What is the best NES MM?

Discuss anything related to Mega Man

What is the best NES MM?

MM1
0
No votes
MM2
1
3%
MM3
4
13%
MM4
15
47%
MM5
2
6%
MM6
10
31%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
LightDaemon
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

What is the best NES MM?

Post by LightDaemon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:23 am

Answer please, I am interested.
This account has been hacked by Wood Man - Kossaku

User avatar
Royalguard
Posts: 3079
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by Royalguard » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 am

Hard to say, all of them have their own major flaws, some of them being:

MM1 is too glitchy and limited in content.
MM2 has some of the worst level and boss designs.
MM3 has Doc Robot stages that are too hard, and Wily Castle stages that is too easy, due to rushed development.
MM4 is slow and not well balanced around the major gameplay changes that comes from the Charge Shot.
MM5 is pretty bland and so easy to the point of being pathetic.
MM6 has lot of the same problems as MM5, now with botched jump-cancelling of slide, and overuse of Adaptors.

By order of elimination, based on how severe I think each of the 6 games' problems are, I'd say that MM3 and MM4 are pretty close to being about on par with each other on being the best designed of the 6 on NES.

MM3 and MM4 was when the series finally started learning from their mistakes from MM1 and MM2, but before the series started reaching its burnout period with MM5 and MM6.

I must say that I prefer MM3's robot master level designs and base robot master boss fights, over the robot master level designs and base robot master boss fights in MM4, but I prefer MM4's fortresses, over MM3's fortress and Doc Robot stages.
Royalguard wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:11 pm
Unpopular Opinion:
I think Shadow Man is one of the most fun, satisfying, and well designed bosses in the entire Mega Man series.

User avatar
Bean man
Posts: 2255
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:49 pm
Location: Bean farm
Discord: Bean man#9687

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by Bean man » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:32 am

Royalguard wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:11 am
By order of elimination, based on how severe I think each of the 6 games' problems are, I'd say that MM3 and MM4 are pretty close to being about on par with each other on being the best designed of the 6 on NES.
How dare you compare 4 to 3.
3 is overrated don't @me

Anyways, I'd say 4 is probably my favorite. It has intriguing gameplay, good level design and is generally fun overall. It's challenging in a good way (most the time... Ring man...) and feels very rewarding to complete a stage. It introduced Cossack (obviously the best MM character), plus its weapon roster is up there with 9 and 11. Its OST also really rocks! It's a memorable experience at the very least.

At least in my opinion. I tend to rank games higher the more fun I had with them, and with how versatile you can be with all the weapons throughout stages it definitely helps increase that fun factor.
6 is also overrated, again, don't @me
Image

WOOHOO FLAME SWORD FOR 1.5

User avatar
LightDaemon
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LightDaemon » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:54 am

MM1 : Good old arcade feelings but ackwards most of the time
MM2 : Badly designed and shamefully overrated.
MM3 : Very good as far as the gameplay and level designed is concerned. Doc robots are not that bad, the only annoying thing being MM2 bosses that were introduced by no other than Keiji Inafune (the asshole who made Mighty no. 9). Overall it's unbalanced.
MM4 : The best.
MM5 : Fun but easy
MM6 : Slightly harder, crappy controls
This account has been hacked by Wood Man - Kossaku

User avatar
Brazencoronet17
Posts: 1969
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 pm
Location: T H A T ' S N E E D T O K N O W I N F O R M A T I O N .
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:57 pm

MM2 is the best in gameplay imo but MM6 Is a very close second. The graphics and visuals are amazing for what had became an inferior console and the gameplay is a huge improvement from 5.
Do not listen to the other Brazencoronet17/18s. They are fake accounts that represents somebody who is not incredibly masculine and sexy.

LeonardMan
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LeonardMan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:29 pm

Even though I got the nostalgia for MM6, I had to vote MM4.

MM4 has better weapons, and has not overdone the plot twist to death by that point. So I can say MM4 is the slightly better of the two.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

User avatar
LightDaemon
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LightDaemon » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:02 am

MM6 has great level design but crappy controls. I had to play without sliding and without charge shoting in order no to lead myself to cheap deaths. Still haven't beaten the game...
This account has been hacked by Wood Man - Kossaku

RushJet1
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by RushJet1 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 am

I've always liked three the best. I don't know what problems people are having with six's controls, I never seem to have any problem with them.

I agree with what was said earlier that 3's fortress levels are too easy. If you had Mega Man 3 and you added Mega Man 4's fortress levels to it, that would be a great game.

Music-wise, 3, 2, 6, 4, 5/1. 4 would be higher than 6, but it has several tracks I outright don't like. 5's music is competently composed and inoffensive but unmemorable.

User avatar
LightDaemon
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LightDaemon » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:49 am

RushJet1 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:10 am
I've always liked three the best. I don't know what problems people are having with six's controls, I never seem to have any problem with them.

I agree with what was said earlier that 3's fortress levels are too easy. If you had Mega Man 3 and you added Mega Man 4's fortress levels to it, that would be a great game.

Music-wise, 3, 2, 6, 4, 5/1. 4 would be higher than 6, but it has several tracks I outright don't like. 5's music is competently composed and inoffensive but unmemorable.
MM5's music is very good imo.

Most of the tracks were composed by none other than Mari Yamaguchi, one of the best Capcom's composers back in the days. She also worked on the incredible Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, whose soundtrack can't be denied.

As far as MM6 is concerned controls are awful. I don't understand people defending this game. It's badly designed and boring. Some enemy placement and gimmicks introduction are obnoxious. Take plant man's stage or wind man's stage. Or knight man's stage. God I hate this game.
This account has been hacked by Wood Man - Kossaku

User avatar
DAS
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm
Location: Distant Land
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by DAS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:57 pm

It depends on what you want.

Mega Man 5 is arguably the most balanced

Mega Man 4 has the best music

Mega Man 6 is the most unique

Mega Man 3 has the most content, kind of.

Mega Man 2 has ....?

Mega Man 1 is the most iconic, to me at least, since it was the first one I played.

I still stand by saying that Mega Man 7 is the best, but out of the NES titles, MM4 is my pick.
Who am I?

Collapse
Slick new badge yo.
Image
PM me if you'd like to join Collapse and get a badge for your signature.

Sweet Home Alberta... no?

Done And Said

User avatar
DAS
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm
Location: Distant Land
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by DAS » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 pm

As for the controls of MM6, they are a bit different and more similar to the Gameboy games. I do understand why people don't like it. When the first game of the series has nearly perfect controls, any sort of change would feel like a downgrade, but playing with a standard NES controller or even the NES classic controller plugged into a Wii remote on Virtual Console, I seem to have no problems.
Who am I?

Collapse
Slick new badge yo.
Image
PM me if you'd like to join Collapse and get a badge for your signature.

Sweet Home Alberta... no?

Done And Said

User avatar
Koopciel
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:17 pm
Location: Mushroom City

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by Koopciel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 pm

I've always liked MM6, so there's that. I didn't really notice much of a difference in the controls compared to others.
Am Paratroopa, am good.

New Collapse Executive. Am friends with Das.
Image

-Mitch "Koopciel" Tracielle

DestroyerOfDestruction
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 am
Location: Colombia
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 am

I would say that the worst one is ''Mega Man 2''. While the level design is not completely irredeemable, is weak, full of wasted potential, and hard for its own sake. The weapons system is hands down the worst weapon system of all the classic series; not few weapons either are useless or have too big drawbacks to be viable. It is not a bad game, but the best Mega Man game it is not.

LeonardMan
Posts: 1008
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:55 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LeonardMan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Koopciel wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:51 pm
I didn't really notice much of a difference in the controls compared to others.
I agree. The way I see it, they all have the exact same controls.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

User avatar
DAS
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:40 pm
Location: Distant Land
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by DAS » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm

DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:06 am
I would say that the worst one is ''Mega Man 2''. While the level design is not completely irredeemable, is weak, full of wasted potential, and hard for its own sake. The weapons system is hands down the worst weapon system of all the classic series; not few weapons either are useless or have too big drawbacks to be viable. It is not a bad game, but the best Mega Man game it is not.
It is the worst one of the classic series, but the difficulty is a bit different than you may think. There are many sections that are really unfairly difficult requiring memorization and trial and error, and that is pretty bad game design to require a player to beat something you didn't prepare them for, but there are other parts that are painfully easy, and all they do to make them seem hard is just make it really drawn out.

Yes, Mega Man 2 is a bad Mega Man game, but I'd still argue that X7, Legends, and the DOS games are worse, because at least Mega Man 2 controls good.
Who am I?

Collapse
Slick new badge yo.
Image
PM me if you'd like to join Collapse and get a badge for your signature.

Sweet Home Alberta... no?

Done And Said

User avatar
RetroGamerAaron
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by RetroGamerAaron » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm

I have to say, I'm very surprised to see Mega Man 2 being called out on its flaws here. The game just always seems to be universally praised by everyone and considered to be the best in the series. I think that mostly has to do with nostalgia and the fact that Mega Man 2 seems to be the first Mega Man game that most people played back in the day. Mega Man 2 has some poor level design (especially the Wily levels), and the Metal Blade weapon pretty much breaks the game. I guess I'm a hypocrite though...as Mega Man 3 is my personal favorite, and that's probably due to my own nostalgia and the fact that it was the first Mega Man game I played. From an objective standpoint though...I would say Mega Man 4 is the best one (although the final Wily boss in that game is ridiculous). Mega Man 2 and 3 do have the best soundtracks...but all the NES MM games have really good soundtracks. I think Mega Man 5 gets a lot of flack it doesn't deserve. It always seems like it's considered to be the worst of the NES games, and some even go as far as to call it a "bad" Mega Man game. It is on the easy side...but the stages were really fun and had some neat gimmicks (anti gravity, the jet ski, the train, low gravity in space, etc).

User avatar
LightDaemon
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LightDaemon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am

Those calling MM5 "bad" are just stupid elitists "hardcore" gamers who know nothing about level design...

People blame MM5 because it's not hard enough, and when they come across something a bit hard they claim : "bad enemy placement" or "poorly designed" how hypocrite..
This account has been hacked by Wood Man - Kossaku

User avatar
Yoshi2018
Posts: 3719
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:54 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by Yoshi2018 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 am

RetroGamerAaron wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm
I have to say, I'm very surprised to see Mega Man 2 being called out on its flaws here. The game just always seems to be universally praised by everyone and considered to be the best in the series. I think that mostly has to do with nostalgia and the fact that Mega Man 2 seems to be the first Mega Man game that most people played back in the day. Mega Man 2 has some poor level design (especially the Wily levels), and the Metal Blade weapon pretty much breaks the game. I guess I'm a hypocrite though...as Mega Man 3 is my personal favorite, and that's probably due to my own nostalgia and the fact that it was the first Mega Man game I played. From an objective standpoint though...I would say Mega Man 4 is the best one (although the final Wily boss in that game is ridiculous). Mega Man 2 and 3 do have the best soundtracks...but all the NES MM games have really good soundtracks. I think Mega Man 5 gets a lot of flack it doesn't deserve. It always seems like it's considered to be the worst of the NES games, and some even go as far as to call it a "bad" Mega Man game. It is on the easy side...but the stages were really fun and had some neat gimmicks (anti gravity, the jet ski, the train, low gravity in space, etc).
Mega Man 2 went from overloved to overhated.
LightDaemon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am
Those calling MM5 "bad" are just stupid elitists "hardcore" gamers who know nothing about level design...

People blame MM5 because it's not hard enough, and when they come across something a bit hard they claim : "bad enemy placement" or "poorly designed" how hypocrite..
The issue lies more with the weapons doing 1 damage, the surplus of E Tanks, the Beat oriented weakness table, and the overpowered charge shot.
Bernie Sanders's account.

Image

User avatar
LightDaemon
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by LightDaemon » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 am

Yoshi2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 am
RetroGamerAaron wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm
I have to say, I'm very surprised to see Mega Man 2 being called out on its flaws here. The game just always seems to be universally praised by everyone and considered to be the best in the series. I think that mostly has to do with nostalgia and the fact that Mega Man 2 seems to be the first Mega Man game that most people played back in the day. Mega Man 2 has some poor level design (especially the Wily levels), and the Metal Blade weapon pretty much breaks the game. I guess I'm a hypocrite though...as Mega Man 3 is my personal favorite, and that's probably due to my own nostalgia and the fact that it was the first Mega Man game I played. From an objective standpoint though...I would say Mega Man 4 is the best one (although the final Wily boss in that game is ridiculous). Mega Man 2 and 3 do have the best soundtracks...but all the NES MM games have really good soundtracks. I think Mega Man 5 gets a lot of flack it doesn't deserve. It always seems like it's considered to be the worst of the NES games, and some even go as far as to call it a "bad" Mega Man game. It is on the easy side...but the stages were really fun and had some neat gimmicks (anti gravity, the jet ski, the train, low gravity in space, etc).
Mega Man 2 went from overloved to overhated.
LightDaemon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am
Those calling MM5 "bad" are just stupid elitists "hardcore" gamers who know nothing about level design...

People blame MM5 because it's not hard enough, and when they come across something a bit hard they claim : "bad enemy placement" or "poorly designed" how hypocrite..
The issue lies more with the weapons doing 1 damage, the surplus of E Tanks, the Beat oriented weakness table, and the overpowered charge shot.
There's a surplus of E Tanks in MM2 and MM4 as well.

As for the charge short being overpowered, how is that a big issue? The game is buster only oriented, as most of the NES titles.
This account has been hacked by Wood Man - Kossaku

User avatar
Yoshi2018
Posts: 3719
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:54 pm
Contact:

Re: What is the best NES MM?

Post by Yoshi2018 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:21 am

LightDaemon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 am
There's a surplus of E Tanks in MM2 and MM4 as well.
In Mega Man 2, you can only carry 4 E Tanks, that alone makes that game harder. In Mega Man 4, the bosses were much stronger than other titles. In Mega Man 5, the bosses usually are not too difficult, and I was able to damage boost with special weapons through the Dark Men. The strategy against Big Pets feels like a more annoying version of the strategy against the Dark Men. Circling Q9 is pretty difficult. Wily Press is considered so easy, in most ROM hacks, he does 28 damage and STILL is considered easy. Wily Machine 5 can be a little difficult, but compared to Mega Man 1 and 2, this seems underwhelming. Wily Capsule is pretty simple, even without Beat.

The robot masters aren't hard in this game. Stone Man is Toad Man without the exploit. Charge Man is unpredictable sometimes, but playing your distance makes it that the Mega Buster is actually considered more useful then Power Stone in that fight by some. With Wave Man, just jump away at the right times and it isn't that bad. Star Man feels like a Bubble Man without the exploit. Gravity Man is often times considered one of the easiest bosses in the series. So is Gyro Man. Crystal Man, yeah he was actually difficult enough, the lag made the battle easier. Napalm Man is very easy to react to, and getting cornered is not as big of an issue as usual.

Don't forget that the game hands out a decent number of lives too.
LightDaemon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:59 am
Yoshi2018 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:47 am
RetroGamerAaron wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:49 pm
I have to say, I'm very surprised to see Mega Man 2 being called out on its flaws here. The game just always seems to be universally praised by everyone and considered to be the best in the series. I think that mostly has to do with nostalgia and the fact that Mega Man 2 seems to be the first Mega Man game that most people played back in the day. Mega Man 2 has some poor level design (especially the Wily levels), and the Metal Blade weapon pretty much breaks the game. I guess I'm a hypocrite though...as Mega Man 3 is my personal favorite, and that's probably due to my own nostalgia and the fact that it was the first Mega Man game I played. From an objective standpoint though...I would say Mega Man 4 is the best one (although the final Wily boss in that game is ridiculous). Mega Man 2 and 3 do have the best soundtracks...but all the NES MM games have really good soundtracks. I think Mega Man 5 gets a lot of flack it doesn't deserve. It always seems like it's considered to be the worst of the NES games, and some even go as far as to call it a "bad" Mega Man game. It is on the easy side...but the stages were really fun and had some neat gimmicks (anti gravity, the jet ski, the train, low gravity in space, etc).
Mega Man 2 went from overloved to overhated.
LightDaemon wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:03 am
As for the charge short being overpowered, how is that a big issue? The game is buster only oriented, as most of the NES titles.
Yes, the games are designed to be playable with only the Mega Buster in the robot master stages. However, the challenges usually seem set up to be easier with a certain weapon. In Mega Man 5, your charge shot is so big, it really doesn't matter. Whenever I play the game, I never run low on weapon energy, unless it is the end-game boss rush. And that is only because the game had 6 bosses before that.

The game also doesn't seem buster only oriented, because the weakness table is DOMINATED by Beat. A weapon you only MIGHT get after completing each robot master stage. And you are going to save that, because Dark Men 2-4 and the Wily Capsule are weak to Beat.
Bernie Sanders's account.

Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest