Walk-Through Walls

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
Sticks

Walk-Through Walls

Post by Sticks » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm

Basically tiles that have the specialty to be able to walk through, there were tons of secrets in past Mega Man games and i'd love to see this as an addition for secret areas, I believe almost every tile should have the option to have a walk through-able setting, this way it doesn't look out of place and can be a true secret, it also would help with scenery and aesthetic purposes instead of using ladders as a connecter between floating blocks and the ground, and lastly it helps with providing secret ideas/breakable wall sort of idea without needing dust blocks (which pop out and are obvious) or cracked blocks which are just as obvious most of the time.

Lemme know if this is a good idea or not, or maybe other ways this could be expanded upon, I really wanna start adding secrets to my stages but its a bit difficult with current limitations. This may have already been suggested before so sorry if it has!
Profile Name: StyxSticks

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Re: Walk-Through Walls

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 pm

Sticks wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:49 pm
Basically tiles that have the specialty to be able to walk through, there were tons of secrets in past Mega Man games and i'd love to see this as an addition for secret areas, I believe almost every tile should have the option to have a walk through-able setting, this way it doesn't look out of place and can be a true secret, it also would help with scenery and aesthetic purposes instead of using ladders as a connecter between floating blocks and the ground, and lastly it helps with providing secret ideas/breakable wall sort of idea without needing dust blocks (which pop out and are obvious) or cracked blocks which are just as obvious most of the time.

Lemme know if this is a good idea or not, or maybe other ways this could be expanded upon, I really wanna start adding secrets to my stages but its a bit difficult with current limitations. This may have already been suggested before so sorry if it has!
I don't think this is a good idea. You might use it just for secrets, but everyone else will likely use it to make Wily 3 from Mega Man 2 on steroids. I think the addition of Concrete Man, Wily 3 (Mega Man 2), Turbo Man, and I believe Wily 1 (Mega Man 6)'s visible, but intangible blocks will suffice, as they could be more discrete, but still noticeable if you're looking hard enough.

Sticks

Post by Sticks » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:24 pm

Yeah I realize that they can be used in terrible ways but I would like to have many different tilesets for them, so they don't look so out of place, but I will check those stages to see which ones you're talking about since I don't remember them off the top of my head.
Profile Name: StyxSticks

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 pm

The main issue I have with this is not how people will use it, but the fact that there will need to be skins for every tile in the game, of which there are a lot.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

6bee

Post by 6bee » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:54 pm

SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:56 pm
I don't think this is a good idea. You might use it just for secrets, but everyone else will likely use it to make Wily 3 from Mega Man 2 on steroids. I think the addition of Concrete Man, Wily 3 (Mega Man 2), Turbo Man, and I believe Wily 1 (Mega Man 6)'s visible, but intangible blocks will suffice, as they could be more discrete, but still noticeable if you're looking hard enough.
I don't think the fact that some people might use a tool wrong should be taken into account when deciding on whether to implement it into the game. If someone wants to make a bad level they will make a bad level regardless of the tools available.

If we want to get the most out of fake blocks then having some skins that are indistinguishable from normal blocks would be better, since they would allow for surprises - like in Wily 1-2, or like in many Doom maps if you're familiar with that - and more creative ways to identify fake floors using enemy and weapon behaviour.

I think it'd be a great addition, but it could be a pain to implement.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:12 am

D-Man wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:24 pm
The main issue I have with this is not how people will use it, but the fact that there will need to be skins for every tile in the game, of which there are a lot.
I don't think that'd be necessary actually. In fact, if you were to implement the feature as described, you would likely only be able to do so with the option to remove collision from a tile, and to make sure that doing so would add collision to the the tiles that are now surrounding the newly exposed area.

Something like this would probably get its own tool in the editor. I do foresee the extra code being tacked onto something so fundamental being really annoying to try and implement though.