Tundra Man

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
D-Man

Tundra Man

Post by D-Man » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:46 am

What?
Flashy, acrobatic, (useless?) Cossack-made robot who dreams of being a world-renowned figure skater. From MM11.

How?
Tundra Man is 2x3 in the editor. He begins the fight with a small spinning jump backward before using the following moves:

- dashing straight forward while spinning. He is immune to damage except from his primary weakness while spinning.

- dashes to the other side, spin-jumping 3 tiles high when he reaches the middle of the screen he was initially placed in.

- does three 5-tile high spin-jumps to the other side.

- two non-spinning 2-tile high jumps. The second is wider than the first.

When his health reaches below half, he activates his Speed Gear, causing him to quickly dash sideways 3 times before jumping to the middle of the screen and using Tundra Storm to hit above and below him.

Why?
Tundra Man's lack of projectile attacks means he would work best when placed center stage (as he would like). His high jumps should allow him to clear uneven terrain with little issue, and he has the advantage of being fast and able to deflect shots while spinning.

Other
Tundra Man should turn when hitting a wall during his dashes.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

LeonardMan

Re: Tundra Man

Post by LeonardMan » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:24 am

Tundra Man? ...REALLY?

Ever wondered why the devs chose to put Blast Man in update 1.6 instead of him? Here's why Tundra Man is never going to be in Mega Man Maker:
D-Man wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:46 am
When his health reaches below half, he activates his Speed Gear, causing him to quickly dash sideways 3 times
First of all, THIS! This attack won't do jack shit if the floor in the boss room isn't completely flat.
D-Man wrote:
before jumping to the middle of the screen and using Tundra Storm to hit above and below him.
Which means his range is very narrow and limited, he can't touch the player at all in a lot of situations.
D-Man wrote:
Tundra Man's lack of projectile attacks
Why would you brag THIS as a selling point!? His lack of projectile attacks is EXACTLY why the devs do not consider adding him!

Apologies for being so harsh, but I thought it was obvious to everyone by now that this Robot Master can't make it into Mega Man Maker.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:27 pm

D-Man wrote:
He begins the fight with a small spinning jump backward before using the following moves:
I feel it should be clarified that this is his entrance animation and not an attack.
LeonardMan wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:24 am
Tundra Man? ...REALLY?

Ever wondered why the devs chose to put Blast Man in update 1.6 instead of him? Here's why Tundra Man is never going to be in Mega Man Maker:
D-Man wrote:
When his health reaches below half, he activates his Speed Gear, causing him to quickly dash sideways 3 times
First of all, THIS! This attack won't do jack shit if the floor in the boss room isn't completely flat.
D-Man wrote:
before jumping to the middle of the screen and using Tundra Storm to hit above and below him.
Which means his range is very narrow and limited, he can't touch the player at all in a lot of situations.
D-Man wrote:
Tundra Man's lack of projectile attacks
Why would you brag THIS as a selling point!? His lack of projectile attacks is EXACTLY why the devs do not consider adding him!

Apologies for being so harsh, but I thought it was obvious to everyone by now that this Robot Master can't make it into Mega Man Maker.
This reads like an angry Smash fan's post.

First of all, not all of a Robot Master's attacks have to work in all situations (Top Man has literally the exact same attack, but slower, and he's here just fine), and while Tundra Man's first type of attack, and part of his Speed Gear phase won't work without a flat floor, you also can't punish him for trying since he's invincible. On top of this, the attacks that have him jump will allow him to traverse the stage, as D-Man has pointed out.

Also, D-Man wasn't using his lack of projectiles as a selling point. He was pointing out that he would work best in a more traditional boss room rather than used as a stage hazard like Time Man or as a shoot 'em up style boss like Ice Man. This is true of other Robot Masters in the game as well, so I don't see this as a problem either. I think D-Man succeeds in explaining how well Tundra Man would work here.

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:00 pm

SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:27 pm
I feel it should be clarified that this is his entrance animation and not an attack.

First of all, not all of a Robot Master's attacks have to work in all situations (Top Man has literally the exact same attack, but slower, and he's here just fine), and while Tundra Man's first type of attack, and part of his Speed Gear phase won't work without a flat floor, you also can't punish him for trying since he's invincible. On top of this, the attacks that have him jump will allow him to traverse the stage, as D-Man has pointed out.

Also, D-Man wasn't using his lack of projectiles as a selling point. He was pointing out that he would work best in a more traditional boss room rather than used as a stage hazard like Time Man or as a shoot 'em up style boss like Ice Man. This is true of other Robot Masters in the game as well, so I don't see this as a problem either. I think D-Man succeeds in explaining how well Tundra Man would work here.
I felt like explaining this to him, but the truth is I only made this suggestion because the Feedback Suggestions on both sites seemed quiet, and also for the Shovel Knight reference at the beginning.

One key difference between Top and Tundra is the former has homing projectiles, which make up for his lack of jumps. Charge is in a similar boat. Concrete and Bounce also cannot harm the player through walls, but made it in just fine.

Tundra Man, as I said, would be best used alongside other bosses as long as he's not boxed in.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:38 pm

I like Tundra Man, but his whole pattern comes off as very limited and not versatile.

He would require some serious tweaking to make inclusion into MMM.

Canonically Tundra has a great jumping ability. If the Devs were willing to tweak him *just a little* then he could jump over any obstacle in his way, making him a great contact damage opponent.

If his Tundra Storm attack was tweaked to allow utilization beyond the center of the room, it would also be a vast improvement.

Knowing the Devs are resistant to excessively changing RM attack patterns brings into question Tundra Man's possibility of inclusion into MMM.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:22 pm

Looking at a few buster only runs, his attack pattern seems to not be random at all:
SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:27 pm
This is false. Sorry for trying to correct you there D-Man. He does an invincible spinning jump (from now on, just spin jump) to the side of the stage he's closer to at the beginning of all of his patterns.
Pattern 1 (high health):
  • Spin dash across the stage. This attack cannot traverse terrain, but is invincible.
  • Backward dash in the other direction followed by a single spin jump a slight bit before he reaches the center of the room. This attack can likely clear three tile walls with ease.
  • Three huge spin jumps in the other direction. This attack will be able to clear jumps Mega Man can't.
  • A short hop in the other direction followed by a much larger leap that spans the majority of the stage. The latter can clear 2 tile high walls.
  • A dash across the stage in another direction. Cannot get across uneven terrain.
  • In expert mode, Tundra Man will now activate Speed Gear. Otherwise, he just poses. In both cases, he will start the pattern over afterward.
At Half health, Tundra Man will flinch before activating Speed Gear. This attack has him dash across the stage at high speed three times, then jump into the center (roughly 3 blocks high), and use Tundra Storm, which hits in a column above and below him. If Tundra Man cannot get to the center of the stage, he will likely fire Tundra Storm wherever he ends up.

After this attack he does his readjusting spin jump, poses, and starts his low health pattern.
Pattern 2 (how health):
  • Backward dash followed by a two spin jumps: one a slight bit before he reaches the center of the room, and the other about one forth of the way to the other side of the room. This attack can likely clear three tile walls with ease, and more than one at that.
  • Spin dash in the other direction. This attack cannot traverse terrain, but is invincible.
  • Three huge spin jumps in the other direction. This attack will be able to clear jumps Mega Man can't. Tundra Man lands in different spots than before.
  • Tundra Man will always activate Speed Gear now, and start the pattern over afterward.
Mega Man Maker's Robot Masters do not use the expert mode patterns, so in a traditional style boss room, 2/5 of Tundra Man's first pattern is completely blocked by having any walls whatsoever. If his pattern is changed so that he'll always head towards Mega Man, then the rest of his pattern can still provide challenge. His Speed Gear phase will look a little silly, but it won't be completely negated by a custom boss room. 1.5/4 of Tundra Man's second pattern doesn't work if the terrain isn't flat, so while it would be a little easier, the pattern would still work for the most part.

My verdict is that, while Tundra Man cannot be used as a stage hazard like Top Man or something, he would work perfectly fine in most traditional style boss rooms provided he is give the incredibly small tweak of always moving toward Mega Man if his attack doesn't reach the other side of the room, albeit with an easier fight if walls are involved. Lastly, his lack of projectiles, and ability to be rendered less hectic do have a silver lining in that he can more easily be paired up with other Robot Masters without making things incredibly unfair.