Slide Jumps

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
D-Man

Slide Jumps

Post by D-Man » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 am

In MMM, sliding before a jump will slightly increase the horizontal distance of the jump, letting Mega/Proto clear 4-tile wide spaces with ease. It can even be used to cross 4x1 jumps or 3x3 jumps, which are normally impossible.

How many of you knew this, and do you think levels should take advantage of this more?
King Knight coming soon.

Fluff Man

Re: Slide Jumps

Post by Fluff Man » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:59 am

I knew this, but i think this should rarely be used in levels, and when it is used i think it should be an optional jump to get a life or something.
FEAR MY FLUFF OF DOOM

MEGAMAN -1 Megamaker Fangame in Progress!
Also, working 50/50 uncheatable randomizer that anyone can copy into their levels! level ID 353798

Best Megaman theme: https://youtu.be/Z2ACqGtQodM

TheCreativeEye
Discord: TheCreativeEye#0160

Post by TheCreativeEye » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Pretty sure most of us already knew this
Music changer for 1.6 or devs gae
(Still made the Scloof™ Turret)

5h0ck

Post by 5h0ck » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:49 pm

This has pretty much been a basic feature in megaman since it was introduced in the official series. I'm pretty sure every stange with slide enabled makes use of this without even trying.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm

D-Man wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:54 am
In MMM, sliding before a jump will slightly increase the horizontal distance of the jump, letting Mega/Proto clear 4-tile wide spaces with ease. It can even be used to cross 4x1 jumps or 3x3 jumps, which are normally impossible.

How many of you knew this, and do you think levels should take advantage of this more?
I don't think its so much that slide-jumping gives the player more momentum to make wider jumps, as much as it is that the Slide State increases Mega Man's hitbox horizontally, allowing him to travel farther over the edges of platforms before falling, in comparison to Walking State. I might be wrong though.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm
D-Man wrote:

I don't think its so much that slide-jumping gives the player more momentum to make wider jumps, as much as it is that the Slide State increases Mega Man's hitbox horizontally, allowing him to travel farther over the edges of platforms before falling, in comparison to Walking State. I might be wrong though.
Pretty sure you're right, i'm fairly certain by tiptoeing you can make 4 block jumps without a slide but a slide seems to elongate mega man's hitbox making to where you can put the middle part of him on the edge without needing to prepare it and jump with still the same height, also i'm not sure where exactly mega man jumps out of his slide from but with how is leg can go over a block/off the edge it prolly has something to do with that, although it probably just comes from around his torso so with that you can easily set it up rather than tiptoeing for a difficult jump.
Profile Name: StyxSticks

Waiting for 1.6 to put out any future levels.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:23 am

Sticks wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm
Royalguard wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:27 pm
D-Man wrote:

Pretty sure you're right, i'm fairly certain by tiptoeing you can make 4 block jumps without a slide but a slide seems to elongate mega man's hitbox making to where you can put the middle part of him on the edge without needing to prepare it and jump with still the same height, also i'm not sure where exactly mega man jumps out of his slide from but with how is leg can go over a block/off the edge it prolly has something to do with that, although it probably just comes from around his torso so with that you can easily set it up rather than tiptoeing for a difficult jump.
I've personally always assumed the reason was hitbox related, but I still can't rule out it could be a placebo effect.

Mega Man 3 was my first Mega Man game, and ever since, I really overuse the slide and slide-jumping whenever possible, possibly to a point where I can calculate the best times to jump from a sliding state easier than from a standing state or walking state.

I admittedly don't have enough knowledge of the game's mechanics to tell if slide really makes that big of an impact on jumps or not.

Mega Man 6 may (or may not) provide a clue to the truth, as it removed the ability to slide-jump completely for some strange reason.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 pm

Slide jumping has its uses, but I hate using it. It shouldn't be mandatory in levels. If it is, than I mark it as a flaw.
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:42 am

The reason why I made this thread is because one of the levels I made has a segment where slide jumping can let you progress easier:
The enemies have been cleared out of the top room. The rain jump can be made without sliding, but requires precision. If you fall, you land in the bottom screenshot.

A similar jump on a split path. Like before, it can be done without sliding, though it is still recommended that you do.
King Knight coming soon.

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:48 am

D-Man wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:42 am
The reason why I made this thread is because one of the levels I made has a segment where slide jumping can let you progress easier:
The enemies have been cleared out of the top room. The rain jump can be made without sliding, but requires precision. If you fall, you land in the bottom screenshot.

A similar jump on a split path. Like before, it can be done without sliding, though it is still recommended that you do.
ew drop shadows in an outside segment
turnip