NES Mega Man levels recreation

General discussion of Mega Man Maker
ZepperFang

NES Mega Man levels recreation

Post by ZepperFang » Sat May 23, 2020 2:06 am

I'm recreating levels from old NES Mega Man games, almost 1:1. Currently, it's done:

- MM1 Dr. Wily 1;
- MM3 Top Man;
- MM4 Dr. Cossack 1 and 2;
- MM6 Wind Man.

You cannot recreate them with Mega Maker, but using MMLV editor. Even with it, the gfx tileset is still missing important tiles, or tiles "not supposed" to be "ground" are considerated "air", making the stage mostly defective.
Although, there are a couple of problems! Because of the Mega Maker resolution, it's not possible to recreate Ice Man stage at 1:1 - I need to put extra rooms to make a few jumps possible. The main problem are missing tiles. A LOT OF THEM.

Casual Builder

Re: NES Mega Man levels recreation

Post by Casual Builder » Sat May 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Well... you do know that majority of the recreated levels from Mega Man games may not be exciting to many players out there? No matter how accurate they are to the originals, they're might be simply ignored.
It's not skepticism - just a perfectly legitimate concern.

Trivia: I personally tried to recreate several stages in particular... mainly first two Wily Castle levels from Mega Man 10. The results turned out to be not popular enough, especially with using MMLV Editor.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

ZepperFang

Post by ZepperFang » Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm

I have a different experience. My NES Bombman level has almost 1000 "likes", and none of my original creations had more than 50. My goal isn't to be popular, but a proof-of-concept - freedom for making new levels, or NES recreations. I'm 42, and perhaps the boys want something more... non-classic, more messy, more dynamic... :roll: :D

Red1Fouad

Post by Red1Fouad » Sat May 23, 2020 6:19 pm

Look at the date, its when mega-maker was first released, so people were trying out everything in the game. Its no surprise that people look for original experience nowadays, dontcha think?

Sniperjojo

Post by Sniperjojo » Sat May 23, 2020 6:41 pm

I personally enjoy putting my own spin on the classic levels. Take my level 'Wily 1 from MM2 but Ice Man froze it over'. It's a recreation of the classic first Wily level from Mega Man 2, but it has ice physics and uses a small bit of text editing. You can do anything to change it. Make it longer, or maybe... uhh... yeah. You get the idea.
Meme is not approved

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Sun May 24, 2020 2:11 am

ZepperFang wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm
I'm 42
Wait... WHAT???

Sounds like an actual age of yours. :shock:
I'm 24 - even I'm surprised by that stuff.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sun May 24, 2020 4:24 am

ZepperFang wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:30 pm
I have a different experience. My NES Bombman level has almost 1000 "likes", and none of my original creations had more than 50.
Could have something to do with the difficulty of your original levels vs the Bomb Man level recreation. The fact alone that players who know MM1 would already know the level thus making it easier to play affecting their favor-ability of the level. It's easier to play by default because it's a recreation.

Also important to factor in length of time that a level has to accrue votes.
I'm 42
So you were there when MM launched as well. 8-)
Sniperjojo wrote:I personally enjoy putting my own spin on the classic levels. Take my level 'Wily 1 from MM2 but Ice Man froze it over'.
That was a great level btw. Went through your entire list once and I have to say I enjoyed alot of it. Great stuff.