Hiding Enemies in Oil/Crunchrans

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
D-Man

Hiding Enemies in Oil/Crunchrans

Post by D-Man » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:29 am

Apparently it's frowned upon. And yet, I cannot think of any other way to make Crunchrans threatening. Besides them, here are other enemies small enough to hide in oil:
  • Spine (MM1)
  • Croaker (mini frogs only)
  • Subeil
What do you think of hiding enemies in oil, and if there are better setups for Crunchrans, let me know.
Last edited by D-Man on Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting for King Knight and The Delicious Last Course (and 1.6).
Levels:
Darkness Crypt - Megaman (339203)
Excitement Emporium - Megaman (339627)
Trinitro Towers - Megaman (344128)
Cascade Pipeway - Megaman (349271)
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

V1ralGam3r
Discord: #1787

Re: Hiding Enemies in Oil

Post by V1ralGam3r » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:07 pm

Yeah, deliberately hiding information in general is considered bad design for most cases - s'probably why people hate Up & Down-type enemies, just for being unable to see something coming unless it's already hit (and likely killed) you before. In an editor scenario, people aren't likely to replay your stage multiple times to memorize it and perfect run it when there's a literal ocean of other things to move on with, so stuff like that just ends up as an annoyance to move away from sooner rather than later. :?

As for crunchrans, they're a decent form of pressure to keep a player moving. If you have areas where a player could be expected to wait about and snipe out any danger, putting one or two of the little guys on that platform gives them incentive to go forwards and deal with things instead of getting their ankles bit off. Sure, spines may do this as well, but crunchrans are a touch more forgiving in the fact they don't hurt 24/7 or speed up.
Knight needs caffeine badly.

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:24 am

I've attempted to put a Crunchran on a Cossack Platform, to moderate success:
When a Crunchran senses the player nearby, its eye bobs back and forth 4 times before pursuing/chomping them. Leaving their horizontal axis will prevent them from moving. So, when boarding the platform, the player needs to remember to jump on the 4th eye movement to avoid getting hurt.

Putting null Weapon Blocks to the sides of the platform would prevent the player from ruining the setup.
Waiting for King Knight and The Delicious Last Course (and 1.6).
Levels:
Darkness Crypt - Megaman (339203)
Excitement Emporium - Megaman (339627)
Trinitro Towers - Megaman (344128)
Cascade Pipeway - Megaman (349271)
Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:30 am

D-Man wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:24 am
I've attempted to put a Crunchran on a Cossack Platform, to moderate success:
When a Crunchran senses the player nearby, its eye bobs back and forth 4 times before pursuing/chomping them. Leaving their horizontal axis will prevent them from moving. So, when boarding the platform, the player needs to remember to jump on the 4th eye movement to avoid getting hurt.

Putting null Weapon Blocks to the sides of the platform would prevent the player from ruining the setup.
That just feels pacebreaking... might need work.
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE