Lack of Ambition killed the level maker.

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
DAS

Lack of Ambition killed the level maker.

Post by DAS » Sat May 04, 2019 5:53 am

Essentially, I stopped making levels because I couldn't bring myself to spend time on making levels that the community as a whole seemed to dislike. Share your reasons here, or if you still make levels, keep going.
SMM2 is super hype!

In case you're wondering, Lucky 7 is a private group not open to new members. Koopciel and I are the only representatives on the MMM Forums.

Getan Und Gesagt

Obderhode
Discord: Obderhode

Re: Lack of Ambition killed the level maker.

Post by Obderhode » Sat May 04, 2019 12:38 pm

I sort of agree. I spend a lot of effort making my levels balanced and fair, yet still challenging, and they often seem to get rated down (or neutral). It seems like if someone dies once in a level, it gets rated down, no matter the quality of it. Normally when I see a level with a lot of likes, I am stunned at how minimal effort/bad it is.

I still upload levels I make and will make a post on here, but normally mine seems to get no comments (I think I've gotten one). I don't know why, but it is slowly making me care less and less about the maker.

LightDaemon

Post by LightDaemon » Sat May 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Guys, I'd like to give detailed feedbacks explaining why your levels aren't good. Usually, no, a player won't dislike a level simply because he died once. It is most likely due to deeper problems like layout, enemy placement, visuals, etc...

The problem with votes is usually when very bad levels have a lot of upvotes, and good levels often don't have enough votes but it is rare that they get a lot of dislikes.

Why don't I give feedbacks then? Because I just cannot. I often don't know how to put it, how to explain, I ask myself whether the author is going to understand and a lot of other things that make the criticism process so tedious for me.

What I would like to do is making short review in a video format, which I think would be 10 times more practical. I'll see what I can do.
Tired of Internet

Brazencoronet17
Location: Next to my computer, working on a secret project...
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:20 am

I don't make levels because Wine is an incompetent program nobody should use. But back in the day I didn't care about my score. Stop caring. Block that part of the screen. Heck, pretend the level isn't even yours. But does it really matter?
WAR ON MARS I, II, and III! I SHALL DESTROY THEM ALL!

Unless they surrender, which would be the wise choice.

Diamond Wolf
Discord: Diamond_Miner33#9310

Post by Diamond Wolf » Tue May 07, 2019 12:20 am

People tend to avoid negatively-scored levels (which I probably should stop doing), meaning the level loses playtime.
We must end the hacking of MMM's citizens. Join Cyber Force today! https://discord.gg/vduBQKw

Selling stuff!
SMHCP chips
SHCMP chips
Hologhost ER

#StopSuicideNow

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 pm

Yuo realize that if the downvote button was removed, the upvote button would likely do so as well?

Actually, let me be harsh about this:

Stop complaining.

Kun fu Cuts Man
Discord: Kun fu Cuts Man#6955

Post by Kun fu Cuts Man » Wed May 08, 2019 3:56 pm

Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 pm
You realize that if the downvote button was removed, the upvote button would likely do so as well?
And we have to mention that the liking system is kinda messed up: bad levels get more likes than the usual good levels of the forums. Unless they´´ re so bad that they only get dislikes.
Does this count?

Coming soon, but you can access at the Discord Server here

LightDaemon

Post by LightDaemon » Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 pm

For fuck's sake LIKING SYSTEM DOESNT MATTER.

What matter are feedbacks. Problem is, no feedback, and a lot of levels in queue.
Tired of Internet

V1ralGam3r
Discord: #1787

Post by V1ralGam3r » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Honestly, yeah - score is wildly inconsistent and unhelpful for anything. People in the MMM community... well, they like shit I guess. It's why you see stuff like "infinite Metal Man being dumped into the void" get high scores while a genuinely decent level gets into the red.

If you want actual feedback / motivation, I'd recommend joining a Discord server that focuses at least partially around level design & challenges. People there usually have a better grasp of what makes a good MMM level.
Knight needs caffeine badly.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:09 pm

Stop focusing on the freaking score system bro just have fun, share evel files via Medifire if you don't want the idiotic community to piss on it. Or make a christmas themed level at christms time. Those get a lot of upvotes for some reason.

5h0ck

Post by 5h0ck » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:19 am

You know what would be a good change, if you had to leave a review in order to upvote/downvote a stage, and the game would have some kind of indicator to show if the person even completed the level or not.

This would help determine if the ones voting are even being fair or not, and if the reviews don't make sense then people might check out the stage for themselves to see if the person is exaggerating or not. It's definately possible people are confusing hard levels for bad levels, among other reasons.