Weapon Analysis - Top Spin

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
D-Man

Weapon Analysis - Top Spin

Post by D-Man » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:49 am

Top Spin - From MM3
Capacity: ? Power: ? Type: Melee

The infamous Top Spin, obtained from Top Man, was the first attempt at making a melee-ranged weapon in the series. With it, the player can spin at high speeds, damaging anything they touch. It is unique in several ways, one being that it can only be used in midair, and the other being that it consumes no ammo unless it makes contact with an enemy.

Unfortunately, the Top Spin suffers from several programming and design issues. First, the amount of energy it consumes is based on frames per contact, meaning over half of its ammo could be spent trying to hit one enemy (this is why the capacity is listed as ?). Secondly, the weapon's power is inconsistent, as it either defeats enemies in one hit, or does no damage at all. Finally, successfully damaging enemies with Top Spin will push back the player slightly, and if no damage is dealt, the player will end up taking a hit, making it dangerous to even consider using it.

Below is a montage showcasing the Top Spin's unpredictable nature. It is also worth noting that in The Wily Wars, the weapon no longer pushes back on contact, and ammo consumption is now a consistent 1 per enemy hit. Image
MMM's version of Top Spin builds on The Wily Wars' by also giving it the ability to make the player bounce off enemies if the attack hits from above, making it a Utility weapon as well. Its capacity and power are now clearly defined:

New Capacity: 28 New Power: 2

Bouncing off an enemy will send the player 3 tiles up (same as a normal jump), and bounces are affected by changes in gravity induced by water and fans. The Top Spin will now ignore shields as well, but will not damage Big Fish, Bokazurah, Giree, Rolling Drill, or Gabyoall-type enemies. It can destroy Okosutobon and Crunchran, however. Spins will not be canceled when doing a double jump, being carried by a Mag-Fly, or running out of ammo in midair. Bouncing on Crunchran will cancel Top Spin while still sending the user upwards, though it can also result in a low bounce if the shoot button is not held. Also, if you hold the fire button and jump while on the ground, the player character will do a full jump into a Top Spin, regardless of how long the jump button is held. Weapon Blocks marked with Top Spin can be broken for no energy cost.

Since this weapon deals a flat 2 damage now, hitting an enemy with more than 2 HP from the side will result in taking damage. Dust Blocks and Pole Eggs cannot be harmed by this weapons due to being considered solid terrain.
The inclusion of springs and fans gives this weapon interesting applications, as the player will continue spinning until they touch solid ground. Finally, when playing as Bass, bouncing on a enemy after performing a dash-jump will let you keep the increased momentum of the dash until you touch the ground.
In the end, the Top Spin was once a poorly executed idea, but is now a weapon of greater creative and destructive potential.
Last edited by D-Man on Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:25 am, edited 6 times in total.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigMaster#4335

Re: Weapon Analysis - Top Spin

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:48 am

The upgrades to that weapon are much thanked, since they give it a new dimension to it. The Top Spin did have its uses for speedruns, but jumping over enemies makes it more widely useful.
I am currently moderating the three main community platforms.

Bean man
Discord: Bean man#9687

Post by Bean man » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:54 am

One thing I don't like is if it doesn't insta-kill an enemy from the bottom or side you take damage, so I wish you could bump off an enemy that took more hits if you used it from any side that wasn't the top. Would make it function similarly to the original.

While I'd had some good experiences here, it's quite mortifying to reflect on how immensely immature I've acted in the past. Retaining this sentiment, I'll mostly remain inactive.

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 pm

Forget something:
Only it's the Hary Harry's weakness.

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 am

14Protoman wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:29 pm
Forget something:
Only it's the Hary Harry's weakness.
Did not know that before, though that's because I always pick Needle Man first.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233