A small aesthetic change

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
BenPlusMM
Discord: Ben™ #6759

A small aesthetic change

Post by BenPlusMM » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:15 pm

Have Mega Man use his MM9/10 palette when equipped with the 9/10 Buster specifically.
Does this look like the face of mercy to you?
Currently a Level 100 Pun Warrior!
XP to level up: largenumber.doc

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigDestroyer#4335

Re: A small aesthetic change

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Mega Man has had his buster in almost all of his appearances, with the exception of Mega Man V for Game Boy.
You may warn me about problems in the MMM platforms.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:34 pm

DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Mega Man has had his buster in almost all of his appearances, with the exception of Mega Man V for Game Boy.
He's speaking aesthetically, meaning visually.

If I'm interpreting his request correctly, he's referring to how the Mega Buster shots look. 🤔

In different games the Mega Buster shot has a different "Look" even though it functions basically the same. Of course in MM4 and MM5 there are functional differences, though post MM7 the Mega Buster shot has been basically standardized (functionally).

I'd like to see the option of more MM Busters to chose from the different MM games. Chosen by map makers next to the other current Mega Buster options... These would be only aesthetic (visual) variants.

Here in MM7 sparks rise off of Mega Man when he has a fully charged buster shot ready.

https://youtu.be/VQI1I7L3BCo?t=274

In MM8 he has streaks of light emanating outward from him with a fully charged buster shot ready.

https://youtu.be/_ZE-BNoDgEs?t=42

In MM11 he has streaks of light drawing inwards toward him when charging and miniature spheres of energy popping around him with a slight halo ascending up his torso when fully charged.

https://youtu.be/1VfWlJmSgk4?t=526

ANNNDDD if the Devs are feeling wild and crazy... Let's introduce the DOUBLE MEGA BUSTER.🤪

https://youtu.be/TteSvWjoD3U?t=3092

https://megaman.fandom.com/wiki/Mega_Buster

Way to balance it? Requires double the time to charge of a regular charge shot, if Mega Man is hit, it resets. Give it a cool down period after using it to prevent spamming of Double Mega Buster.

Visuals are a pinkish flame-like aura around Mega Man when fully charged. Fully charged Double Mega Buster shot is large with electrical bolts circling/trailing off of it. Maybe make the projectile roughly the size of Mega Man or slightly larger?

Bubbykins_ManM3

Post by Bubbykins_ManM3 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:21 am

Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm
He's asking for MM9/10 Mega Man when the Mega Buster is selected from the MM9 and upcoming MM10 menus.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Mega Man's default Blue/Cyan colour palette is different in MM9-MM10, in comparison to MM1-MM6, the person is asking for the ability to be able to use the alternate Mega Man colour palette.

Me personally, I'd love more default colour palettes, such as a greenscale palette to represent Gameboy, and a greyscale palette to represent Gameboy Light.

That said, Proto Man has also gone through various palette changes as well, such as using a noticeably more pink-ish shade of red in MM3, in comparison to later iterations like MM9-MM10 where he is a more standard shade of red.

Edit: I think to make things clearer, a visual example is in order.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Buster
Discord: Buster#2302

Post by Buster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:46 pm

They should add the MM5/6 ladder sprites first instead. As of now they're using the MM1-4 sprites.
A fangame Soon™ to be announced, maybe.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:17 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:38 pm
Mega Man's default Blue/Cyan colour palette is different in MM9-MM10, in comparison to MM1-MM6, the person is asking for the ability to be able to use the alternate Mega Man colour palette.

That said, Proto Man has also gone through various palette changes as well, such as using a noticeably more pink-ish shade of red in MM3, in comparison to later iterations like MM9-MM10 where he is a more standard shade of red.

Edit: I think to make things clearer, a visual example is in order.
Totally support this. Honestly this is something I'd like to be able to do with custom maps I could make, mount custom sprites into it.

I know the server storage space is the main reason not to, but if there was a way to do allow custom pixels (and music) and just not let the server accept mods (to save space) I think it'd be a great feature. I'd be absolutely willing to self-host modded maps.

Purely Aesthetic options would give one more layer of variety. New purely visual variations of 8 bit Mega Man (Proto/Bass) using the same frames/animations and extra visual variants of the Mega Buster shot would just add to the fun of the "Maker" experience.

EDIT:

Some examples of purely visual pixel variety.

This Game Gear version looks good (EDIT: with some pixel corrections to Mega's Helmet that is).

And a 8 bit style of Mega Man Universe would be great..

Thought there was already an 8-bit mock up but I couldn't find one. I may post an example later of what I'm suggesting.
Last edited by Blue_Bummer on Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:42 am

UPDATE:

Here is my visual aid to better explain on the proposed Mega Man Universe alternate skin for MMM. That is if alternate skins for MM are ever introduced....

No idea if this engine supports transparencies for the use of adding a glow effect in pixels. So I did a mockup of one with transparent glow (TOP) and one without transparencies (BOTTOM).. Forgive my sloppiness.

The Blue is standard Mega Man no powers... The red is based on this proposed MM Universe skin if MM2 Atomic Fire is equipped. The highlights colors are a brighter version of the pixel color of the main torso. 8-)

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigDestroyer#4335

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:42 am
No idea if this engine supports transparencies for the use of adding a glow effect in pixels. So I did a mockup of one with transparent glow (TOP) and one without transparencies (BOTTOM).. Forgive my sloppiness.
The engine does support transparent colors, but the actual NES would not. The closest thing to transparent colors is dithering with non-colored segments or clever usage of palletes.
You may warn me about problems in the MMM platforms.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm
Blue_Bummer wrote:
The engine does support transparent colors, but the actual NES would not. The closest thing to transparent colors is dithering with non-colored segments or clever usage of palletes.
Yeah I was referring to the MMM engine, not the original NES software of Mega Man.

I wouldn't mind at all seeing modern type FX at use in MMM. The 8-bit art style could remain intact while still adding such (optional) things as a "Mega Man Universe" theme skin with a glow effect.

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:35 pm

Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:14 pm
Blue_Bummer wrote:
Using the NES capabilities is not currently a valid argument, unfortunately.
Go fight Time Man. Wait until he slows time, and get a screenshot of that effect.
Oh yeah, we got pixels within pixels up in here, breaking the grid, exceeding sprite scaling or pattern cycling limits...
There's simply no way to get this effect on the NES, so if that's fair and valid, then so is anything else.
Those are the facts.

Personally, I do agree with your principals, however.
I think Time Man's graphics should be fixed to be more authentic to the hardware limitations.
Just for the sake of a consistent, cohesive aesthetic, you know?

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:37 am

Zephadus wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:35 pm

Personally, I do agree with your principals (DestroyerOfDestruction), however.
I think Time Man's graphics should be fixed to be more authentic to the hardware limitations.
Just for the sake of a consistent, cohesive aesthetic, you know?
...And I can respect that. Everyone has their own desired vision for MMM going forward. :)

Ultimately MMM will forever be the brainchild of Wrecking and his team and thus that vision is the true one; it doesn't hurt to give a suggestion here and there.

I know this game is intended to look 8-bit in it's art style to respect the roots of Mega Man, and that's part of the reason why I enjoy it so much, but does that require it to limit itself in terms of 8-bit capability? What I'm trying to say is... Is it the intent of MMM to strictly emulate Mega Man 8-bit in every way (mechanically), or simply emulate the art style of 8-bit Mega Man?

I prefer the latter myself with a "sky's the limit" approach on capability.

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:00 pm

Blue_Bummer wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:37 am
I know this game is intended to look 8-bit in it's art style to respect the roots of Mega Man, and that's part of the reason why I enjoy it so much, but does that require it to limit itself in terms of 8-bit capability? What I'm trying to say is... Is it the intent of MMM to strictly emulate Mega Man 8-bit in every way (mechanically), or simply emulate the art style of 8-bit Mega Man?

I prefer the latter myself with a "sky's the limit" approach on capability.
Yeah, the only reason it's weird to me, is that there are so few instances of graphically breaking the mold.
Many games use a pixelly style, but do not adhere to a pixel-perfect grid, such as Terraria and Stardew Valley.
The difference is that those games have a large amount of obvious grid-breaking, such as swinging a weapon/tool, or the swaying of trees.

Traditionally, if a character were to swing a weapon, separate frames would need to be drawn to illustrate that weapon in motion, but the above games just rotate the sprite, and since the "pixels" that make up the sprite are larger than the actual screen pixels, we get what are best described as "twisted" pixels.
Obviously, a graphical format adhering solely to the pixel grid would not do that.
But because it's so common in those games, we just kind of go with it.

Most glaring example of the above, is the line from your fishing rod in Stardew Valley. It's always a single pixel in width, despite the size of the "pixels" that make up everything else.
If Mega Man Maker had these types of animations from the get-go, it wouldn't bother me.
But as it stands, almost everything fits in nicely, except that damn Time Man. lol

Honestly, if the game got the "Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix" treatment, where all the art was re-drawn over the original art to be up-scaled and higher definition, that would be my personal ideal.
As much as I love 8-bit, 2D Mega Man in HD would be so much cooler.
But that would require redrawing EVERYTHING, so that's not likely going to happen, ever, unless some modders figure out how to replace the game's sprites with larger sprites that are appropriately scaled at run-time.
That would be dope.

BenPlusMM
Discord: Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm

how did this thread get so far
all i was suggesting was the muted pallete for the buster from mm9/10
Does this look like the face of mercy to you?
Currently a Level 100 Pun Warrior!
XP to level up: largenumber.doc

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:08 pm

BenPlusMM wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:56 pm
how did this thread get so far
all i was suggesting was the muted pallete for the buster from mm9/10
Oh. So that's what you meant. ;) Thanks for clearing that up.