Forums - Block PMs from foes

Share feedback for the website, forums, Discord or wiki here.
V1ralGam3r
Discord: #1787

Forums - Block PMs from foes

Post by V1ralGam3r » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:54 pm

Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. Personal messages from foes are still permitted.
It might just be me, but if you're listing a user as a Foe to be able to psuedo-block them on forums then you probably don't want them in your inbox. Heck, it even does the same thing Discord does with bars that still show their activity instead of a full ignoring of them.

This inability to bar someone from your personal message inbox is also pretty bad for stopping harassment. Sure, you could report their messages, but it's better to be able to completely shut down that possibility as opposed to having to pester a moderator for every time an instance happens.
Knight needs caffeine badly.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Forums - Block PMs from foes

Post by Royalguard » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:47 am

I'm legit surprised the Foe function works like this.
If anything, blocking the potential for unwanted PM harassment from specific users should be far and away the top priority.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Luigi

Post by Luigi » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 am

Ya blocking messages from people you don't want works a bit different here than you would expect from the Foe option.
I had to block two people who sent me PM's demanding I put their list of content multiple times.

Here is how you do it:
  1. Click the private messages button on the top right.
  2. Click on the "Rules, folders, & settings" button on the left side bar just under the option "Sent messages".
  3. You will see at the top of the page a section for "Defined rules" and "Add new rule", you want to use the "Add new rule" section.
  4. You will see next to the word "If:" is a drop box for selection and a next button. In this case select sender and press next.
  5. The page will update and you will now see the drop box for filtering options. You can either select "is" if you directly know their name or you can select "is foe" if you already have them defined in that category albeit you will also have the quirks of not seeing their messages and such comes with it if you use foe. Once chosen press next.(I personally recommend you just use "is" as it's more precise.)
  6. If you used "is" you will be prompted for a name of the user as shown in their PM to you or their posts and then press next. If you used "is foe" go to next step.
  7. You will then be prompted for an action of what to do when this filter condition is met. If you want you can either "mark as read" so that you can keep the message to read later without having to be notified that you got one but if you wish to outright block the message and not see it at all then select "Delete message" and it will not alert you about a message and will dispose of it.
  8. Click the "Add rule" button and it will update the page and show the new rule in the "Defined rules" section above.
So that's honestly all there is to blocking messages. You can explore the actions and filters with it as it is quite flexible if you wish.

V1ralGam3r
Discord: #1787

Post by V1ralGam3r » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Luigi wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:38 am
So that's honestly all there is to blocking messages. You can explore the actions and filters with it as it is quite flexible if you wish.
Hm, yeah, that is simple once you know it's an option. Still, you'd have to know that's how it actually works before you can actually block, which may be a problem for people new to forums in general or coming from Discord's automated methods of this coming into here.

While it's definitely not necessary at all, I'd still like to suggest that making a person a Foe would at minimum send the PMs to a Foes Only folder and mark in such a way they prevent notifications, if possible. That way, the messages still exist for those who still wish to read them for whatever reason but they aren't immediately swarmed by ~5-ish notifs about someone yelling at you through there.

Understandable if denied, since this can be done manually like you've shown, but I think it'd make the Friends / Foe feature a bit more immediately impactful and user-friendly for newbies. Perhaps even have a directory under the Foes description taking a user to the necessary area to make these rules, if coding the automated stuff ends up more time-consuming than worth doing.
Knight needs caffeine badly.

rollerC
Site Admin
Discord: rollerC#5125

Post by rollerC » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:19 pm

V1ralGam3r wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:32 pm
While it's definitely not necessary at all, I'd still like to suggest that making a person a Foe would at minimum send the PMs to a Foes Only folder and mark in such a way they prevent notifications, if possible. That way, the messages still exist for those who still wish to read them for whatever reason but they aren't immediately swarmed by ~5-ish notifs about someone yelling at you through there.
The problem is really that we can't make that happen unless we add a mod to the forums, which did not work last time (the like button broke half the accounts on the forums). I absolutely think it's a good idea, but since we already have a workable albeit confusing method, we'd rather avoid adding a mod.
pee

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigDestroyer#4335

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:23 pm

You can set foes to have their messages deleted.