Pass-the-Level #1: Let's make a level together! [Commenced]

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
Raddest

Pass-the-Level #1: Let's make a level together! [Commenced]

Post by Raddest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:26 am

Hey there, welcome to Pass-the-Level! This is a community project where we collaboratively build a level, one screen at a time. The idea is simple: everyone takes turns contributing one screen to the level, then they pass it on to the rest of the community.

[Reservations are open. The weapon is Silver Tomahawk.]
The starting screen is available at ID 84101

How to Participate:
  • Check the later pages of this thread to see if the level is currently reserved.
  • If there is no current reservation, reply to this thread with “Reserving Level” in bold characters.
  • Once you have reserved, you have a maximum of 24 hours to post your new version of the level. If your reservation post is the most recent one in the thread, delete it and replace it with an update post. Otherwise, simply make a new post. The new level ID must be posted in bold.
  • Once you have updated the level or 24 hours have passed, the level is now free for others to reserve and edit!

Rules: They’re here to keep everything fun.
  • One reservation at a time! If the level is reserved, please wait until it’s free before reserving it yourself. That way, no one’s work is wasted.
  • Once you have reserved the level, please edit your post within 24 hours. Let’s keep the design process moving! If you don’t edit your post within 24 hours, the level will automatically be unreserved and others may reserve it.
  • Give others a chance. If you have recently made a reservation, please wait until at least 5 other designers have made edits before you make another reservation. Missing the deadline to edit the level counts as using up a reservation.
  • One screen at a time! Once you have reserved the level, please only add one screen’s worth of gameplay. Your new screen must be directly connected to and accessible from a previously existing screen.
  • Respect the work of others. You may make small edits to pre-existing screens, but only if they are directly connected to your screen and the edits are for the purpose of improving the transitions between the two screens. Use your judgement to evaluate the size of an edit. If it’s a significant change, consider communicating with the designer of the other screen and obtaining their permission to change it. Exception: since a level-end orb must be placed in order for the work-in-progress level to be published online, you may always remove the orbs/party balls used to beat the level from the screens created by others.
  • Please do not change the level’s weapon selection, mega buster charge style or disable the slide. Do not place bosses or extraneous level end orbs/party balls, as we will decide on the placement of the level’s ending as a community later on when the level is a reasonable length. Feel free to change the level’s music, but the final music choice will also be up to the community.
  • Updates may be contributed as online published versions of the level, and the level’s filename must be “Pass-the-Level 1#Your Name Edit.mmlv”. (Replace the bold with your username, but keep the hashtag.) In order to publish a level you downloaded, change the final three lines so that they match a level you made from scratch. Then, change the text between quotes on the penultimate line to “Pass-the-Level 1#Your Name Edit”. Don’t publish the level with a name that suggests it’s the final version!

Guidelines: Good principles to keep in mind.
  • Keep it fun. We’re here to make the best level we can, so contribute the best screen you can make!
  • Keep the difficulty in check. A hard-but-fair screen is great, and some well-placed enemies are always fun. A ridiculously difficult kaizo screen out of nowhere is not fun, and nobody likes dealing with a murder glob of enemies.
  • An extension of the last two points, but do try to place enemies where they are interesting and complement the level's theme. If the only good way to deal with an enemy is to take damage and/or move past it, consider changing the enemy’s role in your screen.
  • Keep the theme. It’s ok if the level’s look and feel changes over time as part of the level’s “story”, but have a good reason before you deviate from the established style.
  • Consider designing your screen before reserving the level, then editing it to fit into the current version once you have reserved. That way, you're essentially guaranteed to make the 24 hour update deadline.
  • As much as possible, try to keep the lag low.
Last edited by Raddest on Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sanct

Re: Pass-the-Level #1: Let's make a level together! [Theme Voting Stage]

Post by Sanct » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:58 am

Voting on the theme of the level before hand is honestly kind of an eh idea. Voting on the weapon is probably the best way you could come up with to handle that. I'd recommend just voting for weapons and letting the theme naturally meander when people start making it

Raddest

Post by Raddest » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:45 pm

That's a fair point. I'll keep the poll the same given that votes have already been cast, but we'll only use the weapon half of the poll result.

zyborg

Post by zyborg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:43 am

This sounds like fun! I'd like in on this action.

Savvy, eh?

Post by Savvy, eh? » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:34 am

Likewise! Count me in.
Jungle Mission - Infiltrate the Secret Base (62404)
Learn the tricks of the Charge Kick trade in a series of increasingly-challenging screens.

Raddest

Re: Pass-the-Level #1: Let's make a level together!

Post by Raddest » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:59 am

Glad you guys are interested :D

With five votes on Silver Tomahawk, the poll is closed. S.T. is the weapon we'll be using this time around.

Reservations are now open!

I've made a simple starting screen to kick things off, it's available at ID 84101

Sanct

Re: Pass-the-Level #1: Let's make a level together! [Commenced]

Post by Sanct » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:15 pm

well considering I've been the first to reply to this I think it's only fair for me to be reserving level

Edit: Also if we don't want the level to be public until it's done we could just pass around the mmlv file through PMs, that's also something that works (In fact it'd probably work better than releasing two screen levels that aren't finished. Also if we have a boss how are we handling that?

Edit 2: Considering I never got an update on my proposal I've uploaded the level

Isrieri

Post by Isrieri » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:53 pm

This is a cool idea!

Erm. If its okay I'll Reserve it for now. It'll just take me a few minutes.

EDIT: Done! ID = (88251)

I did something simple. Future use of those bridges could be a cool gimmick for the stage.

Mixsup

Post by Mixsup » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 pm

This is a really cool idea - I'm digging the level so far. I'll throw my hat into this and reserve it.

EDIT - Uploaded!

ID: 89848

Okay! I've added a screen going off of Isrieri's work, giving the player two different challenges depending on which path they took: having to slip past two Shield Attackers working together, or battling a Cannonpeller while a Shield Attacker keeps you busy. I've tried to keep both challenges around the same difficulty - I didn't want the player to feel punished for choosing a path.

I've made a minor alteration to Isrieri's screen, adding in a step for both paths for a better transition to my screen. I thought I'd bring the Skull Man tiles back from the first screen and I also wanted to incorporate the Ring Man tiles but I didn't have the space to use them in a way that's consistent with the previous screens.

Looking forward to the next screen!
Last edited by Mixsup on Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.

memelord69

Post by memelord69 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:17 pm

I might play around later, but for next time, @OP, you might want to just let people submit screenshots of their screen, and draw them in yourself. Less of a PR nightmare like that, in case the project ever grows in size
Assault on the Citadel 183101
Magic Bouncing Ball 307148
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 257962
Final Transmission 2 155321
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465
Fighting Infernal Flames 272513
Disastrous Factory 281324

Sanct

Post by Sanct » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 pm

Mixsup wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 pm
EDIT - Uploaded!

Probably should've replied to the topic with the ID so that people know that your edit was done

Mixsup

Post by Mixsup » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:15 pm

Sanct wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:06 pm
Mixsup wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:08 pm
EDIT - Uploaded!

Probably should've replied to the topic with the ID so that people know that your edit was done
Ah, I wasn't thinking when I edited my post - my apologies. I'll make sure to do that the next time around.

Raddest

Post by Raddest » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Sanct wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:15 pm
Edit: Also if we don't want the level to be public until it's done we could just pass around the mmlv file through PMs, that's also something that works (In fact it'd probably work better than releasing two screen levels that aren't finished. Also if we have a boss how are we handling that?
memelord69 wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:17 pm
I might play around later, but for next time, @OP, you might want to just let people submit screenshots of their screen, and draw them in yourself. Less of a PR nightmare like that, in case the project ever grows in size
The idea to pass the level via screenshot is a really good one. Passing the level via PM to keep things private doesn't sound entirely necessary, since it is a community project after all. How would you guys feel about adding the option to share the level via either pastebin, screenshot, or the current method of IDs?

As for bosses, I think once we have around 15-20 screens, we can decide exactly when we want the boss battle to happen. Once we do, we'd predetermine how many screens the boss fight will have (3-5 or so) then proceed as normal until the final screen, at which point the level will be finished.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate the effort to make this project as streamlined as it can be.

---

I have modified the third bullet point of the How to Participate section of the OP.
  • Once you have reserved, you have a maximum of 24 hours to post your new version of the level. If your reservation post is the most recent one in the thread, delete it and replace it with an update post. Otherwise, simply make a new post. The new level ID must be posted in bold.
---

Thanks for all the great work so far everyone, this level is really coming along. Upcoming vertical screen transition hype!

ShadowStarX

Post by ShadowStarX » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Reserving level

EDIT:
ID: 92120

Have fun continuing and playing this!

memelord69

Post by memelord69 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:47 am

edit:
I added a screen,
ID 92831

It's possible to no damage it pretty easily.
The goal is to kill all three hammer bros from the bottom of the screen. It's possible to kill all 3 from there. Slide around to dodge the hammers when they attack. Since they're synced, it's pretty easy to dodge it all.

The next person has room to expand up or to the right
Last edited by memelord69 on Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assault on the Citadel 183101
Magic Bouncing Ball 307148
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 257962
Final Transmission 2 155321
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465
Fighting Infernal Flames 272513
Disastrous Factory 281324

Sanct

Post by Sanct » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:15 am

sliding at the beginning of the screen is honestly kinda annoying to pull off

Raddest

Post by Raddest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 am

Checkpoint! Also gave the player an e-tank, but only if they're clever enough to get it ;)

Current level can be found at 107576

LunarHalcyon

Post by LunarHalcyon » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:04 am

I wish to reserve it, as of this post, from Thurs Aug 10, to Fri Aug 11.

I'll make a screen that's a soft-difficulty of some interesting mechanic, in fairness to the checkpoint that was established at this point. I have a few I wanted to try on Silver Tomahawk, that I couldn't rightfully fill an entire course with.

Will post back with my contribution.

Coincidentally, can someone agree on a naming algorithm to this? EDIT: Oh, I see how we're supposed to name it, I'm terrible at reading instructions I guess. Or I'm sleepy.

Few more questions, best if answered within 10 hours:
  1. Does it actually matter if we add our screen LINEARLY, or can we add it to an earlier screen as a bonus sidepath (rules seem to stipulate we can add sidepaths)
  2. Does it matter if it hard-transitions into my one screen, or can I extend my screen off the side of the previous entry's screen (without editing anything inside of their boundaries ofc)?
  3. Can I invoke a glitch I found to trick the editor to think a neighboring screen is active when blank, thus giving me access to screen-edge tileset sprites that aren't just barf-sauce?
  4. If an enemy touches the edge of the last screen, you build your next screen to require to backtrack, and thus backtracking invokes unavoidable damage re-entering the prior screen... how does one proceed?
    1. Make a screen that avoids backtracking instead?
    2. Ask the previous screen-creator if the enemy can be moved just 1 block?
    3. Do we wait until the level is finished and then "polish it" with minor tweaks to enemy placement perhaps?

EDIT: NOW I HAVE EVEN MORE QUESTIONS:
5) Can I officially start a "Super Secret Kaizo Sidepath" of the course :) ? I found a stupid-hard jump you can already make in the first two screens, just gotta make a screen below the 2nd, and then only-hardcore course-makers can reserve screens to add to that course, the stupidest-hard ones they can come up with. Maybe some checkpoints for sanity. Maybe. ;)

Salty-Spittoon, how tough are ya? 8-)

*Maniacal Laughter* :lol: :twisted: :evil:

Lol, sorry, I'm tired and got really excited with this. Entirely too much MegaMaker fer me, ty bruv.

MMLegends OceanTower | 131129
-BossBattle- DodgeballMan | Pt1 69799 Pt2 69691
MatrixMan -Puzzle- | 84526
Breaching Hazards | 102487
Elevator Action NES | 159204
Donkey Kong Classic | 194746

Raddest

Post by Raddest » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Woo, questions!

1. Nope. As long as it's accessible from an existing screen, you can place yours wherever you want. Sidepaths that go off on short tangents, sidepaths that go on long tangents and later reconnect to the "main" pathway, it's all fair game. Just follow the first guideline: keep it fun.

2. Screen transition selection is the jurisdiction of the creator of the new screen, so you can pick the one you prefer.

3. As long as the blank screen remains in the semi-dark state of blank screens, glitches for the purpose of aesthetics are absolutely fair game.

4. Since the enemy is a direct part of transitioning from one screen to the next, I'd count this as a small edit to a screen transition and you'd be free to edit the previous screen without anyone's permission. For example, if someone wanted to edit the first screen so that the Sniper Joe was a little further to the left, you wouldn't have to ask me. The level would probably look better if the entire screen was moved to the left rather than just the enemy, but that's a more significant edit, so I'd appreciate it if someone asked me about it first. That said, option b. is a good solution when in doubt, and option c. just sounds like a good idea in general.

5. Woah, you can make that jump? That's crazy. Given that the jump needed is insane to begin with, a Kaizo path would technically follow the second guideline, since it wouldn't be "out of nowhere". I wouldn't be opposed to you adding one! I'd be opposed to restricting who can edit which screens, but I can add a guideline that suggests keeping the difficulty and flavor in the spirit of the pathway you're editing. If you do end up adding a screen below the second one, you might want to add an indication inside the second screen to show that, if you can make the jump, the pathway is safe. (A ladder, perhaps)

No need to apologize for the questions! The excitement is great.

LunarHalcyon

Post by LunarHalcyon » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:07 am

Note about Name: Hashtag/poundsign/octothorpe/sharpsymbol/numbersign/tictactoeboard is not a valid character in level-name. I will still name it "Pass-the-Level 1 ShadyRounds Edit". I suggest making it "Pass-the-Level-1" for future reference, or "Pass-the-Level-2" for next time.

Okay, so as it turns out:

1) I got my screen working properly with the non-transition edge. At first, it made enemies poorly placed to kill with the weapon provided, but moving them made the platforms not work. That, and enemy despawn.

I figured out how to design the screen to take care of all those problems, may look a little weird, and be a little harder than intended, but it seems like a fun enough screen for me. Even made one of the jumps a little more forgiving (I like strict-jumps, but some do not).

2) In doing so, "screen transition causing unavoidable damage" became a non-issue. I'd say I'd put last screen enemies in entirely different places to begin with, since I redesigned that screen a few times for funzies (and then set it back exactly as it was), but that's nevertheless. Now it doesn't affect my screen, and both screens work together to add to the same goal and contribute the same enemy-handling in both screens.

3) The glitch doesn't leave it in a semi-dark state, it just leaves it 100% empty. You inch a bomb-tile up into the screen from below, and then inch it back out, move the bomb tile to some other screen in the map, and then delete it. The screen it moved into and out-of remains lit but empty, if it's never used then that's fine, it just tricks the editor into using edge-tiles there. If it is eventually used, then it also triggers edge tiles when it becomes used, nothing changed. Not sure if the editor remembers it being lit on reload. EITHER WAY, I found nice tiles to use anyway.

4) As I said before, on the previous screen, I'd have moved/added sniper joe to the bottom-left, and moved the upper-enemy down a square (it's gun fires into the air but bullets go too high to come back down), but that's irrelevant now that mine works. If the previous screen-owner wants to change any of that his next reservation, then my answer's already "yes" if it involves my screen, as long as it doesn't break mine. If it's done before my next reservation, I can tweak mine as well.

5) I will use a later reservation to put a bonus-screen/kaizo-path in the screen below the second-from-start, unless someone else uses it themselves. If they do, then at least it was used. I reckon most people won't be able to slide-jump on last pixel into a short-jump to get the distance to make it to the right-edge before falling off the bottom-edge.

Resulting Screen: I made a screen requiring, whether you go "up" or "down", you need to deal with left-screen's enemies, then fire-man, then clear a block at the BOTTOM LEFT, then go back into the left screen, on the way dealing with jet-shields, sniper-joe again, climb to the top path, fire-guy again, and make the jumps to descend the clear path.

Suggestions for the Next Screen-Creator: I left intentional flexibility for various options:

1) I'm granting permission (despite they're already allowed in the rules), to transition at the bottom toward the right, to transition at the bottom going down (delete a block and add a ladder), or make a ladder going from the top up, or make an opening going top>right. (under the strong suggestion that the screen to the right is created, the bottom-edge is incorporated; either a forked path, a bypass of the screen's hazards, a bonus E-tank cornered off in the room, or "somewhere", since it exists at all. I just don't want it leading to a wall or something trollish.)

2) As far as cosmetics go, this wall and the laddered-background at the edge of the screen, grants an opportunity, to either use new background, or to continue using sky. The flexibility is ambiguous, so the next screen would have some choices in their options.

3) This level is now open for reservations again! Next-Version My-Edit, can be found at ID: 109490.
LunarHalcyon Member: ShadyRounds(⚫͡ ͜ʟ⚫¬)

MMLegends OceanTower | 131129
-BossBattle- DodgeballMan | Pt1 69799 Pt2 69691
MatrixMan -Puzzle- | 84526
Breaching Hazards | 102487
Elevator Action NES | 159204
Donkey Kong Classic | 194746