What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Discuss anything related to Mega Man
Post Reply
User avatar
LJ2007@
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 pm

What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LJ2007@ » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Currently, unfortunately, MegaMan is one of the games with little fame.
Sonic is a game that has the same level of playability and fun as MegaMan, they were even considered the same, even MegaMan is better and I don't know why MegaMan had to be the game that had to drop a lot in its fame. Even in Sonic's case it wasn't like that, (I'm not trying to wish Sonic bad)
I just hope that we, the MegaMan community, can return MegaMan to the position it deserved.

User avatar
LeonardMan
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LeonardMan » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 pm

LJ2007@ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:30 pm
Currently, unfortunately, MegaMan is one of the games with little fame.
Sonic is a game that has the same level of playability and fun as MegaMan, they were even considered the same, even MegaMan is better and I don't know why MegaMan had to be the game that had to drop a lot in its fame. Even in Sonic's case it wasn't like that, (I'm not trying to wish Sonic bad)
I just hope that we, the MegaMan community, can return MegaMan to the position it deserved.
As much as I hate to admit it, Mega Man was never super-popular to begin with. Many other franchises surpassed it in popularity, even back then...

But at least Mega Man is faring better than Sonic has since 2006. Sadly for the blue hedgehog, he's more INfamous than anything in this new century! What is preferable? To be ignored by the world at large? Or to be the industry's laughing stock and be falsely accused of being intentional furry bait?

That being said, ALL franchises face their downfall sooner or later. Right now, Pokemon is getting a bad rap because the 3D games are all scripted movies with little to no participation from the player, negating the player's part in the story by not letting them make any meaningful decisions on how they want to experience the game.

Even MARIO has fallen! The New Super Mario Bros. "series" are all the same game with no changes, and the Paper Mario series ditched all the world-building that made it a success in the first place!

This is because most game developers, despite being the ones who made their games, do not understand exactly WHAT makes their own games awesome...
Mr. Gimmick: 507698
Castle of Illusion:
Part 1: 508177
Part 2: 508180

User avatar
Casual Builder
Posts: 615
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 pm
Location: Russia

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by Casual Builder » Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:40 am

"How can we return Mega Man to its former great fame?"
I'm kinda wondering that myself. :ugeek:
LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 pm
ALL franchises face their downfall sooner or later.
Damn straight. Creators can't do the same stuff efficiently over and over again - eventually, their "masterpiece" dies out from the lack of unique ideas. Classic Mega Man is one of these multimedia franchises that already got into double digits... or past 10 numbered sequels, of course. What would work best in this situation? Pumping out new sequels on the assembly line like before, OR having massive brainstorming sessions and thoughfully deciding how to make things even more interesting?
LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 pm
Mega Man was never super-popular to begin with.
And it's quite amazing that Mega Man still continues to live on for well over 30 years, despite two major hiatuses. Apparently, we love him so much that we dedicated a lot of fangames focusing on him... If said fangames turn out to be better than official titles, some people might get confused and think that this is not how things should work in this world.
LJ2007@ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:30 pm
Currently, unfortunately, MegaMan is one of the games with little fame.
That's debatable. "Little fame" is kinda stretching it, IMHO.
Yeah, a giant medium known as Cinema doesn't have any official Mega Man representations... its soundtracks are never recognizable despite their actual awesomeness... seems like people involved in this sort of business don't give a crap about our Blue Bomber, sadly to say.
LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 pm
What is preferable? To be ignored by the world at large? Or to be the industry's laughing stock?
Seems like "being ignored by the world at large" defined Mega Man throughout all of its history. And there's not much stuff that defines it as "industry's laughing stock", either - I mean, not a lot of memes compared to the media giants such as Star Wars or Marvel Cinematic Universe that are filled to the brim with these, and then some...
It also seems like that Mega Man is kinda like a "mixed bag"... mostly ignored and least laughable.

Back to the question at hand... "How can we return Mega Man to its former great fame?"
We - as in people who care about Mega Man... we influenced the franchise by making our own stuff, we fleshed out his lore in some instances, we brought original ideas that would make Capcom employees' heads spin, we stayed vigilant and awaited Mega Man's official comebacks in cases of MM9 and MM11...
I'd say: we can return our favorite Blue Bomber to his former fame... by continuing what we were doing all these years.
Casual Builder's gotta casual, yo. 8-)

User avatar
LeonardMan
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LeonardMan » Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:13 pm

Casual Builder wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:40 am
Apparently, we love him so much that we dedicated a lot of fangames focusing on him... If said fangames turn out to be better than official titles, some people might get confused and think that this is not how things should work in this world.
How much we love our favorite series is not indicative of how many of us are there. We are (relatively) few hundreds of thousands of people, but that's not a measurement unit for our passion for this gameplay style.

And yes, the fangames are in fact better than the official titles, and that does not go just for Mega Man! Like I said earlier, developers have no idea what makes their games awesome in the first place, but WE PLAYERS do! That's why Sonic Mania is better than anything official from Sonic. We live in a time where we fans know a lot more about game design than professional devs! (the fact we're not aiming our products to be sold to millions of mindless monkeys also helps ;) )
Casual Builder wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:40 am
And there's not much stuff that defines it (Mega Man) as "industry's laughing stock", either
By "laughing stock" I was referring to Sonic, not Mega Man. LJ2007@ was complaining that Mega Man is not as famous as Sonic, but Sonic has NEGATIVE fame! Would you rather be unknown like Mega Man? Or would you rather have a negative reputation like Sonic?
Mr. Gimmick: 507698
Castle of Illusion:
Part 1: 508177
Part 2: 508180

User avatar
LJ2007@
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LJ2007@ » Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:26 pm

We as MegaMan fans cannot allow this.
We must do things like deeper or higher, making MegaMan increase his fame and return to the position he deserves.
We already know that Among Us is the game with the 1st place in fame, and if we are good observers, we see that MegaMan is better, and yet MegaMan is the one that is below in fame. (sadly) and Among Us is very high in fame.
So let's do things deeper or on a higher level to achieve our goal: to bring MegaMan back to his fame, or better yet, to make MegaMan the game with the first place in fame.

User avatar
D-Man
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by D-Man » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:09 pm

A lack of differentiation in sequels, combined with frequent releases is likely what led to Mega Man being less popular as it used to be. The spinoffs such as X and Legends once brought much-needed innovation to the series, but they were short-lived. In addition, Capcom has more profitable series now like Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and DmC (despite Mega Man being the mascot of the company).
Image

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

User avatar
LJ2007@
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LJ2007@ » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm

The core idea of this post is to goad or motivate you to do something to help MegaMan return to his former fame.

User avatar
D-Man
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by D-Man » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:42 pm

LJ2007@ wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:12 pm
The core idea of this post is to goad or motivate you to do something to help MegaMan return to his former fame.
All I can think of is to financially support the Mega Man series by buying games, as well as voicing interest in newer titles.
Although, the Legends 3 debacle most likely caused a rough patch regarding Capcom's interaction with fans.
Image

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

User avatar
LJ2007@
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:43 pm

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LJ2007@ » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:58 am

And what else could they do to help Mega Man?

User avatar
-fuzzle-
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:26 pm
Location: Dr. Wily's mom's basement
Contact:

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by -fuzzle- » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:18 pm
LJ2007@ wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:30 pm
Currently, unfortunately, MegaMan is one of the games with little fame.
Sonic is a game that has the same level of playability and fun as MegaMan, they were even considered the same, even MegaMan is better and I don't know why MegaMan had to be the game that had to drop a lot in its fame. Even in Sonic's case it wasn't like that, (I'm not trying to wish Sonic bad)
I just hope that we, the MegaMan community, can return MegaMan to the position it deserved.
As much as I hate to admit it, Mega Man was never super-popular to begin with. Many other franchises surpassed it in popularity, even back then...

But at least Mega Man is faring better than Sonic has since 2006. Sadly for the blue hedgehog, he's more INfamous than anything in this new century! What is preferable? To be ignored by the world at large? Or to be the industry's laughing stock and be falsely accused of being intentional furry bait?

That being said, ALL franchises face their downfall sooner or later. Right now, Pokemon is getting a bad rap because the 3D games are all scripted movies with little to no participation from the player, negating the player's part in the story by not letting them make any meaningful decisions on how they want to experience the game.

Even MARIO has fallen! The New Super Mario Bros. "series" are all the same game with no changes, and the Paper Mario series ditched all the world-building that made it a success in the first place!

This is because most game developers, despite being the ones who made their games, do not understand exactly WHAT makes their own games awesome...
Bruh, first off, nsmb, nsmb wii, nsmb 2, and nsmb u are not the same fucking game.
sure they fucking rereleased nsmb u, but that doesnt mean the entire series are the same fucking game.
Second off, I feel like the people who hate the newer paper mario games are pretty bias for the old games. The newer ones aren't bad games, they just might not be much of a paper mario game as the originals were.
and yes mega man wasn't a popular series, but look at fucking mega man 2! Its practically and entire other fanbase than the mega man fanbase! Sure, I feel the game is overated, but it's still extremely popular none the less.
Now I can agree on sonics downfall, but there is a lot of division between fans because of stupid gameplay elements that are different than the other games. But the biggest point I want to make with this fucking rant is the fanbase itself. Look at the rom hacking seen for mario games. Look at the huge amount of classic mega man fangames. There are even some really good sonic fangames, though there mostly 2d. If a series does really die, then give it to the fans to continue it.

This has been a shitty rant by fuzzle
Fan Game Devs Needed for mw6
Pm Me for application

User avatar
LeonardMan
Posts: 1904
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by LeonardMan » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:44 am

-fuzzle- wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:37 pm
If a series does really die, then give it to the fans to continue it.
Hmmm, you've got a really fucking solid point there.
Mr. Gimmick: 507698
Castle of Illusion:
Part 1: 508177
Part 2: 508180

User avatar
Royalguard
Posts: 4081
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: What can we do and how can we return MegaMan to its former great fame?

Post by Royalguard » Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:32 pm

Mega Man's main problem in the past was that games lacked evolution, and they where pushing out games too fast.

Sure, if its not broken, don't fix it, but at the same time, lack of evolution leads to stagnation eventually. Lot of older gaming IPs are starting to run into this situation now, especially Pokemon being a good example.

People got tired of Mega Man during the period when their games where flooding the market (roughly 2000 - 2010). They where coming out so fast, and their quality levels started becoming inconsistent. It eventually lead to various spin-offs either ending or stopping with no definitive conclusion due to sales dropping, and the hiatus (that eventually lead to the MN9 situation). It caused series fatigue for Mega Man fans, and intimidation and avoidance for people who where new to Mega Man.

Slowing down on the release schedule for Mega Man games to get more time for polish so that the fans get higher quality games, and releasing games farther apart so potential new customers don't get overwhelmed, would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests