What if the devs add a daily upload limit? Would it reduce the amount of garbage on the servers?

General discussion of Mega Man Maker
memelord69

What if the devs add a daily upload limit? Would it reduce the amount of garbage on the servers?

Post by memelord69 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm

^title

I'm going through the recent uploads section and it's honestly shocking how much garbage there is. And since the same names keep popping up, it made me wonder if slapping a daily upload limit on them would force them to at least pretend to care about the content they create
Assault on the Ziggurat 438537
Triple Weapon Troubles 396416
Assault on the Citadel 391765
Disastrous Factory 391968
Fighting Infernal Flames 392650
Electric Terrain 121647
Final Transmission 438545
Panicked Pursuit 170589
Triple Kaizo Trouble 251465

D-Man

Re: What if the devs add a daily upload limit? Would it reduce the amount of garbage on the servers?

Post by D-Man » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:59 pm

memelord69 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm
^title

I'm going through the recent uploads section and it's honestly shocking how much garbage there is. And since the same names keep popping up, it made me wonder if slapping a daily upload limit on them would force them to at least pretend to care about the content they create
When you buy/download a Maker-type game, you are not paying for "good" levels, but rather to potential to make them. If you really wanted a level with coherent structure and "good" level design, then you're better off just playing a Mario game or something. Failing that, you can work towards becoming the change you want, as corny as that sounds.

P.S. A daily upload limit would not solve the issue, but would only slightly stagger the output of crap.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

Tyler-bot

Re: What if the devs add a daily upload limit? Would it reduce the amount of garbage on the servers?

Post by Tyler-bot » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:14 pm

- That would be nice, but I don't see it happening. I remember when LBP first released. I was so pumped. I recall thinking: "Yes! A level editor that is supposed to be easy to learn! There will be SO many people uploading quality stages everyday, I'll never be bored during the times when I want to take a break from building and play other people's content!"....... Fast forward to LBP2 & 3.... I barely EVER came across ANYTHING worth playing. Hundreds upon hundreds of "Please Heart My Level" stages with absolutely nothing in them except an ending gate with some stickers all over it. It's all about instant gratification, I feel. these people jump into editor, tinker around for about 10 minutes and realize: "Level-design is hard! I thought this was going to be easy and fast!" Then they just smear some stuff together and call it good... wanting the praise and attention but not wanting to take the time and effort to earn it. A level should take days... if not weeks to complete and we clearly have tons of people spending literally 15 minutes or so. Then they post here and say people like me are jerks for giving it to them straight, :lol: ! If you post crap I'm going to call it as I see it. If you are offended.... well being offended isn't a physical injury and doesn't cause leprosy so.... yeah.

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigMaster#4335

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 pm

For me, bad levels are a necessary evil to warrant that the game remains true to its point of being a level creator for all.
Crossing a dangerous river

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 pm

No, it would not reduce it, it would only slow it down.
Likewise, it would also equally slow down the posting of good levels too.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:02 am

DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:31 pm
For me, bad levels are a necessary evil to warrant that the game remains true to its point of being a level creator for all.
This man said it all right there.

If only there were some other way to filter out makers we don't like, and build a running list of makers we do like... Like a ... I dunno... Map Maker Subscription Feature or something. 🤔

boltgreywing

Post by boltgreywing » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 am

Or better yet a warning system that goes through the level and checks if a bug was used or not in the level design. Say for example a level was built in 1.4 with bug x and receives a warning that bug x was patched in 1.6 do you still wish to play this level yes or no?

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 pm

boltgreywing wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 am
Or better yet a warning system that goes through the level and checks if a bug was used or not in the level design. Say for example a level was built in 1.4 with bug x and receives a warning that bug x was patched in 1.6 do you still wish to play this level yes or no?
Not really sure if it is practical to implement an automated system that can check older levels for bugs, maybe at best it could check levels for Legacy Assets.

Legacy Assets being older versions of specific assets left in MMM for old levels to remain compatible in the most recent MMM build (such as the old versions of Teleporter and Boss Doors before their functionality was altered).