Super Arm

We post announcements about the game and its development here!
LeonardMan

Re: Super Arm

Post by LeonardMan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 am

SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:05 am
Have they been disconfirmed? Splash Woman and Hornet Man don't seem to have any issues on paper as far as their patterns go
Neo Cutman debunked Splash Woman with THIS set-up:

Hornet Man needs invisible triggers to know when to jump over the obstacles, much like Snake Man does, which is a similar issue to the invisible triggers that cause Elec Man to fire his Thunder Beam.
SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Also, what's wrong with Chill Man? I assumed he didn't jump but he actually jumps quite often.
Not so often. He does a small hop every once in a while, but he runs much more than he jumps, so he'll spend most of his time stuck. That wouldn't be a problem if his projectiles went through walls like Top Man's or Charge Man's... but they don't.

yotubesocialhd2

Post by yotubesocialhd2 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:06 am

LeonardMan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 am
SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Have they been disconfirmed? Splash Woman and Hornet Man don't seem to have any issues on paper as far as their patterns go

Hornet Man needs invisible triggers to know when to jump over the obstacles, much like Snake Man does, which is a similar issue to the invisible triggers that cause Elec Man to fire his Thunder Beam.
SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Also, what's wrong with Chill Man? I assumed he didn't jump but he actually jumps quite often.
Not so often. He does a small hop every once in a while, but he runs much more than he jumps, so he'll spend most of his time stuck. That wouldn't be a problem if his projectiles went through walls like Top Man's or Charge Man's... but they don't.
Yeah ,but what about Guts Man?

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigMaster#4335

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:32 am

D-Man wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 am
Kinda strange how the Guts Blocks summoned by the player are affected by gravity, but not the ones at the end. They're probably separate objects. Also I hope the devs post the voting results like last time.
Luigi said that voting results will not be displayed this time.
I am currently moderating the three main community platforms.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:40 am

LeonardMan wrote:
Not really. Just because you can make a Robot Master useless doesn't mean that they aren't versatile at all. So long as Splash Woman is allowed to be on the same plane as you, or above you, she can hit you. In fact, she can even hit you through ceilings (walls too but that's a less unique trait).
LeonardMan wrote:
Do we know that this can't be achieved though?
LeonardMan wrote:
Actually it is pretty often. Across four fights (normal mode), he averaged about 6 jumps. I wouldn't be surprised if he just picks randomly between running, jumping, and using Chill Spike whenever his current action ends, with the latter being taken out of the roulette whenever the spikes are still on screen.

I don't doubt he'd do a bit of useless running in ditches, but he wouldn't get stuck anywhere for too long like with Cut Man, Time Man, Top Man, etc. Especially since I'm not sure he can pick the same option more than twice in a row.
yotubesocialhd2 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:06 am
Yeah ,but what about Guts Man?
Guts Man jumps exclusively, and he can affect you when put in a box, and his AI is one of, if not the simplest AIs in the series. He has 0 issues.

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:06 am

Casual Builder wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 pm
Congratulations for completing Mega Man 1 arsenal!

I hope this is not gonna be the only addition to weapons category in general... :)
Remember Bubble Lead and Triple Blade being listed among Command Selection options? (https://imgur.com/a/iig8oMe) I wonder what destiny awaits them?
I thought you were joking, but only now do I realize that you are serious, the video shows those two weapons! How cool! New weapons confirmed! At least I hope Bubble lead has the same strengths with Big eye and Hothead.

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:14 am

WreckingPrograms wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:14 pm
The results of the weapon contest are in! With an overwhelming 26.2% of votes, the winner is Super Arm! To make it more useful, we decided to give it a well-needed buff. On top of throwing blocks, you can now create up to 5 blocks yourself, similar to how Guts Man used it in Powered Up. We hope you'll enjoy this new addition to 1.7!

I ask, will the guts blocks crush enemies and kill them? Or will they just break and do nothing to them like they did in PU?

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:54 am

14Protoman wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:06 am
I thought you were joking, but only now do I realize that you are serious, the video shows those two weapons! How cool! New weapons confirmed! At least I hope Bubble lead has the same strengths with Big eye and Hothead.
I wasn't joking about that.
Thank memelord69 - he's the one who discovered them in the first place.

I'm not sure what kind of strenghts Bubble Lead could have... the only hope is to wait the official announcement (or actual release of 1.7).
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

DestroyerOfDestruction

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:30 am

In the Wiki, it would be a bad idea to make articles or post images about Bubble Lead or Triple Blade until and unless the development team announces how would they work or the game is released, so the titiles are protected from creation at the moment.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:04 am

Not my preferred pick, but certainly an interesting weapon with a neat buff regardless. Curious to see how these blocks can be used, such as maybe activating Astro Buttons, making paths through acidic chemical solutions, and more.

NikoPalad67140

Post by NikoPalad67140 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:30 am

This announcement reminds me of a topic I posted a few months ago:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10198
I'm on Discord now! Yeepee!

ZepperFang

Post by ZepperFang » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm

A huge thank you for the Super Arm addition!
Really!

BUT...

The "team" is mostly changing the weapons mechanics. Some of the changes are a improvement (like Top Spin or Hard Knuckle), but this one is... a bad choice. "Oh, but it is in Mega Man Powered Up". I don't think that everything in MMPU is a point of improvement over the original game. This Super Arm version is... a cheat.

Anyway... it IS a great addition, no doubt.

Uranus
Discord: Uranus#7544

Post by Uranus » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:03 pm

ZepperFang wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm
Really!

BUT...

The "team" is mostly changing the weapons mechanics. Some of the changes are a improvement (like Top Spin or Hard Knuckle), but this one is... a bad choice. "Oh, but it is in Mega Man Powered Up". I don't think that everything in MMPU is a point of improvement over the original game. This Super Arm version is... a cheat.

I don't really see the feature's inclusion to be a game changer since we already have Concrete Shot (Even though it is weaker, The similarities are there.) I would like an option to toggle it off or on though.
I'm now a forum mod, Talk to me or the other moderators if you have any issues.

JOIN THE UNITED CORPARATIONS TODAY!!

pm me to do so

DestroyerOfDestruction

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:11 pm

I prefer an overpowered weapon over a strictly situational one, since you can take more of the former.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:06 pm

Uranus wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:03 pm
ZepperFang wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:24 pm
Really!

BUT...

I don't really see the feature's inclusion to be a game changer since we already have Concrete Shot (Even though it is weaker, The similarities are there.) I would like an option to toggle it off or on though.
Well you can't just build a staircase with Concrete Chot so I can see where he's coming from. Like Nado, Charge Kick, and the like before it, it's going to be a pain to design around for traditional levels.

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Actually S.Arm and C.Shot have different advantages that make them different.

Concrete shot can cause 3hp to enemies, although it is a weakness of Fire totem, Carycarry and Flower presenter, in addition to wrapping divisible and explosive enemies and also defeats spins, in utility it can serve to constantly climb stone by stone and can petrify Magma beams, in addition to being able to block the passage of laser beams.

From Super Arm, for now we only know that you can create your own platforms with a limit of five and it also allows you to climb, but it takes up more space and limits you more, although it surely also blocks Laser beams, regarding fortresses against enemies, I'm sure that he can cope with the assumptions, but I don't know that other enemies will have that weakness.

ivanmegafanboy

Post by ivanmegafanboy » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm

I feel like being able to generate 5 blocks at a time is very much overkill, and pretty OP (I remember how Guts man was able to break boses in MMPU only by altering the terrain), the only way I can see it working as a typical weapon is if generating the blocks consumes a big amount of energy, maybe 3-5 points. Obviously, with the blocks dealing decent damage. Anyways, its puzzle potential sounds wonderful. One of my favorite weapons in the series, only because of the concept. Love you, dev team <3.
I propose the feature of also being able to pick and throw dust blocks with super arm, that is the most innocuous interaction I think it can have with stage gimmicks, as I sincerely don´'t know how being able to pick cracked blocks or push blocks might affect the game.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:23 pm

DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:11 pm
I prefer an overpowered weapon over a strictly situational one, since you can take more of the former.
I agree.
ivanmegafanboy wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:20 pm
I feel like being able to generate 5 blocks at a time is very much overkill, and pretty OP (I remember how Guts man was able to break boses in MMPU only by altering the terrain)
A simple pre-emptive fix for that would be to allow boss projectiles to destroy player made guts blocks.
I propose the feature of also being able to pick and throw dust blocks with super arm, that is the most innocuous interaction I think it can have with stage gimmicks, as I sincerely don´'t know how being able to pick cracked blocks or push blocks might affect the game.
I'm a big fan of having additional interaction with current assets. Recycling and expanding versatility with old assets.

Being able to have an additional use for Push Blocks via Super Arm could open up some new possibilities if implemented well.

For example: What if Weapon Energy was a requirement for creating blocks and grabbing Guts Blocks, but not Push Blocks? What if the player could still pick up and put down Push Blocks with zero energy consumption? This would assist in having varied level design and different gameplay implications.

I would imagine Cracked Blocks would function exactly as Guts Blocks if Super Arm were applied to them.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:34 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:23 pm
What if Weapon Energy was a requirement for creating blocks and grabbing Guts Blocks
Grabbing existing blocks should be free. Only creating new ones should cost energy.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:50 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:34 pm
Blue_Bummer wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:23 pm
What if Weapon Energy was a requirement for creating blocks and grabbing Guts Blocks
Grabbing existing blocks should be free. Only creating new ones should cost energy.
Just looking at it canonically MM1 (not Powered Up) cost Weapon Energy if Guts Blocks were grabbed and thrown.

This is why I proposed the idea on picking up Push Blocks + tossing them not requiring/expending Energy.

That difference between the different blocks and how they interact with Super Arm would afford Makers/Players more options.

DestroyerOfDestruction

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:57 am

Here is Luigi's original proof of concept of the weapon.

https://i.imgur.com/SfiQNit.mp4

Note: I failed to embed the video, so I will leave up to the public to watch the video there as I don't want to clog the moderator logs with something that may not work.