MM3

Discuss anything related to Mega Man
LightDaemon
Discord: https://discord.gg/awSYrU

MM3

Post by LightDaemon » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:38 am

So I almost finished MM3.

It was good. Better than MM1&MM2. I liked most platforming sections and the combat was less lack-luster than in the previous titles, mostly due to the sliding that helps a lot getting a good flow.

However the difficulty curve is flawed since the intermediate stages are harder than the Wily Stages. That's a pitty since most gimmicks were interesting in these stages, but there's a lack of checkpoints and the bosses were terrible.

The Wily stages were easy. Too easy. Except the boss where you have to find which mega-man is the bad one, which was a HUGE MESS.

Bean man

Re: MM3

Post by Bean man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 am

I find MM3 overrated. Music holds up to 2 but the weapons were only slightly better (1 can't even compare). The level layout was downright awful, Rush jet was broken, Rush marine was useless along with most weapons, the fact that the Doc-robot stages exist, all the bosses were too easy except for Needle and Shadow man where the latter of which is programmed poorly, mediocre Wily bosses (only topped by 2), and the final boss is a joke. Besides, progressing through the game isn't nearly as fun as most the others, it doesn't have as much charm. I think people flock to 3's music and ability to slide as the good part of it, haven't really heard much else about it than that. I normally use the game as a playground to try and find uses out of the weapons, without much else, then quit at the Doc-robot sections. Sliding was a good part of it, but I never used it on anything other than bosses and to quickly get through the long, boring levels of 3.

Also, why no intro!? That title screen has one of the greatest 8-bit pieces ever created and they didn't bother to do anything with it. 1 and 3 are the only ones without an intro too, meaning they must've got lazy at the point of 3, unless I missed something.
Scloof? Schoof? Scoofle? What the hell is a scloof? Is this a corporation? What an idiot.

Hacked by Flashman..!

This post was made by the Pronto man gang

Megamanvwxyz

Post by Megamanvwxyz » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Bean man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 am
I find MM3 overrated. the fact that the Doc-robot stages exist, all the bosses were too easy except for Needle and Shadow man where the latter of which is programmed poorly, mediocre Wily bosses (only topped by 2)

Also, why no intro!? 1 and 3 are the only ones without an intro too, meaning they must've got lazy at the point of 3, unless I missed something.
I've heard they ran out of time for 3 and 5, the Doc-robot stages we're supposed to be another fortress like Dr. Cossack in 4, Proto (Dark) Man in 5 and Mr. X in 6, this could be why there's no intro in 3, they could have had plans for an intro but ran out of time, in 5 the RM weaknesses are supposedly messed up because they ran out of time, apparently it's better to just use the buster in 5 because it does more damage than the other weapons.

Yoshi2018
Discord: https://discord.gg/JUKxsC7

Post by Yoshi2018 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Bean man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:54 am
I find MM3 criminally overrated. The level layout was downright awful, Rush jet was broken, Rush marine was useless along with most weapons, the fact that the Doc-robot stages exist, all the bosses were too easy except for Needle and Shadow man where the latter of which is programmed poorly, mediocre Wily bosses (only topped by 2), and the final boss is a joke. Besides, progressing through the game isn't nearly as fun as most the others, it doesn't have as much charm. I think people flock to 3's music and ability to slide as the good part of it, haven't really heard much else about it than that. Sliding was a good part of it, but I never used it on anything other than bosses and to quickly get through the long, boring levels of 3.

Also, why no intro!? That title screen has one of the greatest 8-bit pieces ever created and they didn't bother to do anything with it. 1 and 3 are the only ones without an intro too, meaning they must've got lazy at the point of 3, unless I missed something.
Edited to what I think.

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm

Unpopular Opinion:
I think Shadow Man is one of the most fun, satisfying, and well designed bosses in the entire Mega Man series.

Bean man

Post by Bean man » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm
Unpopular Opinion:
I think Shadow Man is one of the most fun, satisfying, and well designed bosses in the entire Mega Man series.
.................................................................................................................................................................................................

NO

I bet you sure do enjoy heavily based RNG boss fights.

Nothing about that fight was designed well, the way one action leads to another is just punishing in the sense that you hope he does one thing over the rest, it definitely isn't satisfying. He can easily corner you and you just have to pray that you do the right thing but there's no time to when he's 10 pixels from your face and starts to slide. There's a reason that opinion is unpopular; he was a terrible boss.

In all honesty, fighting him felt like a race to see who could shove a pin down their urethra the fastest.
Scloof? Schoof? Scoofle? What the hell is a scloof? Is this a corporation? What an idiot.

Hacked by Flashman..!

This post was made by the Pronto man gang

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am

Bean man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:40 pm
Royalguard wrote:
Unpopular Opinion:
.................................................................................................................................................................................................

NO

Nothing about that fight was designed well, the way one action leads to another is just punishing in the sense that you hope he does one thing over the rest, it definitely isn't satisfying. He can easily corner you and you just have to pray that you do the right thing but there's no time to when he's 10 pixels from your face and starts to slide. There's a reason that opinion is unpopular; he was a terrible boss.

In all honesty, fighting him felt like a race to see who could shove a pin down their urethra the fastest.
Even with his RNG jump heights, and RNG choice between two attacks, Shadow Man is extremely predictable if you don't panic.

His AI pattern is VERY simple.
Pattern A: Random Height Jump, Random Height Jump, Attack or Slide, Switch to Pattern B.
Pattern B: Random Height Jump, Random Height Jump, Random Height Jump, Attack or Slide, Repeat Pattern B.

When Shadow Man is close to a wall of the arena when he is about to pick an attack at random, you want to be roughly one tile away from the opposite wall, to get optimal reaction time to either attack.

If Shadow Man is going to start his three jump pattern too close to the center of the arena, get in close to Shadow Man while hes jumping and get to the other side of the arena, preferably during his first or second jump.

Shadow Man is honestly not as hard as everyone makes him out to be, I can regularly beat him with just the buster, and I've even beat him without taking any damage before.

Nickelasse

Post by Nickelasse » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:43 am

Royalguard wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:34 am
Bean man wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:40 pm
Royalguard wrote:
Unpopular Opinion:

NO

Even with his RNG jump heights, and RNG choice between two attacks, Shadow Man is extremely predictable if you don't panic.

His AI pattern is VERY simple.
Pattern A: Random Height Jump, Random Height Jump, Attack or Slide, Switch to Pattern B.
Pattern B: Random Height Jump, Random Height Jump, Random Height Jump, Attack or Slide, Repeat Pattern B.

When Shadow Man is close to a wall of the arena when he is about to pick an attack at random, you want to be roughly one tile away from the opposite wall, to get optimal reaction time to either attack.

If Shadow Man is going to start his three jump pattern too close to the center of the arena, get in close to Shadow Man while hes jumping and get to the other side of the arena, preferably during his first or second jump.

Shadow Man is honestly not as hard as everyone makes him out to be, I can regularly beat him with just the buster, and I've even beat him without taking any damage before.
I will say that shadowman definitely is one of the scarier boss fights of mega man 3, but when you learn more about him you realize he's not all that bad. Whether he slides or throw his shuriken at you, just keep calm and be ready to jump.
  • If you're about to get cornered you've got to be ready to slide under him during his jumping pattern and get out quickly since it gets harder to dodge his attacks when he's up close.
  • Try and keep a long distance between you and him at all times, if he slides across the entire room you just jump over him and now he's in a bad position since he slid himself into the corner.
Edit:
  • Oh, and always count shadow man's jumps. If you keep counting them it gets a lot easier to anticipate when he's about to attack. He always throws the stars or slides after he lands from the third jump.
I don't think I've ever managed to beat him no-damage like royalguard, but I can do it taking only a few hits at the very least. ;)

Building easier levels made me realize how difficult it is to keep a stage "light" yet interesting at the same time. It is a fun challenge projected to the creator rather than to the player. ;)

NashRush

Post by NashRush » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:18 pm

mate i still have to finish MM1 i don't know why but i fell like MM2 is going to be a bit easier
AM GOING TO MAKE PAPER DOLLS OUT OF...paper. i guess?
i dunno anymore
and i know have my own corporation it called "THRASH AND CRASH !1!"
um... hi am Crash man

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 pm

May as well throw in my two cents.

Level design: Better than MM1 and 2, but that's not a compliment when MM1 has that bullshit Foot Holder section in Ice Man's stage, and MM2 has Quick Man and Heat Man's stages. The 8 Robot Master stages are fine, but they got too carried away with the Doc Robot Needle Man stage, fuck that level. As others have already pointed out, the Wily Castle levels are so easy because the game is actually unfinished, but the way the boss rush level is handled is better than in MM2, because it introduced the tradition of having a brief stage to get back some weapon energy before fighting the bosses again. That's what MM2 should have had for a 4th Wily stage instead of the Boobeam Trap.

Bosses: Minor complaint in that MM3 has the least amount of element-themed bosses in the entire main classic series, lacking both a fire Robot Master and a Water/Ice one (and no, Gemini Man is a mirror, not made of ice). On the other hand, the difficulty on these bosses is less bullshit than in MM1 and 2, and you don't necessarily HAVE to start with Top Man or Snake Man to even stand a chance. I still find Needle Man and especially Shadow Man too hard, but at least neither of them takes away one third of your health bar in one shot. The Doc Robots for Quick Man and Wood Man are bullshit, though. Fuck them.

Weapons: MM1 had half of the weapons good, and half bad. MM2 had 2 good weapons (one of them TOO good) and the other 6 were either too situational or outright useless. MM3 has only ONE useless weapon (Spark Shock) although Top Spin needed a more intuitive design. The rest of the weapons are all good, Search Snake and Gemini Laser can be surprisingly useful once you know which enemies to use them against (Search Snake for Peterchy, Komasaburo and Tama, Gemini Laser for Pickelman Bull, Hari Harry and the Giant Springer)

Of course, MM4 just surpasses MM3 in every aspect, but that doesn't take away the fact MM3 is still an improvement over the previous two.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm

I'm, not on the good side for those who defend MM3: It's more overrated than SMB3. (Both have 3.)

It's glitchy, some stages are too easy, others too difficult, boss fights become tedious because all bosses except Top and Magnet Man have 28 HP, weapon layout is almost useless, Enemies are overused throughoout a stage, RM stages and hard, Wily is too easy, no intro despite having an influential story, debug stuff is fun for like 5 minutes, stages are too short, just Doc Robots, some of the bosses are overwhelming, others are underwhelming, very unbalanced, extreme lag, poorly paced...

Not as bad as 4, however.
Have you met my binary program, ones 'n' zeroes?

Yoshi2018
Discord: https://discord.gg/JUKxsC7

Post by Yoshi2018 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:58 pm

Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:58 pm
I'm, not on the good side for those who defend MM3: It's more overrated than SMB3. (Both have 3.)

It's glitchy, some stages are too easy, others too difficult, boss fights become tedious because all bosses except Top and Magnet Man have 28 HP, weapon layout is almost useless, Enemies are overused through out a stage, RM stages and hard, Wily is too easy, no intro despite having an influential story, debug stuff is fun for like 5 minutes, stages are too short, just Doc Robots, some of the bosses are overwhelming, others are underwhelming, very unbalanced, extreme lag, poorly paced...
I agree with everything than the comment about Mega Man 4.