What is MMLVEditor and where to get it?

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
Sphyria
Discord: DumbRobot#8782

Post by Sphyria » Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:13 pm

And how to use it?

Filibuster22

Re: What is MMLVEditor and where to get it?

Post by Filibuster22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:32 pm

Sphyria wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:13 pm
And how to use it?

https://github.com/godot-mega-man/mega- ... /tag/0.7.0

It's very user friendly and simple to use.

UlticraftMTT
Discord: MettatonEX#9160

Post by UlticraftMTT » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 pm

Filibuster22 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Sphyria wrote:
And how to use it?

Should have DMed them, as Snowflakes, the creator of the editor, has stated not to post it on the official Mega Man Maker servers or forums

1/2/9/10 SFX Mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=91154#p91154
Game Boy Mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10508

hail boognish

Upcoming mods: Mega Man Maker Plus 2

Sphyria

Post by Sphyria » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 pm

Filibuster22 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:32 pm
Sphyria wrote:
And how to use it?

Lol! Why are you modifying my level? :lol:

Thanks for the link.

Filibuster22

Post by Filibuster22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm

UlticraftMTT wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 pm
Should have DMed them, as Snowflakes, the creator of the editor, has stated not to post it on the official Mega Man Maker servers or forums
That's what README files are for...
Sphyria wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 pm
I'm not! It's high up on the list because of the "-" so I thought it would be funny :lol:

Sphyria

Post by Sphyria » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Filibuster22 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:50 pm
Sphyria wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:20 pm
I'm not! It's high up on the list because of the "-" so I thought it would be funny :lol:
Haha, it's ok. :D

Tyler-bot

Post by Tyler-bot » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm

- I initially viewed text-editing as 'worthless' or 'low-effort' due to seeing so many levels that utilized it but had less than good 'actual' level-design. Now I see I was way wrong, :o ! Things such as changing yoku-block or time bomb timers, altering enemy-hp, along with numerous other applications beyond mere aesthetics-alteration definitely are appealing! Hopefully when v1.0 of this program releases publicly, it will be as intuitive as the MMM level editor is! I can only imagine what builders like TREMIC1 and Nickelasse or Daibuman could make using this! :shock:

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 pm

I can agree with all of you that this awesome tool is very easy to use...

...but it's very tedious when it comes to tile editing: you have to select and implement specific tiles every. Single. Time! No offense, but you need to have patience in order to use it effectively.
* For remakes of official Mega Man stages, that's fine.
* For levels that you prefer to create yourself? May not be that much.

UPDATE: I've decided to do some rigorous testing with this level editing tool... and discovered this:

Looks like certain tiles from given tilesets can be clipped through. Apparently, it appears to be the normal situation, thus the eventual 1.0 version of MMLV Editor MUST rectify this issue if possible.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:04 am

Casual Builder wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:48 pm
I can agree with all of you that this awesome tool is very easy to use...

...but it's very tedious when it comes to tile editing: you have to select and implement specific tiles every. Single. Time! No offense, but you need to have patience in order to use it effectively.
* For remakes of official Mega Man stages, that's fine.
* For levels that you prefer to create yourself? May not be that much.
I dont think you see its full potential, man! I cluttered this together in 10 minutes, look how awesome this shit is:
(I realise i messed up a few bricks there they look a bit off, but still)! :lol:

You can actually paint inside walls now! You absolutely must start using this tool, man. You can make so many cool things we could not previously!
Tyler-bot wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm
- I initially viewed text-editing as 'worthless' or 'low-effort' due to seeing so many levels that utilized it but had less than good 'actual' level-design. Now I see I was way wrong, :o ! Things such as changing yoku-block or time bomb timers, altering enemy-hp, along with numerous other applications beyond mere aesthetics-alteration definitely are appealing! Hopefully when v1.0 of this program releases publicly, it will be as intuitive as the MMM level editor is! I can only imagine what builders like TREMIC1 and Nickelasse or Daibuman could make using this! :shock:
Hell, yeah. I hope you'll be using this too, tyler. Since I got this software I have not been able to do anything besides building in mega man maker. xD

Building easier levels made me realize how difficult it is to keep a stage "light" yet interesting at the same time. It is a fun challenge projected to the creator rather than to the player. ;)

supersmashgaming
Discord: supersmashgaming#0082

Post by supersmashgaming » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:27 am

You can really make something like that!?
Levels:
Banzai Woman

Not really on the forums a lot now a days. I'm mostly on discord now.

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:34 am

supersmashgaming wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:27 am
You can really make something like that!?
Well, you can do way more awesome stuff than what I just put together! ;)
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Building easier levels made me realize how difficult it is to keep a stage "light" yet interesting at the same time. It is a fun challenge projected to the creator rather than to the player. ;)

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:38 am

Casual Builder wrote:
Looks like certain tiles from given tilesets can be clipped through. Apparently, it appears to be the normal situation, thus the eventual 1.0 version of MMLV Editor MUST rectify this issue if possible.
Those are center tiles and i believe they are always passable even in the regular game. We just cant put them out on the grid since the center tiles are always bundled in the middle by the auto tiler.

Try and abuse those center tiles to build backgrounds as I just showcased there. ;)

Tyler-bot

Post by Tyler-bot » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 pm

- Yes, this is definitely something I'll be looking into as well, although I'll be waiting for the publicly released 1.0 version. Even with this program, however, it's still going to be a super tedious process considering the user has to build in the editor normally, save it, load it 'into' the LVEditor program, make changes and then load it 'back' into MMM to upload and all that. You cant' actually do anything like move enemies/tiles with the program, right? Only modify what's already placed? Would make play-testing a bitch, now that I think about it.... Either way, I'm going to get it eventually. Thanks to snowflakes for developing it!

Sphyria

Post by Sphyria » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:35 pm

Props to snowflakes for making this! This is really amazing and helpful.

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:44 pm

Tyler-bot wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:27 pm
- Yes, this is definitely something I'll be looking into as well, although I'll be waiting for the publicly released 1.0 version. Even with this program, however, it's still going to be a super tedious process considering the user has to build in the editor normally, save it, load it 'into' the LVEditor program, make changes and then load it 'back' into MMM to upload and all that. You cant' actually do anything like move enemies/tiles with the program, right? Only modify what's already placed? Would make play-testing a bitch, now that I think about it.... Either way, I'm going to get it eventually. Thanks to snowflakes for developing it!
I build however many screen I want and then load the stage in the text editor, move things around, save, proceed. You dont need to load anything back in mega man maker, when you save in the text editor it saves on mega man maker as well since they both use the same file.

It is a lot smoother that you'd expect. But, yeah. Enemies or gimmick items cannot be moved around yet. ;)
If you have not tried it, you need to. Your mind will explode with all the possibilities. Do not wait! :lol:

Just make sure that you try it out on a new stage, sit and fart around with it a bit in case you break something so you dont ruin a stage you've been working for a long time on.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:24 pm

This Snowflake guy really IS on another level. This looks like a great supplemental tool for creating custom levels in MMM. 8-)

memelord69

Post by memelord69 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Casual Builder wrote:

That's because of how MegaMaker handles filler tiles. They have collision disabled within the engine to save load time and system resources. It's intentionally like that.
You can do it without the text editor too. Go into the regular level editor, and make a one way portal connecting from one screen to the other. In the destination portal room, fill the entire room with regular blocks. When you take the portal, you'll pop up inside the walls and only the borders of the terrain will have collision

This allows for decorative use of tiles in text edited levels
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Magic Bouncing Ball 307148
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 257962
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigMaster#4335

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:18 pm

Center tiles don't have collision, which is more apparent with clipping glitches.
Crossing a dangerous river

Shadow444

They deserve praise

Post by Shadow444 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:31 pm

The guys who created this program deserve real praise, a personal choice specific tileset, this is what i waited almost a year for the release of 1.6 and did not get it in the actual game! And here it is, what i need, guys well done for the work done. 8-)

Croby28

Post by Croby28 » Fri May 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Something that makes me worry is that snowlfakes wasn't online in the last few weeks :shock: