My complete game level design thread

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
14Protoman

My complete game level design thread

Post by 14Protoman » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Okay, guys, i won´t wait somebody tell me
Somebody post wrote:Hey dude, Why you don´t do a thread of your complete game level design?.....greet me
I do not know how nobody knows me in that topic in the forums, but i don´t worry, without more for say...:

How to design a good type of complete game in MMM

Weapons:

Weapons are most important things in complete games, becaouse this assets define your fate and your actions, so you have to pay close attention for which weapons for choice, because if you choose a boring weapon, that could be the less used weapon in the game, for example: Silver Tomahawk is (At least for me) a boring weapon, i just shoot an axe in an low opportune angle and this have low utility; but for example: Danger Wrap is a very cool weapon, because i can do pass mines in conveyor belts and other movile platforms, i can wrap small enemies in a bubble and cause more damage in enemies than with an empty bubble.
In other worlds, you have to choose good weapons for make a good game.
Personal advice:
Select weapons with explorative utilities;
Some enemies are weak to some weapons, you try of select weapons that can do it, and try to not mix too much weapons with same advantage.

Music:

Okey, i won´t explain too much, just select a soundtrack that fits well into the level, you have to give the feeling of the environment in which the player is.

Backgrounds:

If you want make a good mega man level, you have to select good backgrounds dor your levels, ask yourself: What class of level i want do?, if you wanna make a forest, you can select the backgrounds of Wood/Torch/Concrete Man Backgrounds, i do not say Plant/Napalm/Search Man, because that are jungle, not forest, something you have to considerate in your level is know how to distinguish well those small differences.

Tiles

Same than Backgrounds, but don´t scare for quantity of tilesets, somethimes more is better. A good idea is convine some tilesets as if it were filler, for example: You can put one tile in middle of another tile, for simulate that is another thing more that at first sight.

Player

I created a good player system for play some games, if you put utility weapons and thoose are diferent depending on the character, you can put diferent teleporters for limit selectable profits.

Enemies

And finally, not the most important category, but the one I like the most: The enemies.
You have to be very careful with which enemies to choose in a level, because a bad election, can ruin a good level design, and a thing more difficult but it's worth trying is set enemies with weaknesses to certain weapons and some more difficult is that it weapon be same weakness that with the level boss, some difficult, but my game is a good example, other idea is put mid bossese in level and play with them putting them weaknesses taking advantage of the environment.

Level objects

Choose what you think best fits a level when it comes to level objects you havn´t why select water or yoku blocks for it be a Mega Man game, but select a good location for checkpoints, personally, i select screens quantity of a level and if are twenty or more i put it every eight screens, if are thirty or more, are ten.

Pickups

Just select a fair quantity of them for each level limit yourself to ten or thirten.

Boss

Take advantage of the bosses with cool paterns and use it for good custom enviroments, this is something i cannot for tell you, it has to get out of your heart. a good idea is use bosses with qualities that interact with weapons, for example, later i could do a vide for explan.

Okay, without more to say, suscribe my channel and..... see you soon (?

Fluff Man

Re: My complete game level design thread

Post by Fluff Man » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:56 pm

14Protoman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:16 pm

Weapons:

Weapons are most important things in complete games, becaouse this assets define your fate and your actions, so you have to pay close attention for which weapons for choice, because if you choose a boring weapon, that could be the less used weapon in the game, for example: Silver Tomahawk is (At least for me) a boring weapon, i just shoot an axe in an low opportune angle and this have low utility; but for example: Danger Wrap is a very cool weapon, because i can do pass mines in conveyor belts and other movile platforms, i can wrap small enemies in a bubble and cause more damage in enemies than with an empty bubble.
Personal advice:
Some enemies are weak to some weapons, you try of select weapons that can do it, and try to not mix too much weapons with same advantage.
I would have to disagree, as long as you don’t have any redundant weapons (like two screen clear weapons) you don’t really have to put much thought into weapons, unless you’re changing the main weapon having a simple selection will suffice.

The most important aspect in my opinion is the level objects, a level that’s just a straight line is boring, a level with bumps and gaps is better, a level that’s a straight line with enemy’s is better then a straight line but still boring, but a level that’s a straight line with level objects can stand on its own, they are the things that give levels life. Weapons are just a cherry on top.
FEAR MY FLUFF OF DOOM

MEGAMAN -1 Megamaker Fangame in Progress!
Also, working 50/50 uncheatable randomizer that anyone can copy into their levels! level ID 353798
Best Megaman theme: https://youtu.be/Z2ACqGtQodM

memelord69

Re: My complete game level design thread

Post by memelord69 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:04 am

14Protoman wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:16 pm
Weapons:

Personal advice:
You have to be careful with having too many weapon interactions. The more your weapons interact with the environment, the more careful testing you'll have to do. I've seen so many levels where they give us a ton of mobility options or weapons with multiple applications, and the level ends up breaking because of them. Things like Charge Kick, Wind Storm, Tornado Hold, Mega Ball, Pile Driver, etc, are all very frequent offenders in terms of breaking levels. Having fire/water interactions can often lead to softlocks if energy placement isn't handled carefully. And having a bunch of these features thrown together can lead to a tonnnn of unintended interactions.
Having "boring" weapons makes testing a lot more straightforward

That said, you can definitely combine things. I do it all the time in my levels. It becomes increasingly complex tho, so you needa be extra careful about the ENTIRE level's layout with respect to the options given
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Magic Bouncing Ball 307148
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 257962
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465