General discussion of Mega Man Maker
Blue_Bummer

Re: 1.6 is taking a while, huh?

Post by Blue_Bummer » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:35 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:20 pm
Blue_Bummer wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:59 pm
I believe that is (in part) why the update is taking so long and is about to match patch 1.5's development length.
Match it? At this point I believe it'll SURPASS it! In fact, since in each update they have to program more and more complicated assets, I'm pretty sure that EVERY update will take longer to come out than the last.
I'm inclined to agree with you on the surpass bit for 1.6. Retro-making MM11, from my layman's perspective, would be a daunting task. I used the "matching" to give perspective, not suggesting that patch 1.6 will come out on the 8th month.

After 1.6 I don't know about patches taking longer after that, depends on the route they take (if they continue to develop MMM). 🤔 If they do go with MM & Bass that'll require more retromaking into 8-bit assets which would take longer than say remaking GB MM game assets which would still require alot of work, but albeit less in terms of having to "redesign" assets to fit the 8-bit theme.

EDIT:

If future patches do tend to grow in development length then I would have to re-iterate the proposal to the Dev team doing incremental smaller updates of bite sized content every 3 months or so while progress would be made on the full larger patch update goals they set.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:35 pm
If future patches do tend to grow in development length then I would have to re-iterate the proposal to the Dev team doing incremental smaller updates of bite sized content every 3 months or so while progress would be made on the full larger patch update goals they set.
I agree with you here. Just develop half of an update's usual content so that they can launch patches more frequently. We'd be getting less new content, but we'd be getting it more freuqently! Instead of spending an entire year tearing our hair out wondering if the Robot Masters we want are going to be in the next update or not.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:57 am

LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:57 pm
Blue_Bummer wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:35 pm
I agree with you here. Just develop half of an update's usual content so that they can launch patches more frequently. We'd be getting less new content, but we'd be getting it more freuqently! Instead of spending an entire year tearing our hair out wondering if the Robot Masters we want are going to be in the next update or not.
Bold type added for focus of my response..

I'd be content with just smaller updates even. Keeping it at simple smaller updates at first quarter and third quarter of development cycle could feature things not requiring major code changes like..
*New Backgrounds
*New Tilesets
*New Soundtracks
*Adding Select Minor Enemies that work with existing codebase

At second quarter of development add things that might be more advanced and require a little more effort on the development side like..
*New Weapons
*New Bosses (Robot Masters)
*New Pickups
*New Level Objects

The first, second and third quarter updates could feature any mix of those in small portions give or take. It sounds like a lot but it doesn't have to be everything in the list, or even alot. An example for a first quarter or third quarter update could be..

5 new backgrounds, 5 new tilesets, 4 new soundtracks and 5 new minor enemies.

A second quarter update (featuring more advanced additions to MMM) could be...

1 new weapon, 1 new robot master, 2 new level objects.

The final 4th quarter update could be the usual goal of the Development team for a major patch. Complete with new features for the Editor/servers/etc along with all the usual added content they put in.

Quarters would be split according to the Developers' leisure. A quarter could be 3 to 5 months, depending on what works for the Devs' timetable. I wouldn't recommend going longer than 5 months for a quarterly system or it would be self defeating on the purpose. If the Devs sat down, decided on their goals, and decided comfortably what they wanted and how long to get there, that would determine the length between quarterly updates.

I would think this would be an exciting system for the fans as they get to nibble on development while waiting for the next main course of a major update.🤔 A great way to pacify the masses and keep fans engaged.

I have to stress at the Developers' leisure so as to say at the rate they feel comfortable with releasing content. I would want this to benefit everyone and not just those of us who are eager to play with their newest works of marvel.

For the 1st to 3rd quarterly updates there's a huge amount of content to be tapped with all the backlog of previous Mega Man games still having plenty to offer (Mega Mans 1 thru 9 and PU). 8-)

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Honestly don't care all that much

With the insane amount of content 1.5 added and the potential fished from it, I'd be satisfied for years

1.6 only extends that time
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 pm

Brazencoronet17 wrote:With the insane amount of content 1.5 added and the potential fished from it, I'd be satisfied for years
True. Honestly it's insane this game exists as it does in the first place. Wrecking Programs and his team are just amazing at what they've done/are doing.

draconetto

Post by draconetto » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
+1 for this, i see this game slowing dying from the lack of new content. MMM has a updater built in, there's no need to make big updates that take almost a year, and then maybe disappoint a lot of people because there's no enough content to justify it. Give us smaller updates and let the game alive. At this point we could have mm10 content instead of waiting for mm10 and mm11 in the same update. I understand making this is a lot of work, i'm a developer myself, but imagine if i hold all updates i have to do in my app for a year just to make a big update? It's not a problem with coding, it's more about management.

Neo Cutman

Post by Neo Cutman » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:23 pm

LeonardMan wrote:

focus on one game, with 12 enemies, two robot masters, three or four gimmicks every three months looks good enough

ZepperFang

Post by ZepperFang » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm

draconetto wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 pm
LeonardMan wrote:
+1 for this, i see this game slowing dying from the lack of new content. MMM has a updater built in, there's no need to make big updates that take almost a year, and then maybe disappoint a lot of people because there's no enough content to justify it. Give us smaller updates and let the game alive. At this point we could have mm10 content instead of waiting for mm10 and mm11 in the same update. I understand making this is a lot of work, i'm a developer myself, but imagine if i hold all updates i have to do in my app for a year just to make a big update? It's not a problem with coding, it's more about management.
That's the natural price for only ONE good and decent Mega Man editor. There's no other MM editor that could read-and-edit Mega Man Maker files.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:12 pm

The younger generation is so impatient these days...

They are so used to having easy access to everything due to growing up with more powerful internet services and ease of worldwide communication that wasn't present when I was younger, meaning they never need to stop working, and never have any reason to just stop and wait for things to play out.

Gaining efficiency and speed from modern technology is one thing, but I question the trade-off of losing patience as a result.

Maybe I'm just getting old...
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

AppendixOfTheCards

Post by AppendixOfTheCards » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:34 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:12 pm
Maybe I'm just getting old...
You are. Go shake your fist at a cloud and eat your mashed prunes.

#drunkintheAM
#fuckthegoldenoldies

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 am

I'd be willing to take another mystery image at this point. Just a little something to show their progress.
Losing brain cells.

Doc Wave V.2 (350661)

MrDocrobot

Post by MrDocrobot » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:45 am

D-Man wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:22 am
I'd be willing to take another mystery image at this point. Just a little something to show their progress.
I agree. Yeah, Mega Man Maker is great and I appericiate the work that has gone into it. But one of my biggest problems is people losing interest in the game due to the lack of progress updates or announcements to keep them hooked in. It's always important to keep people informed so that hype stays strong.

Mabrick

Post by Mabrick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:24 am

Its been 5 months since they first announced the 1.6. preview. Hmmm, maybe developing something new i suppose. Perhaps something in MM11...
Your average level designer who makes traditional levels in Megamaker.

Lastest level: Endurance run of challenge course 3
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9457

BenPlusMM
Discord: Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:56 pm

Mabrick wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:24 am
something in MM11...
what’s that supposed to mean
Does this look like the face of mercy to you?
Currently a Level 99 Pun Warrior.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm

Mabrick wrote:
Its been 5 months since they first announced the 1.6. preview. Hmmm, maybe developing something new i suppose. Perhaps something in MM11...
1.5 was released on Mar 26 2019 so it's been 7 months and 13 days since a last major release of Mega Man Maker.

And yeah... I can't help but suspect something MM11 related is a factor in delaying the release, and also a factor causing updates to be scarce.
D-Man wrote:I'd be willing to take another mystery image at this point. Just a little something to show their progress.
Same. For the next teaser image Wrecking will probably post the other eye.

The drought of progress updates saddens me, I always enjoy those little previews Wrecking posts, makes the wait so much easier. :(
Royalguard wrote:The younger generation is so impatient these days...
I hear you. While the demeanor of some of their posts could use a bit more tact, I can understand why they're frustrated. Lack of progress updates (like aforementioned) has people starving in the dark... These people are hungry... :P

Mabrick

Post by Mabrick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:44 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:42 pm
Mabrick wrote:
1.5 was released on Mar 26 2019 so it's been 7 months and 13 days since a last major release of Mega Man Maker.
So it may as well be the longest Megamaker update if it reaches the next month. 1.5 took like almost 8 months.

I feel like no huge updates will happen after this. Maybe they'll focus on smaller updates.
Your average level designer who makes traditional levels in Megamaker.

Lastest level: Endurance run of challenge course 3
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9457

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 pm

Mabrick wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:44 pm
I feel like no huge updates will happen after this. Maybe they'll focus on smaller updates.
I hope you're right. I mean, after adding the ability to place multiple bosses, what other big game-changing main feature do they ever need to add? They may as well stop adding these main features from 1.7 onwards, as they are most likely the hardest thing to code (things like new player characters or Metroidvania elements are probably even harder to make than bosses and stage gimmicks).

From that point onward they may go for smaller updates so that they can release new content more often in smaller chunks. Otherwise, every next update is going to take longer to come out than the last, and I can see this time inflating to the point it may take several years for a new update to come out!
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:28 pm
...Otherwise, every next update is going to take longer to come out than the last, and I can see this time inflating to the point it may take several years for a new update to come out!
I doubt it'll ever come to that. Why do I doubt it?

Because if a hobby becomes a non-paying time consuming job it becomes not-fun, and development stops. Once this project ceases being fun/interesting for the Devs it will end.

I hope, before that that day comes, Wrecking would release tools so the community could continue to build content for MMM on their own in some capacity.

I'd love to have a tool set that allows for coding non-informed morons like myself that would allow me to create custom animations, weapons, enemies for Mega Man Maker.