be an interesting boss room design?

Footage curtesy of the F7 key.
Back and at it again in Mega Maker V1.7.0! Glad we made it here!

supersmashgaming
Discord: supersmashgaming#0082

Re: Fire Man and Fire Wave Relocators

Post by supersmashgaming » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:04 am

Yeah that looks like it can be used as a boss. Also Fire Man works underwater two. Thought they would do the same thing they did to Splash and Bubble.
Levels:
Banzai Woman

Uranus
Discord: Uranus#7544

Post by Uranus » Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 pm

That's pretty cool tbh
Uranus is finally back. Message me on Discord if you have any issues with the forums or the wiki. Or contact the other mods if I'm not active.

JOIN THE UNITED CORPARATIONS TODAY!!

pm me to do so

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:58 pm

Uranus wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:26 pm
That's pretty cool tbh
It is! Makes for some interesting ideas for boss combo fights where Fire Man is at top and the player is fighting another RM below.

ZombieFlanders

Post by ZombieFlanders » Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:31 pm

Yes, it is a cool and interesting boss room. I like the design as a random fire generator. As a boss room for another boss to go in, it works very well. The fire waves cover a nice area while leaving ample sides to stand in safely.

I made a level that has five Fire Man fights with unique boss rooms: (Link: https://megamanmaker.com/?level=501453)

What I learned when experimenting with Fire Man and the Relocators are these guidepost / rules:

(1) All fire must exit. Even looping them outside the arena will slow the game down as it chugs to load a billion of them.

(2) Too many relocators = too many visuals to track. Fire wave movement in a relocator is different than a straight up fire wave attack in terms of player processing. The changes in direction and amount of fire waves can overwhelm the player visually.

(3) Don't let fire waves completely shut down an area in the room by having relocators with overlapping pathing (+ formation). Have enough separation between fire wave attacks and relocator pathing for the player to still move in and out of.

This boss room follows those rules well! The fire waves exit on the bottom. There are only two relocators, well spaced. The pathing does not overlap the same area letting players move in and out of the danger zones, and there is ample space on both sides to escape to. Level makers should remember this design. Great job!