We can't have Wily Castle bosses, so instead...

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
LeonardMan

We can't have Wily Castle bosses, so instead...

Post by LeonardMan » Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:55 pm

This is based on an idea somebody else told me about a long while ago, and has already been discussed at some point in these forums...

The person in question (I don't remember who) told me about an idea for a boss that does nothing, it doesn't move, it doesn't shoot, possibly isn't even affected by gravity, it just stays stationary, has a lifebar, takes hits, and has weaknesses and immunity to weapons.

These are my thoughts for such a boss, which have also already been discussed before, but I'll explain in more detail here.

The "boss" consists of a 2x2 tile, and it looks like a round glowing glass core, the type you see in many "giant machine" bosses even outside of the Mega Man series. The square box outside of the core's circunference is NOT transparent, and in fact can have many selectable color palettes that match the colors of various tilesets...

Of course, the idea is that the player builds the "body" of the machine with tiles, and its "weapons" with level objects (or cannon-type enemies, if you want destroyable parts). With this "boss", we'll be able to build our own "giant machine" bosses, without having to place a random Robot Master in a little box.

This thing is not even hard to program considering that everything you need is already coded, so I don't see why not throw it in as a substitute for those Wily Castle bosses we're never going to have. In fact, this alternative has more creative potential since the player will absolutely HAVE to get creative with the game's assets in order to make good use of it.

Gravitrax64

Re: We can't have Wily Castle bosses, so instead...

Post by Gravitrax64 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:54 am

I actually think that is a pretty good idea. In my opinion though, this "boss" should have some abilities that could be toggled on or off such as if it fires basic shots, how much health it has, if it can be destroyed by any weapons at all, and if it should be affected by gravity or not.
UARM club and G-FORCE have merged into what is now: UARM - Force
If you would like to join then click here: https://discord.gg/rcywffX

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:33 am

I mean, I basically use Bubble Man out of water for this kind of thing, currently, but even that isn't ideal, because I don't necessarily want a bunch of Bubble Lead trailing along the ground all the time.
It would be nice to have something dedicated to this type of use, along with the above-mentioned options.
It would be nice to make a boss that's impervious to all types of attacks, except one or two that we select, for instance.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:19 pm

Zephadus wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:33 am
It would be nice to make a boss that's impervious to all types of attacks, except one or two that we select, for instance.
I wonder if the devs will be willing to modify the engine to allow for multiple immunities for bosses... but yes, that would help make certain battles more challenging.