Metroid 1 in MMM

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
Pika Luigi

Metroid 1 in MMM

Post by Pika Luigi » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:15 am

I have been slowly but surely making progress on my Metroid project, and I now have all of Brinstar and Norfair finished, and I'm working on Kraid's Lair at the moment. I'm almost 60% done, and after Kraid's, there's only Ridley's and Tourian left to do.

That said, would anybody be interested in me sharing the level file or uploading a beta version, or should I wait until I'm done to share it?
I'm-a Pika Luigi!

Gravitrax64

Re: Metroid 1 in MMM

Post by Gravitrax64 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:54 pm

Hmmm... Honestly I would finish it first and then upload it.
I really needed to update my signature...

Pika Luigi

Post by Pika Luigi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:43 pm

Alright. I should have this all finished soon enough anyway :)
I'm-a Pika Luigi!

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:58 pm

I started on one of these a while ago as well, but I didn't get much further than planning.

I chopped up Zebes and its zones into bite-size pieces and started inspecting features of each area to determine what does and does not work in Mega Man Maker, what could be adapted, what couldn't, cutting out areas that felt like extra padding, and the concept I was left with looked pretty good.

Honestly, I spent nearly as long doing all of that as I did selecting the (single) bgm to play for the entire "game".
This was before 1.7, obviously, but if I did it now, I'd be very thankful for the Music Changer!
(if you're curious, I narrowed it down on various criteria and eventually settled on Centaur man)

Anyway, I'm a huge Metroid nerd, and would be super into this.
If you're still open to have a play-tester, I'd be down.
I could even send you the notes and such from my own Metroid project, since I won't likely finish mine.
Not sure if there would be anything in there you can use, since you're 60% done mapping, but you never know.

Pika Luigi

Post by Pika Luigi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:04 am

Zephadus wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:58 pm

I chopped up Zebes and its zones into bite-size pieces and started inspecting features of each area to determine what does and does not work in Mega Man Maker, what could be adapted, what couldn't, cutting out areas that felt like extra padding, and the concept I was left with looked pretty good.
I definitely didn't do this part :lol:
I took the path of instead trying to build all the rooms, padding included, just so I could have the entire map at my disposal. I'm not sure why I decided this was a good idea, but I'm just going with it now! From this base, I want to make a true remake at some point

Music-wise, I didn't actually decide anything, rather, I just put whatever music I wanted to listen to while working on it. Luckily, since the Music Changer's release, I was able to pick songs that match well with Bosses and Areas, then find all of the NSFs I wanted to use (most of which, I had to extract myself) and bingo! Music decided ;)
Anyway, I'm a huge Metroid nerd, and would be super into this.
If you're still open to have a play-tester, I'd be down.
I could even send you the notes and such from my own Metroid project, since I won't likely finish mine.
Not sure if there would be anything in there you can use, since you're 60% done mapping, but you never know.
I'd like to finish up Kraid at least, but I could definitely share the level file, and I'm open to ideas. The level has traversed many updates, and I'd have to say the least creative thing at the moment is the enemies I used (I've used probably more girees than a Little Timmy level could have in it :P ) But in any case, my major focus has been tiling and creating all the rooms, but as the main goal was a 1:1 recreation first, it may be a bit boring for someone who doesn't know the original Metroid (which is why I do plan to make a true remake from this recreation), but as you're a Metroid nerd, I hope that you would still have fun traversing Zebes anyways.

All that's just a long way of saying: I'll keep you posted :D
I'm-a Pika Luigi!

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:15 am

Ooh, full-scale and room-for-room, eh?
I'd be curious to see how you're handling the size constraints.
As far as I know, there isn't enough vertical space to just plop Zebes down as is.
On my map, Norfair is physically to the right of Brinstar, but the elevators use Teleporters, so if you were to map the world out the way it looks to the player, it would still line up as presented in Metroid.

For custom NSFs, my understanding is that you still pick a song from the list of mega Man music, but simply replace those files with (presumably) Metroid music.
As far as I know, this only works on your own PC, and doesn't affect what other players will hear.
So unless there's some widely-used mod that I missed in my probably year-long absence from the site, players would instead hear the song that was replaced (let's say Cut Man's theme), rather than sweet, sweet Metroid tunes.

Pika Luigi

Post by Pika Luigi » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:49 pm

Zephadus wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:15 am
Ooh, full-scale and room-for-room, eh?
I'd be curious to see how you're handling the size constraints.
As far as I know, there isn't enough vertical space to just plop Zebes down as is.
You'll have to see how I did it when I send it to you :D

As far as the NSFs, I collected all the replacements in a Google Drive folder that I'm also going to share when I release the level. Unfortunately, it would take too much server space for custom music according to the devs, but sharing the files as a sort of "music patch" works just fine
I'm-a Pika Luigi!