Power Ups without Shops

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
Blue_Bummer

Power Ups without Shops

Post by Blue_Bummer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:10 am

Inspired by the bolts without shops thread by Fluff Man.

The Pitch:

Shops are deconfirmed, but what about the Power-Ups themselves? A great wealth of customization lies here for offering new ideas for map design and gameplay through Power-Ups.

Purpose is to give further rewards for players for finding secrets hidden in levels, for accomplishing challenges within a level (like tricky jumps or puzzles), rewarding exploration, etc.

Mega Man's 7 through 11 and Mega Man & Bass offer a wide array of potential shop power-ups that could be implemented.

Here is an example mock-screen of how Power-Ups could be presented at the loading of the level with a "Available Power Ups" section added at the top.

Here in the above image the map creator has enabled the Arrow Shot (MM8) with Critical Boost and Heavy Charge (MM&B).

How Power-Ups could be implemented:

*My favorite idea involves adding bolts to MMM. In this during the map creation process the map creators choose what Power-ups are available in the menus, and then next to each Power-up the creators decide how many bolts it takes to unlock that power up (by entering a numerical value). This will enable Bolts in a map that can be randomly dropped by enemies (like Power and Weapon energy), as well as Bolts planted throughout a stage by map creators in specific areas (hidden areas, challenging areas, puzzle areas). Once the necessary amount of bolts are collected the Power-Up would automatically be activated. This would be a huge enhancement for Metroidvania styled levels.

*Another way is to simply have Power-Ups added like Weapons. Either automatically at game start or by "Power-Up Capsules"tm the player finds in a level.

To jog the memory and inspire in mind what this could mean here are some links...

Mega Man 8 Power-Ups

Mega Man & Bass Power-Ups

Mega Man 11 Power-Ups

Now imagine for a moment being able to mix and match these items, coupled with Weapons. It'd be glorious. 8-)

Now certainly not all these would be appropriate or necessary (Weakness detector, CD finder, Surprise Shell) but many of these are fantastic. Two of them at the top of my list are Arrow Shot and Laser Shot.

Arrow Shot from MM8.

Laser Shot from MM8

With so much variety there'd be a lot of interesting combinations possible.
Last edited by Blue_Bummer on Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Blue_Bummer

Re: Power Ups without Shops

Post by Blue_Bummer » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:25 pm

UPDATE:

Oddly the above links for Mega Man 8 and Mega Man and Bass lists of Power-Ups are immediately down after posting this thread last night. :\

Here are two videos showcasing the Power-Ups to make up for that.

Mega Man 8

Power Ups Part 1:

Power Ups Part 2:

Mega Man and Bass:

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:20 am

I just love your idea, although it would also be better if the screws serve as a point bonus object or a kind of mini key to collect a certain amount and open some doors, that would work excellent for levels where you must kill as many enemies as necessary to advance, with the same screw configuration.
On the other hand, I would like there to be capsules of power ups to unlock them as a kind of wearable prize in the levels.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:42 pm

14Protoman wrote:it would also be better if the screws serve as a point bonus object or a kind of mini key to collect a certain amount and open some doors, that would work excellent for levels where you must kill as many enemies as necessary to advance, with the same screw configuration.
Using Screws/bolts as a means of a "clear requirement" was mentioned in Fluff Man's thread. It's a great idea and one I would very much like to see as well. It would allow for MM9/MM10 "Endless Challenge" style levels to be possible, as players continuously play until they "beat" the level by meeting the requirement.

In the end if the Devs don't like the idea of multiple Power Ups and/or bolts, I hope they at least consider adding Arrow Shot and Laser Shot as buster variants to be added to MMM. :)

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:59 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:42 pm
14Protoman wrote:it would also be better if the screws serve as a point bonus object or a kind of mini key to collect a certain amount and open some doors, that would work excellent for levels where you must kill as many enemies as necessary to advance, with the same screw configuration.
Using Screws/bolts as a means of a "clear requirement" was mentioned in Fluff Man's thread. It's a great idea and one I would very much like to see as well. It would allow for MM9/MM10 "Endless Challenge" style levels to be possible, as players continuously play until they "beat" the level by meeting the requirement.

In the end if the Devs don't like the idea of multiple Power Ups and/or bolts, I hope they at least consider adding Arrow Shot and Laser Shot as buster variants to be added to MMM. :)
Yes, and abillity capsules

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:52 pm

For those interested the pages are back up on the MM8 and Mega Man and Bass Power ups. :)

Power-Ups that I would love to see ingame...

Power Shield: No pushback when hit by an enemy

Shooting Part: 5 Buster shots can be on screen simultaneously

Arrow Shot: See first post

Laser Shot: See first post

Auto Shoot: Mega Buster automatically fires off a charged shot when you charge it up

Step Booster: Climb ladders faster

Energy Saver: Increased Weapon Energy amounts

Super Recover: More life energy per energy capsule

Hyper Slider: Slide faster and farther

Boost Part: Increased speed of Mega Buster shots

Exchanger: If you find a life capsule when Mega Man's life energy is full, it will be converted to weapon energy.

Spike Saver: Hit Spikes once for damage but don't die (unless you lose all your life energy)

Critical Boost: Automatically fire stronger shots when your life energy is low

Auto Charge: Automatically charge the buster without holding down fire

Generator: Use less energy than normal on special weapons

Energy Transfer: When taking damage special weapons energy is refilled

Shield Boost: Take less damage than normal

Auto Recover: Health energy slowly refills automatically. If this was added I would like to see the Devs buff it to allow movement and still slowly recharge health.

Heavy Charge: Mega Buster charges faster than normal.

Energy Balancer Neo: When not using a Special Weapon and you pick up a Weapon Energy it is distributed to all Special Weapons instead of just one

Spike Boots: Don't slip on the ice

Awakener Chip: All Weapons can be used without expending Special Weapon Energy

And if bolts were implemented I would want the following (but only if bolts were added)...

Exit Device: Allows the player to end the level with a win

This would allow for endless challenge style levels where the player just tries to collect bolts and survive till they hit the required bolt count.

Combinations of the above could result in some really insanely fun gameplay! :D Especially rewarding for levels that encourage exploration and for modifying the player's experience midgame. Really hope the Devs consider Power-Ups.