Slopes, Inclines, Angled Surfaces

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
Dranius7

Slopes, Inclines, Angled Surfaces

Post by Dranius7 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Slopes could allow better use of narrow spaces, and also allow for interesting boss rooms.

I've seen them used in MaGMML2.

Perhaps they could be generated using a vector. Place the 2 blocks that you want to begin and end the slope with, then a special tool could be used to connect them.

Downside: this would possibly cause many new bugs to appear.

Mega Pokebattlerz
Discord: Mega Pokebattlerz#4489

Re: Slopes, Inclines, Angled Surfaces

Post by Mega Pokebattlerz » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm

Slopes haven't appeared in any of the numbered games (besides those awful snowboarding sections in Mega Man 8) and the dev team isn't interested in adding things from fan games, so I don't think we'll be seeing them anytime soon.
ded

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Aren't the slopes in MAGMML2 a bit wonky though?

Lukasposkus
Discord: Lukasposkus#4868

Post by Lukasposkus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:05 pm

even thought it wasn't added in the originals/classics,i still could like to see it.Like look at super mario maker with it's missted oportunity of not adding slopes,ye it's not pleasent.
people stoled this bio,O K

My avater is a test pixel art profile pic,so don't be harsh.And i am just bad at pixel art,so don't say this is bad,because i know that myself.

note:this avater is my megaman like logo,not some random mess of pixels

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 am

Yes, but the difference here is that Super Mario Bros. included slopes in their core games from the third installment.
Mega Man has never had slopes (aforementioned snowboarding bit excluded), and shoehorning them in because Super Mario Bros. makes very little sense.

Imagine if the roles were reversed, where Capcom published a Mega Man Maker, and a fan created a Super Mario Maker, and you requested Force Beams in Super Mario Maker because Mega Man Maker has them.
Force Beams have no place in Super Mario Bros.

However, if for any reason Mega Man Maker does get slopes, I demand a new weapon that either turns Mega Man into an invincible rock that slides on slopes, or a modified Rush Jet that acts as a Rush Skateboard. 8-)
And don't forget to adjust the angle of Gemini Lasers when striking slopes. :lol:

Lukasposkus

Post by Lukasposkus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Zephadus wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 am
Yes, but the difference here is that Super Mario Bros. included slopes in their core games from the third installment.
Mega Man has never had slopes (aforementioned snowboarding bit excluded), and shoehorning them in because Super Mario Bros. makes very little sense.

Imagine if the roles were reversed, where Capcom published a Mega Man Maker, and a fan created a Super Mario Maker, and you requested Force Beams in Super Mario Maker because Mega Man Maker has them.

However, if for any reason Mega Man Maker does get slopes, I demand a new weapon that either turns Mega Man into an invincible rock that slides on slopes, or a modified Rush Jet that acts as a Rush Skateboard. 8-)
And don't forget to adjust the angle of Gemini Lasers when striking slopes. :lol:
I kind of thought about that and ye it makes so little sense to make another game feature added in this,and i know this is a little stupid and nicpicky,but MM has slopes,not in the originals,but in the X series,well MM and the MM X series are in a way still the same francise,they still have the same core,objective,story and ect.

My avater is a test pixel art profile pic,so don't be harsh.And i am just bad at pixel art,so don't say this is bad,because i know that myself.

TREMIC1

Post by TREMIC1 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:14 pm

Lukasposkus wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:38 pm
Zephadus wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:26 am

I kind of thought about that and ye it makes so little sense to make another game feature added in this,and i know this is a little stupid and nicpicky,but MM has slopes,not in the originals,but in the X series,well MM and the MM X series are in a way still the same francise,they still have the same core,objective,story and ect.
They may still be the same franchise, but they were still designed with different gameplay in mind. Classic Mega Man, the one MMM is based of of, being designed for the NES, uses a specific collection of limitations (such as it's sprite limitations) to create the style of the games we attributed to that series, such as precise box like platforming and mostly linear stage gameplay

MMX was designed with the SNES in mind which did not contain certain limitations the NES had. Yes X may be inspired by the classic series but it still incorporates its own gameplay elements sometimes not just seen but not able to be implemented into the NES gameplay.

Think of each as a "visual language" of sort. For example Kanji (Japanese writing characters), and Hanzi (Chinese writing characters) may have similar looks and even origins, but their meaning's and set of rules vary.

Of course you could also say that "anything" is possible with modern game engines, but you still have to think about at the very least all of the things that have to be changed/edited to incorporate such a feature, especially in a more "sandbox" game as this were you can't always count for the various possibilities until testing. Hitbox, enemy and tile collission would all need to be edited to work within this scenario.

Fanduber

Post by Fanduber » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:48 am

Dranius7 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:31 pm
Slopes could allow better use of narrow spaces, and also allow for interesting boss rooms.

I've seen them used in MaGMML2.

Perhaps they could be generated using a vector. Place the 2 blocks that you want to begin and end the slope with, then a special tool could be used to connect them.

Downside: this would possibly cause many new bugs to appear.
HEY! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE! YOU CRAZY! I SAY DON'T WANT SLOPES/INCLINES/ANGLED SURFACES ADD TO THE MEGA MAN MAKER! KANASAI! WTF!

Dranius7

Post by Dranius7 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 pm

i do understand that the original games have no slopes, but neither do they have: keys/doors, character swap items, non-megaman weapons (reflect, tornado, P Freeze), etc.

Saying that something shouldn't be added for the sake of staying true to the originals is a bad argument; We already have several non-original features already.

MegaMan Maker and MaGMML2 share the same Mega Engine, so the only problem i see with implementation is making it work with the current user interface of MMMaker.

Go away Fanduber/UknownUser/HardMan. You annoy me with your spam.

Lukasposkus

Post by Lukasposkus » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:06 pm

Dranius7 wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:43 pm
i do understand that the original games have no slopes, but neither do they have: keys/doors, character swap items, non-megaman weapons (reflect, tornado, P Freeze), etc.

Saying that something shouldn't be added for the sake of staying true to the originals is a bad argument; We already have several non-original features already.

MegaMan Maker and MaGMML2 share the same Mega Engine, so the only problem i see with implementation is making it work with the current user interface of MMMaker.

Go away Fanduber/UknownUser/HardMan. You annoy me with your spam.
Ye i can agree,like if the originals didn't have that object/thing,that doesn't mean that fan-games,rom hacks can't make it too.

QuartexGames

Post by QuartexGames » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 am

Junk man wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 am
Super Mario Maker 2 coming this late 2019 with slopes so I bumped it

Any ideas about the slopes, huh?
Push Blocks, death lasers and water will destroy them.
Woah It's Green ID: 376773
Woah It's Yellow ID: 379620

Blast Man
Discord: Play Dash#9888

Post by Blast Man » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:35 am

Junk man wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:51 am
Super Mario Maker 2 coming this late 2019 with slopes so I bumped it

Any ideas about the slopes, huh?
Maybe only 2 variants: the one from Mega Man 8 and an unique metal one which comes in 7 colors (gray and all the colors of the rainbow).
A gamer/pixel artist (also known as Play Dash, old idiotic account here) who also likes Mega Man games! I also like the artstyle and aesthetics of the old Mega Man games/Mega Man Maker demakes.

Currently working on Rivals of Aether stuff and MM demakes!

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:34 pm

MegaMan 8 featured slopes in multiple areas. Here in the very first stage we see sloped areas both above ground and beneath with a specific squid-enemy bot that rolls down them.

https://youtu.be/PiFBqMrK-gI?t=329

Underwater..

https://youtu.be/PiFBqMrK-gI?t=384

Let me suggest this... An easier(?) way for the devs to implement/offer slopes for level building being blocks that are sloped.

Level creators could just drop a block and boom instant slope, the blocks could have varying heights so as to create longer areas of slopes/inclines/declines.

In order to match multiple tilesets the blocks would need to come in an assortment of colors. A standard texture would be necessary as I imagine it would be far too much trouble to create slope blocks to match each specific texture of each tileset, due to the wonderful amount of textured tilesets MMM has.

.. but to say that Mega Man games never had slopes in regular gameplay is incorrect.

BenPlusMM
Discord: https://discord.gg/a9XqaZ6 / Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:01 am

MM1 Wily 2 had upside-down slopes.
Eggery.

Toryah The Camon

Post by Toryah The Camon » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm

Mega Pokebattlerz wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm
Slopes haven't appeared in any of the numbered games (besides those awful snowboarding sections in Mega Man 8) and the dev team isn't interested in adding things from fan games, so I don't think we'll be seeing them anytime soon.
It's a MAKER game, dumb excuse for saying something shouldn't be in.
Slopes have appeared outside of the snowboarding sections.
AND They'd bring more good than bad in a maker game. Any reason why slopes shouldn't be added? Anything bad about slopes?
Would be useful for a maker game.

TheCreativeEye
Discord: TheCreativeEye#0160

Post by TheCreativeEye » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm

Toryah The Camon wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:40 pm
Mega Pokebattlerz wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:33 pm
It's a MAKER game, dumb excuse for saying something shouldn't be in.
Slopes have appeared outside of the snowboarding sections.
AND They'd bring more good than bad in a maker game. Any reason why slopes shouldn't be added? Anything bad about slopes?
Would be useful for a maker game.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Mmmm, "if you ever see me, consider yourself unlucky", what a genious quote!
(Still made the Scloof™ Turret)

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:48 pm

No issues with slopes, other than possibly having issues with programming. Unsure though.