Zephadus

How To: Screenshots and Level maps

Post by Zephadus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:53 am

Previously, in the Level Showcase board:
Too Many People wrote: "Sorry, I don't know how to post screenshots."
Meanwhile, pinned to the top of the Level Showcase board:
WreckingPrograms wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:37 pm
Press F9 to make the game take a screenshot for you. This screenshot is saved in %localappdata% > MegaMaker. Please note that images need to be hosted externally; we recommend Imgur for this purpose.
And now, the thrilling conclusion!

Preface:
Before we get into it, I'd like to point out that I use "Please Don't Jump - Featuring Air Shooter" by InUniverse as the example in this topic, and it is strongly recommended that you play this level before continuing, as we will be covering the process of making map images, which will of course involve seeing a map of the entirety of the level, so if you'd rather go into it blind (and you should), please go do that before continuing.
It's a fantastic, well-designed level, with an interesting gimmick that you're sure to enjoy playing.
With that said, let's get right into it!

Taking a Screenshot:
As previously mentioned, pressing F9 (typically located at the top of your keyboard) will take a screenshot in Mega Man Maker.
This will result in screenshots at the current resolution, which can be changed using keys F1-F5.
It is common to use 3x scale (F3), but if you're posting a lot of screenshots, that might be overwhelming.
2x (F2) may be preferred in that case, as they take up less room but are still easy to look at.
1x is best used for stitching together maps, which we'll go over later.

Finding a Screenshot:
To access the screenshots you've just taken, simply press [Windows Key]+[R], and type (or copy & paste):

Code: Select all

%localappdata%/MegaMaker
This will open the MegaMaker directory in your file explorer, where you'll see the directories "Autosave", "Levels", and "Settings", and below that, all your screenshots!

Posting a Screenshot:
Imgur is recommended, as it does not resize or compress your images against your will, like some other sites do.
There are other services as well, and I recommend using whichever is more user-friendly for you.
Just don't use photobucket. That website is garbage.

Using imgur:
1. At the top of the screen is a green button labeled "New Post", click it.
2. A window will pop up asking you to drag images onto it, or click Browse to bring up the file browser. Pick a file.
3. Imgur will create your post, and present it to you.
4. Hover your mouse over your image, and two buttons will appear: Copy, and an arrow - click the arrow.
5. Click "Get share links".
6. You'll be presented with 4 copy buttons - click the bottom-left one, associated with BBcode (for web forums).
7. Back here in the forums, simply paste the code you got from the copy button.
8. Click "Preview" to make sure it's working.

Making a Map
So sometimes you'll want to display a map of some or all of your level, and I'm going to explain how to do it.
There are a few different methods, resulting in different types of maps, but it really depends on how much detail you want to express in your level maps.

Making a Micro Map:
1. Open your level in Mega Man Maker.
2. Click the MAP toggle on the bottom of the screen.
3. Take a screenshot.
4. Open the screenshot in your image editing program (Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.)
5. Crop your map so that only the necessary parts are in the image.
6. Color and edit your map as appropriate, for example, making the screen connections visible, highlighting rooms of interest (such as checkpoints) and obscuring rooms you intend to be hidden.
7. Upload and post your map! (see above)

Example Process: (using "Please Don't Jump - Featuring Air Shooter" by InUniverse)
Image Original Screenshot (click for full)
Image Cropping the map.
Image Coloring the map.
Image Illustrating extended rooms.
Image Illustrating screen transitions and removing excess grid.
The final result looks like something you'd see in a Metroid or Castlevania game.

Making a Macro Map:
1. Go to Options on the title menu, and under "Other", toggle the custom cursor off (he gets in the way of screenshots).
2. Open your level in Mega Man Maker.
3. Press F1 to switch to 1x scale (it's not recommended to use larger scale factors for macro maps).
4. Center your view on a screen in your level (the MAP function is great for this).
5. Turn off both the MAP and UI toggles on the bottom of the screen.
6. Open the Backgrounds tool, and select the background used on your current screen. (see step 9a for no bg)
7. Position your cursor somewhere on the screen so the UI disappears.
8. Press F9.
9. Repeat steps 3-7 until all screens have been saved to your Mega Maker directory.

At this point, I will address screens which use no background image.
In order to get these screens, you'll have to do some editing.
9a. Move your cursor to the bottom of the screen, so that the options bar pops up.
9b. Press F9.
9c. With the UI "off", move your cursor to the top of the screen, so that the tool bar drops down.
9d. Press F9.
9e. Open the first screenshot in your image editing program (Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.)
9f. With the selection/marquee tool, select the top half of your screen, and copy (ctrl+c).
9g. Open the second screenshot in your image editing program (Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.)
9h. If using anything other than Paint, make a small selection including the upper-left pixel of your image.*
9i. Paste.
Now, with any luck, you should have a complete screen, unobscured by unwanted backgrounds or UI elements.

10. Open your favorite graphics editor, and set the canvas size to something really, really big.
To get the exact size, multiply 256 (the screen width) by how many screens horizontally your level takes up.
That's the width of your image in pixels.
Now multiply 224 (the screen height) by how many screens vertically your level takes up.
That's the height of your image in pixels.
Using our example level from before, we ended up with an image of 3840 x 896.
As you can see, although this is quite a small level, it results in a rather large image, and that's why scale factors larger than 1 are not recommended for macro maps.

11. Drag and drop (or copy and paste) all your screenshots into the large, empty canvas we've just created.
12. Arrange the pieces as you go until you have your map!
Optional: Flood fill the empty space in your map with black, white, grey, or a complimentary color, but don't use anything that clashes too hard with the actual map components.

Example Map: (using "Please Don't Jump - Featuring Air Shooter" by InUniverse)
Click for full view.

Making a Mini Map:
1. Make a macro map (see above).
2. Resize your macro map to 25% of its original size.
3. Behold your mini map! (it will look like the above thumbnail for the macro map)

P.A.Q.: (Potentially Asked Questions)

Q: Why is this on the Level Design Discussion board?
A: Because it's intended to help users create additional content for their postings, both here, and in the Level Showcase board.

Q: I saw a level map without the grid from the editor! How do I do that?
A: On the options bar at the bottom of the screen is a button which turns off the grid - use that before taking screenshots.

Q: I saw a level map without all the icons from the editor! How do I do that?
A: Basically the same as the instructions for the macro map above, only you also have to take in-game screenshots, and copy/paste the parts that would have been obscured by those elements, which effectively removes them.

Q: I saw a different kind of level map in another topic! How do I make one like that?
A: It depends on the map, of course, so post a link to the topic, and we'll let you know!

Q: My image looks like garbage! What went wrong?
A: Did you save it as a jpeg? That'll do it. Always save as either png if available, or gif if you must.
Aside from that, it's possible your image may have been resized, which may result in blurring.

Q: Why did I have to make a selection in the upper-left corner of my image before pasting?
A: The fancier image editing programs paste centrally by default.
By making a selection first, you're telling the program to paste there.
Paint, however, pastes from the origin (upper-left corner) of the image, so no need to make selections there.
This is one of those times where the simplicity of Paint is actually a good thing.
(I'm not sure whether Paint still works this way in Windows 10, someone please confirm)

Q: How do you record gameplay gifs?
A: ScreenToGif and LICEcap are both excellent programs for this.

Q: I'm on Mac! Where do I find the screenshots?
A: Does this game run on Mac? In any case, pay someone to take screenshots and edit them for you.
Last edited by Zephadus on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImage
I relinquish my rights to any and all pixel art that I produce to the Mega Man Maker team, in the unlikely event that they like it enough to use it.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: How To: Screenshots and Level maps

Post by Royalguard » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:06 am

I'll be perfectly honest, I forgot Mega Man Maker even had a built-in screenshot function. I been so used to using the "Print Screen" button, pasting the screenshot into Paint, making modifications as needed, and saving it as .PNG to the desktop for easy access, for just about all PC games I play. :lol:

I don't know if this forum supports topics being pinned or not, but if it does, this topic certainly deserves one, else it might get lost in the abyss of older posts and people will start asking questions all over again.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Nigel Chinclucker

Post by Nigel Chinclucker » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:09 am

Good thing we can bookmark this
My Most Popular Levels:
283233: Cheery Happy Funtime
213787: Ye Olde Basic Castle
204335: Runaway Train

InUniverse

Post by InUniverse » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 am

The minimap map is naturally that green color if your editor UI color is green. (Click on the gear, then the pallet to open the UI color menu.)
You missed the connections in black to secret rooms. It's hard to see, yeah, but that's because they're secrets.
I usually remove the excess grid first thing after cropping the minimap.

I'm glad my style of map has become notable, though.
Last edited by InUniverse on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image ImageImage

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am

InUniverse wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 am
The minimap map is naturally that green color if your editor UI color is green. (Click on the gear, then the pallet to open the UI color menu.)
Really? Huh. I did not know that. Well now I do!
I suppose it accidentally made a nice bit about map color, though. lol
InUniverse wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 am
You missed the connections in black to secret rooms. It's hard to see, yeah, but that's because they're secrets.
Oh, yes, I "missed" them. lol
I thought that bit was quite clever, but I didn't know if it would be over-stepping to reveal them, so I edited them out so as not to spoil anything.

Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, I hope I'm not over-stepping by using your level as an example, and probably should have asked first...
It's just such a great example that I guess I got excited.
It features single-screen rooms, as well as extended rooms, and rooms that are adjacent, yet not linked, which serves as a great example as to why you'd want to illustrate connections.

Anyway, I really hope you don't mind.
I am of course totally willing to withdraw all of the material related to your level, should you feel at any time that you'd like it not to be featured in this topic.

Cheers, and happy level building!
ImageImageImage
I relinquish my rights to any and all pixel art that I produce to the Mega Man Maker team, in the unlikely event that they like it enough to use it.

InUniverse

Post by InUniverse » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:05 am

Zephadus wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am
Oh, yes, I "missed" them. lol
I thought that bit was quite clever, but I didn't know if it would be over-stepping to reveal them, so I edited them out so as not to spoil anything.
They're literally in the minimap in the topic, though. Having them here as well doesn't really spoil anything, especially now that I've pointed it out specifically.
Zephadus wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 am
Of course, now that I'm thinking about it, I hope I'm not over-stepping by using your level (...)
Don't worry about it, ok? It's fine.
Image ImageImage

Nigel Chinclucker

Post by Nigel Chinclucker » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 am

What exactly is the scale difference between 1x and 2x? Is it 1x times 2, or 1x squared?
My Most Popular Levels:
283233: Cheery Happy Funtime
213787: Ye Olde Basic Castle
204335: Runaway Train

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:44 am

Nigel Chinclucker wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 am
What exactly is the scale difference between 1x and 2x? Is it 1x times 2, or 1x squared?
I believe it is 1 times 2, as well as 3x is 1 times 3.
Each time you go up from one, the pixels increase their size to that number in both directions.
So for example, 3x means that one pixel becomes 3 pixels wide, and 3 pixels tall, using a total of 9 pixels.
I'm confusing myself, so I pixeled Fire Man's first screen in 5 sizes to illustrate:
So yeah. That.
500%, 400%, 300%, 200%, 100%...
5:5, 4:4, 3:3, 2:2, 1:1...
5x, 4x, 3x, 2x, 1x...
However you wanna look at it.
ImageImageImage

TREMIC1

Post by TREMIC1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 am

Here's a quick question. How are you guys making your gifs as large/HD as the ones most people share. Mine feel small and lower quality.

Bucket
Discord: Bucket#4801

Post by Bucket » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:30 am

I use screentogif. It gets the job done.
h

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:45 am

TREMIC1 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:05 am
Here's a quick question. How are you guys making your gifs as large/HD as the ones most people share. Mine feel small and lower quality.
Excellent question!
And I see that Bucket got to it first. lol
In any case, you can use the aforementioned ScreenToGif or the oddly-named LICEcap.
As for size/scale of a gif, simply press F1, F2, F3, or F4 to change the size of Mega Man Maker before recording.
ImageImageImage

BenPlusMM
Discord: Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 am

not even pressing f9 worked for me. YOU LIED
Does this look like the face of mercy to you?
Currently a Level 99 Pun Warrior.

Bucket
Discord: Bucket#4801

Post by Bucket » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 pm

BenPlusMM wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 am
He did'nt say f9, he said f1, f2, f3, f4, and f5 (fullscreen).

Also, don't bump old threads.
h

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:18 pm

Bucket wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:43 pm
BenPlusMM wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 am
He did'nt say f9, he said f1, f2, f3, f4, and f5 (fullscreen).

Also, don't bump old threads.
Yes I did, actually. lol
The screenshots are stored in the same directory as Mega Man Maker's system files, and level directory, NOT wherever you put the executable.
Please read the directions again carefully.
I know this topic opens with a rather long post, but that's because it's written to be highly-informative.
If you follow the directions I've outlined, you will find your screenshots.
ImageImageImage

RDash75

Post by RDash75 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:00 am

I Can't Screenshots! Help Me!
Be A Builder Guys!

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:44 am

RDash75 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:00 am
Press the F9 key on your keyboard.As Zephadus said,it should be located in the top of your keyboard,between F8 and F10.
turnip

RDash75

Post by RDash75 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 am

8JKN4 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:44 am
RDash75 wrote:
Press the F9 key on your keyboard.As Zephadus said,it should be located in the top of your keyboard,between F8 and F10.
But F9 Key Is Jamed!
Be A Builder Guys!

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:15 am

RDash75 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:52 am
8JKN4 wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:44 am
RDash75 wrote:
But F9 Key Is Jamed!
In that case use the Print Screen key,paste it on any image edition program and cut out what you don't need
Also something in the sentence "I Can't Screenshots!" tells me this is yet another Hard man alt,but I'm just jumping to conclusions too quickly
turnip

GoodRabbi

Post by GoodRabbi » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:47 am

Taking screenshots on a Mac is easy. No need to “pay someone to take one.” Command + shift + 3, or 4. One takes an entire screen shot. The other gives you a cursor to manually select the area you want a picture of. The saved Picts will will be right there on your desktop. This applies to every Mac OS since 1996. With the upcoming Mac OS Mohave, this may change, but until September, this is the way to go. Now, where the actual game command to take a screenshot is saved, (or where my saved levels) on the Mac file system, I haven’t been able to figure out. As far as bumping old threads... this is a helpful topic, so I don’t see the problem. ;)