Mods and how they work?

General discussion of Mega Man Maker
Blue_Bummer

Mods and how they work?

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 pm

I saw on the official MMM wiki instructions on how music mods work, where are instructions on texture mods?

Some other questions I have is can mods be isolated to a specific map one creates? Like say if I created a level, can I have custom sprites and music both embedded into my custom level over top standard MMM sprites? Could I then upload that and when people download it all the custom content is included?

LeonardMan

Re: Mods and how they work?

Post by LeonardMan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:53 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:25 pm
Some other questions I have is can mods be isolated to a specific map one creates? Like say if I created a level, can I have custom sprites and music both embedded into my custom level over top standard MMM sprites? Could I then upload that and when people download it all the custom content is included?
Sadly that's not possible because the custom graphics would occupy extra space in Mega Man Maker's server.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:16 am

I don't think there are any official tutorials on texture modding, but some modders, including myself, have made tutorials on how to do that. I think mine is the most recent, but it needs polishing in some places (mainly the tileset part, I don't know what I was thinking when I thought it was a good idea to write a tutorial as confusing and undetailed as that one). Other than that it should be ok though.

And as for the other question, no. It's impossible to restrict mod changes to a certain level. The game's graphics and text are stored in the data.win file, located in the game folder, meaning any and all changes of a traditional mod are client-side only (it's mostly the same reason why custom music is restricted to NSF replacements, and there's no way to get other people to hear it in-game).
turnip

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Adding custom content to a game adds so much life to the experience for everyone. Texture and sound mods seem to be the simplest because it's built upon existing assets of a game.

I've played (and modded) many PC games over the years with that mod support built in. If only Mega Man Maker had that ability to allow drag and drop custom pixels and sounds/soundtracks.

Seeing the server issue (storage space) I'd be content to just have separate downloads for maps with custom content hosted by myself, and not on the direct upload/download server. I know it'd mean less exposure but I could live with that.

..Granted I guess that's what current mods are? :\ Where is the most comprehensive tutorial on creating a mod for Mega Man Maker? Including installation.