What would make Mega Man 11 worth the $30 it costs?

Discuss anything related to Mega Man
ehangeto4

What would make Mega Man 11 worth the $30 it costs?

Post by ehangeto4 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:33 am

I just finished Mega Man 11, and while I enjoyed playing it, I sure as hell wouldn't shell out 30 bucks for a 4 hour game again. It's clear that Capcom upped the production value a little with the graphics and adding in voice acting, but even those seemed like a PS2-era game (and that might be generous). I could see paying $20 for what you get in Mega Man 11, but not 30.

So if Capcom were to stay away from the retro style of 9 and 10 and make an actual modern Mega Man game (with a modern price tag), what, in your opinion, could they do to make it worth it?
Last edited by DestroyerOfDestruction on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam signature

D-Man

Re: What would make Mega Man 11 worth the $30 it costs?

Post by D-Man » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am

First of all I wouldn't pay full price for it. Capcom sales happen rather often, and I waited for a while until I was able to spend $15 on it.

To make a single Mega Man game worth the full $30, they could add more meaningful features to the game, or refine older concepts. Things such as the four extra stages in MM3-MM6, collectable objects for optional unlocks, or more playable characters (as well as stages that take advantage of their abilities better). Seeing as how MM games are built on the nonlinear stage select format, there could also be events that trigger based on which stages are beaten (think similar to the stage variations in the X series). That way, people would have more of an incentive to play outside the weakness order.

tl;dr, they can take a Smash Ultimate approach to the next Mega Man game.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:35 pm

D-Man wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am
Things such as the four extra stages in MM3-MM6
Make it two or three extra stages instead. Like having two castles but having each be 3 stages long instead of 4. MM3-6 feel like they drag for a little too long after the 8 Robot Master stages.

MM11's Wily Castle could have been saved by just adding 1 more full stage after the Mawverne but before the boss rush.
Mr. Gimmick: 507698
Castle of Illusion:
Part 1: 508177
Part 2: 508180

ZepperFang

Post by ZepperFang » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 pm

Before you read my thoughts, be clear that it's criticism - I'm NOT complaining. The Mega Man saga is my passion, my reason to buy a new system, for example. Plus, yes, I love the NES versions because I grew up playing them in order of release. I like MM9 and 10, and I don't like MM7 and 8 in the present days.

- Not so iconic as MM9 and 10 were in the time of release.
- Mega Man music should be ROCK, and NOT techno style!
- Graphics are OK (no need of another NES-gfx style), but the main char animations could have been more reliable with the old classic.
- More replay value. Currently, I beat the game just once... and I tried to play it again. No, it hasn't the same replay value of MM9 and 10, or any other NES classic. Too bad.
- The new engine has a couple of changes that got broken a few classic rules... like jumping through boss doors. ^_^;; Sliding is horrible too, and jump heigh seems... higher than usual.

AnimeMan

Post by AnimeMan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 pm

Well I don't see the problem with this game being short. All Mega Man games are.
It's me, NS*Smilax. I've been a Mega Man fan since the Nintendo days. You can check out my levels on Webmeka.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm

* More playable characters.
* Intro stage.
* Second fortress (or equivalent) with another 4 stages.
* Purchasable downgrades in the shop to make the game harder for the player (double charge time, double weapon cost, disable charge shots, disable slide, disable gears, higher knockback, double damage, quadruple damage, 1 hit death, ect.)
* Choice of alternate soundtrack in the 8-bit NES/FC style.
* Have "Test Room" accessible from stage select menu, not only accessible when obtaining new weapons.
* Boss Rush Mode (including mini-bosses, robot masters, fortress bosses, and Wily.)
* Randomizer functionality.

Messianic

Post by Messianic » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:53 pm

For me it would take an intro stage, a midway through the robot masters stage, and at least one more full Wily Castle stage.

The main game was good but the castle was half-assed.

Also a better hard mode where the robot masters use more interesting moves.

Also tweaking the game so jump height is lower and things move far after, it’s not as tight as the NES style games like it needs to be.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:38 pm

D-Man wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:59 am
tl;dr, they can take a Smash Ultimate approach to the next Mega Man game.
You probably meant same engine, otherwise new game type deal, but I can't help but picture a game with all 88(+ more counting non-numbered titles) Robot Masters, weapons, and such.
ZepperFang wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:45 pm
- Mega Man music should be ROCK, and NOT techno style!
It's weird how the 3D Mega Man titles tend to reach for synths as their main instruments rather than sticking to rock influences. I guess it's to give the setting a technological feel but It kind of seems unnecessary.

I don't hate Mega Man 11's EDM, but the main synth it uses sounds incredibly generic to me, which is probably why my favorites have sections where other instruments add to it (like the beginning of Tundra Man's stage) and my #1 favorite of the bunch is Acid Man's theme, which uses it the least (on top of being perfect for the stage's feel).

As far as what features I'd like to see in future Mega Man (classic) titles, I'd like to see:
  • Playable Proto Man & Bass again.
  • A more meaty/satisfying fortress.
  • Improve Mega Man's animations.
  • Fix sliding. Stopping at the end of each slide feels bad.
  • A unique track for each level rather than a generic castle theme.
  • I love how rushjet1 handles the boss rush music, and would love for the official OSTs to adopt either the epic, unchanging boss rush showdown style (like he did for Mega Man 4), or the personalized boss theme style (like he did for Mega Man 3). Perhaps they could even do both.

Brazencoronet17
Discord: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sun May 02, 2021 4:23 am

I agree, Mega Man 11's a great game, but it is a little expensive and short on content. And this is just me personally, but the extra challenges weren't all that appealing though they made up a big part of the replayability.

I might have to play it again to give a more in depth take on this though, since I haven't played the game in quite a while.

Also, it'd be nice if they were a little more ambitious with the title as well. Double gear is a really cool mechanic, but the game doesn't have Mega Man 10's extra playable characters or the extra stages (Enker/Punk/Ballade), which would be pretty interesting to see in the game.
i'm inactive but i still check the forums sometimes, mostly playing fighting games now

Gravitrax64
Discord: Gravitrax64

Post by Gravitrax64 » Sun May 02, 2021 9:04 pm

I spent $19 on my copy of MM11
I am Gravitrax64! Deviantartist and comic creator of the MMM Comic series staring several members of the forums! Watch me on Deviantart to follow along with the stories!
https://www.deviantart.com/gravitrax64

Zephadus

Post by Zephadus » Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 am

You guys are buying Mega Man 11 for $30?
[cries in CAD]

Honestly, I think the game was worth the price.
Consider the fact that NES games used to cost anywhere from $10-$50 USD.
With inflation, that's anywhere between $20-$100 USD.
This trend seems to follow, with bargain bin titles selling for about $20 USD, and your average current-gen AAA title going for about $80-$100 USD (depending on edition).

So is Mega Man 11 worth just above the price of bargain bin titles?
Is Mega Man 11 itself a bargain bin shovelware title?
I would argue that it is worth $30 at the very least.
Mega Man 2 was probably at least a $20 game (although I have no data to support that claim).
With inflation, that's about $33, and Mega Man 11 has at least as much content as Mega Man 2 does, plus challenges, time trials, online leaderboards, achievements, and so on.

Personally, I think Mega Man 11 was awesome, and it's even better if you don't use the (stupid) double-gear shenanigans.
I appreciate that the game is totally beatable without ever using those.

Daibuman

Post by Daibuman » Mon May 17, 2021 2:11 pm

Obviously its worth the price, specially considering how low 30 dollars is. Be glad that at least you're not in a place that the game costs from 160-440 bucks like me.
Working on a level pack.

--------------------------------

--------------------------------
Progress: 65%

Fan game logo made by Lozof
Artwork made by Garden Man

Pyro Viper

Post by Pyro Viper » Fri May 21, 2021 10:28 am

I liked Mega Man 11 a lot, although I do agree that the fortress seemed like an afterthought, and Bass and Proto Man should have been there.