An Editing Tool Idea

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
sbq92

An Editing Tool Idea

Post by sbq92 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm

I've made a lot of maps in RPGMaker (2003, though later versions are probably similar) and there is a convenient feature that might be useful in MMM, assuming it can be implemented.

RPGMaker has the same 3x3 auto-tiling as MMM, so when placing tiles they normally will connect to each other like the ones in MMM do. However, if you hold Shift while placing it will simply place the center tile. While that itself may not be as useful in MMM, another feature is that if you hold Shift while picking another tile from the map (by right-clicking) then it will copy that exact tile. If you then hold Shift while placing a tile, it will place that exact tile and it won't automatically connect to any other tiles (even it it's from the same tile group and normally would connect).

This feature is great for doing fine detail work on your maps. It would also solve the problem of those corner tiles when you have an empty room.

I do realize one problem would be that center tiles are passable, meaning people could do all kinds of crazy gimmicks with their levels, but there are a couple of options for dealing with this. One, leave it as it is, let people do weird things, or two, make center tiles impassible. There are probably other options, but those are the main two I can think of.
Last edited by sbq92 on Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wood Mania: 210378
SotN Entrance: 208059
Jungle Base Infiltration -Revamped-: 112280
The Metal Conquest: 92368
Ridley V1 -Long-: 89791
Construction V2: 51433

Arevalo

Re: An Editing Tool Idea

Post by Arevalo » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:21 pm

i like that

Shadow444

Post by Shadow444 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:30 pm

I have repeatedly suggested adding the option to manually select a specific part of a certain tileset, so that you can make beautiful levels. For example, choose only ice stones from Blizzard Man without snow and orange tiles, or grass from Top Man without glass, as well as grass from Shade Man without stones and pink tiles, or purple stones from Freeze Man without ice and yellow tiles. Just imagine the scale of the possibilities for the level editor, if you can select a specific part and use it without having to attach it to other parts from the same tileset.
I hope that one day this option will be implemented and added to the game. :|

Zararthur

Post by Zararthur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:50 am

Imma up this because Yes, please
=============
Don't just have an idea... have all of them

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:41 am

sbq92 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:18 pm
I've made a lot of maps in RPGMaker (2003, though later versions are probably similar) and there is a convenient feature that might be useful in MMM, assuming it can be implemented.

RPGMaker has the same 3x3 auto-tiling as MMM, so when placing tiles they normally will connect to each other like the ones in MMM do. However, if you hold Shift while placing it will simply place the center tile. While that itself may not be as useful in MMM, another feature is that if you hold Shift while picking another tile from the map (by right-clicking) then it will copy that exact tile. If you then hold Shift while placing a tile, it will place that exact tile and it won't automatically connect to any other tiles (even it it's from the same tile group and normally would connect).

This feature is great for doing fine detail work on your maps. It would also solve the problem of those corner tiles when you have an empty room.

I do realize one problem would be that center tiles are passable, meaning people could do all kinds of crazy gimmicks with their levels, but there are a couple of options for dealing with this. One, leave it as it is, let people do weird things, or two, make center tiles impassible. There are probably other options, but those are the main two I can think of.
If this idea came through at some point in the future, I'd be so happy.

Building easier levels made me realize how difficult it is to keep a stage "light" yet interesting at the same time. It is a fun challenge projected to the creator rather than to the player. ;)