Mega Man 12: Will It Ever Happen?

Discuss anything related to Mega Man
Casual Builder

Mega Man 12: Will It Ever Happen?

Post by Casual Builder » Wed May 20, 2020 11:54 pm

It's the year 2020 A.D.
Classic Mega Man still remains successful in 33 years since his inception by Keiji Inafune. Despite many ups and dows, as well as a couple of quite long hiatuses, the Blue Bomber was always strong - and whenever he came back, he came back with epicness.

BUT...
There are still rumors that Mega Man saga will continue on. 11 official numbered games, lots of spin-offs, sizable number of remakes and collections... and still, there might be another story to tell. Question is: what exactly it could tell?

On the serious note, it might be a great discussion.
Feel free to lend your own thoughts and possible predictions about Mega Man 12.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

D-Man

Re: Mega Man 12: Will It Ever Happen?

Post by D-Man » Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 am

I do think there is potential for another numbered Mega Man title, seeing as 11 was successful in both critical reception and sales.

They could start by explaining what happened to Proto Man and Bass, as they were absent in 11. Making them playable would be even better, though since Mega can slide and charge shots again, they would need to come up with a more distinctive playstyle for the former. Roll could have a more active role in things too.

They could also revisit some underused stage concepts, such as reverse gravity. Without the technical limitations of the past, they can make something truly exciting.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 am

D-Man wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:27 am
They could start by explaining what happened to Proto Man and Bass, as they were absent in 11. Making them playable would be even better, though since Mega can slide and charge shots again, they would need to come up with a more distinctive playstyle for the former. Roll could have a more active role in things too.
Hm... fair enough. There's certainly a better occassion to bring Proto Man and Bass back. Not sure about Roll, though... she was always on the sidelines, it would be logical to give her Mission Control-sort of role. If Roll could be involved in any capacity, then it would be the perfect chance to explore her relationship with Mega Man (or other PCs) further.
D-Man wrote:
Without the technical limitations of the past, they can make something truly exciting.
Without a doubt. New gimmicks are always welcome - and possibilities for these are still endless.
Also, MM12 could emphasize several obscure themes into Robot Masters' roster.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Thu May 21, 2020 3:57 am

D-Man wrote:
My thinking would be this:
  • Mega Man: The standard character that the game is balanced around for the most part. His movement option is the slide, and his Special Weapons and utilities are the Mega Buster, a rapid fire buster that fires three shots and is chargeable, Rush Coil, a springboard attachment for Rush that boosts Mega Man up, and Rush Jet, a jet mode for Rush that ferries Mega Man across long gaps.
  • Proto Man: Proto Man is more powerful than Mega Man overall, but he can't handle the Double Gear system, and wasn't comfortable with having it installed anyway. Proto Man also slides, and when he jumps, he will raise his shield to reflect any projectiles so long as he isn't attacking. Instead of the Double Gear system, Proto Man can ready the Big Bang Strike. This is a screen clearing laser that can be fired after both activating it, and overcharging the Proto Buster. Be very careful with this ability, as you can only use it once per life, per stage, and after doing so you will take double damage until your next life. Proto Man's Special Weapons and utilities are the Proto Buster, which a more powerful version of the Mega Buster that only fires two shots, the Proto Coil, Rush Coil, but uninteresting, and Proto Jet, Rush Jet, but uninteresting.
  • Bass: Bass is weaker overall, but much more versatile than Mega Man. Instead of sliding, Bass will dash, which gives him a boost in momentum when canceling it with a jump. Bass's Special Weapons and utilities are the Bass Buster, a weaker, but multi-directional buster that fires up to four shots and doesn't go through walls, Treble Sentry, a utility that allows Treble to follow Bass, and attack nearby enemies, and Treble Boost, a panic button that allows for free flight at the cost of a really awkward to use buster. With the Power Gear active, the Bass Buster will go through walls, and have a normal damage output while still retaining the multi-directional and rapid fire capabilities.
  • Roll (Optional): Roll is the most powerful of them all with some great mobility as well. The trade-off, however, his her lack of range. Roll can dash just like Bass, and can also double jump (albeit at a much shorter height than her regular jump). Her Special Weapons and utilities are Roll Swing, a melee attack with her broom that is surprisingly powerful, but lacks range, Tango Dash, an offensive ability from Tango that helps Roll deal with far away opponents, and Tango Whirl, a move that gives Roll an extra jump with an added hitbox, but consumes a ton of energy. When using the Power Gear Roll outfitted her broom with, she can fire large projectiles, though they aren't as powerful as a hit with the melee attack.

UlticraftMTT
Discord: MettatonEX#9160

Post by UlticraftMTT » Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 am

I think a good way to do Mega Man 12 would to be trying 3D again, as long as:

Capcom makes a good 3D Platformer engine and doesn't use the wonky controls of Mega Man X7 and the Legends series as a base, they should NOT bring back auto aim, and maybe make buster shots larger so players can hit enemies easier, due to the lack of auto aim. Rayman 2 and 3, the first 3 Crash Bandicoot games, and the Ratchet and Clank series are 3D platformers that remind me quite a bit of Mega Man, though the Rayman and Ratchet games usually put their enemies into battle rooms instead of spreading them out during platforming, which Crash Bandicoot and Mega Man games put their enemies all throughout the platforming segments.

AND

Capcom doesn't listen to the critics that bash non-8-Bit Classic games and give games like X6 high scores. These critics are most likely to give a 3D Mega Man game a low score because it's not 8-Bit and 2D.

I think a lot more possibilities for boss fights, gimmicks, enemy types and much more would open in a 3D environment. Some enemies would have to be adjusted to work better in a 3D environment, like making Sniper Joes shoot in your direction, or making Mets shoot a larger amount of bullets when disturbed.

Another thing they could do is incorporate my ideas and possibly make the game switch between 2D and 3D in certain sections, kind of like modern Sonic games.

1/2/9/10 SFX Mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=91154#p91154
Game Boy Mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10508

hail boognish

Upcoming mods: Mega Man Maker Plus 2

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Thu May 21, 2020 5:35 am

UlticraftMTT wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 4:37 am
I think a good way to do Mega Man 12 would to be trying 3D again, as long as:

Capcom makes a good 3D Platformer engine and doesn't use the wonky controls of Mega Man X7 and the Legends series as a base, they should NOT bring back auto aim, and maybe make buster shots larger so players can hit enemies easier, due to the lack of auto aim. Rayman 2 and 3, the first 3 Crash Bandicoot games, and the Ratchet and Clank series are 3D platformers that remind me quite a bit of Mega Man, though the Rayman and Ratchet games usually put their enemies into battle rooms instead of spreading them out during platforming, which Crash Bandicoot and Mega Man games put their enemies all throughout the platforming segments.

AND

Capcom doesn't listen to the critics that bash non-8-Bit Classic games and give games like X6 high scores. These critics are most likely to give a 3D Mega Man game a low score because it's not 8-Bit and 2D.

I think a lot more possibilities for boss fights, gimmicks, enemy types and much more would open in a 3D environment. Some enemies would have to be adjusted to work better in a 3D environment, like making Sniper Joes shoot in your direction, or making Mets shoot a larger amount of bullets when disturbed.

Another thing they could do is incorporate my ideas and possibly make the game switch between 2D and 3D in certain sections, kind of like modern Sonic games.
I wouldn't want the next classic Mega Man game to be a 3D platformer. I feel it'd be too different from what I look for in the classic series. I'd definitely be open to a new spin-off series or a sequel to the last Mega Man Legends game though.

I think it'd be fine if Mega Man 12 was just more Mega Man 11, but with more than 10 levels, a boss rush, and a boss fight. Just give us more castles or Doc Robots or something, but without the bait and switch plot since even though story doesn't matter too much to the classic series, it's still pretty dumb that it was used 3 times in a row.

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 am

SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:35 am
I wouldn't want the next classic Mega Man game to be a 3D platformer. I feel it'd be too different from what I look for in the classic series. I'd definitely be open to a new spin-off series or a sequel to the last Mega Man Legends game though.

I think it'd be fine if Mega Man 12 was just more Mega Man 11, but with more than 10 levels, a boss rush, and a boss fight. Just give us more castles or Doc Robots or something, but without the bait and switch plot since even though story doesn't matter too much to the classic series, it's still pretty dumb that it was used 3 times in a row.
I pretty much agree: clashing Classic Mega Man with 3rd Dimension, in my honest opinion, could be really troublesome. It would make sense just to stick with 2.5D approach 11 took.

As for "more castles" thingy, that would be nice to have as well. Last time that happened waaaay back in 4, 5 and 6 - why not try it again? Capcom might as well create a new "bad doctor"-kind of character - involuntarily evil or otherwise; then pull the "Doctah Wahwee" switcheroo, thus leading Mega Man to the real final levels.

Double Gear System for Mega Man 12? I think it could be discarded in favor of a radically new concept - or the game would simply feature the characters like they were before 11.

Blue_Bummer

Post by Blue_Bummer » Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Something I was personally wondering was if the Double Gear system will be a new staple of the series (like the slide/charge shot) or if it was a one shot deal for MM11.🤔

I think they should keep gears and continue to build upon it for the franchise. Maybe offer options of different gears like a gravity gear for flipping/and/or reducing gravity, or a time gear for limited uses of rewinding time.

Definitely keep the 2.5 D option. It's what makes classic Mega Man feel... classic.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Thu May 21, 2020 2:58 pm

I think the best way to raise the level count in the next game would be to add something like the Doc Robots. It doesn't have to be Doc Robots specifically, but some sort of wave of bosses that Mega Man would need to defeat before moving onto the castle (which could stand to use a few more levels, especially if two of them are just for bosses). This way more of the game can keep it's defining trait of giving the player the freedom to pick which level they tackle when. They could beat the 8 new Robot Masters, then 8+ more bosses come out of the woodwork to challenge you, and you get to take your pick. It's also keep Wily Castle feeling special as the final destination.

If they were really crazy, they could bring in Robot Masters from the previous games, building new stages for them, remixing their boss battles, and even granting you their weapons upon defeat, allowing you to make more choices in your weapon loadout. Or if they truly went nuts, they'd become playable just like in Mega Man Powered Up! The issue with that though would be that it could affect level design too much, so I'd be fine with just getting the weapons, or the bosses themselves.

UlticraftMTT
Discord: MettatonEX#9160

Post by UlticraftMTT » Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 pm

I was thinking a 3D Classic Mega Man game could also not be a mainline title, but an experimental side title, akin to the Game Boy games, MM&B, Power Battle/Power Fighters, Battle and Chase, and others like that.

1/2/9/10 SFX Mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&p=91154#p91154
Game Boy Mod: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10508

hail boognish

Upcoming mods: Mega Man Maker Plus 2

ChickenMcNuggets

Post by ChickenMcNuggets » Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 pm

For me personally, I would want the Double Gear System back, but with a few upgrades, like a longer durability or new gears. Also, it defiantly needs more stages. Maybe 4 to 8 Doc Robot stages with RMs from the other 11 games with new stages. There could also be a possibility of getting the weapon from the Doc Robot that you defeat. Also, I would like to see a reverse bait-and-switch plot, where Wily isn't the one pulling the strings, but is a mere distraction. Any ideas on who the real villain could be if this happens? I was thinking that Quint from Mega Man II on the Game Boy could be the main villain since being forgotten to time probably gave him some time to think about a revenge plot to dismantle Mega Man. What are your ideas on this take of things?
Does anyone even read this?

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Thu May 21, 2020 8:56 pm

SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Just give us more castles or Doc Robots or something
Casual Builder wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 am
As for "more castles" thingy, that would be nice to have as well. Last time that happened waaaay back in 4, 5 and 6 - why not try it again?
SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:58 pm
I think the best way to raise the level count in the next game would be to add something like the Doc Robots. It doesn't have to be Doc Robots specifically, but some sort of wave of bosses that Mega Man would need to defeat before moving onto the castle (which could stand to use a few more levels, especially if two of them are just for bosses). This way more of the game can keep it's defining trait of giving the player the freedom to pick which level they tackle when. They could beat the 8 new Robot Masters, then 8+ more bosses come out of the woodwork to challenge you, and you get to take your pick. It's also keep Wily Castle feeling special as the final destination.
ChickenMcNuggets wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 pm
it defiantly needs more stages. Maybe 4 to 8 Doc Robot stages
I am against the Doc Robots idea consdering how poorly Mega Man 3 executed it, what with the revisited Needle Man stage having that long aerial section without giving you a chance to get your energy back if you die, and the battles against the Doc Robots themselves (particularly Quick Man and Wood Man) being very frustrating and not fun at all to fight.

As for having a second castle... Going back to MM4-6 length is a bad idea since the long trek through EIGHT castle stages eventually becomes a tedious slog. If you absolutely MUST use two castles, I advise each one be 3 stages long instead of 4 (with the 3rd one of Wily's castle being both the boss rush AND the final Wily battle).

MM3-6 extended the game too much, but MM7-10 got the castle length JUST right, then MM11 fucked it up by going too far in the other direction, but that would have been easily fixed by fusing Wily 3 and 4 into a single stage, and adding a full extra level with its own boss between the Mawverne and the Boss Rush. No need to throw in another full 4-stage castle.
SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
but without the bait and switch plot since even though story doesn't matter too much to the classic series, it's still pretty dumb that it was used 3 times in a row.
Casual Builder wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:17 am
Capcom might as well create a new "bad doctor"-kind of character - involuntarily evil or otherwise; then pull the "Doctah Wahwee" switcheroo
Like Smash Puppy said, the bait-and-switch plot is pretty dumb at this point. MM4 played it well, but by MM6 the plot twist can no longer get you unless MM6 is the very first game you play that far (which was my case). I propose two scenarios if you REALLY want to do a "fake new bad guy" thing:

1) Mega Man and the others don't believe the fake story for a second and KNOW something fishy is going on, like in Mega Man SFR when Mega Man was convinced of Protoman's innocence from the very start and knew that something weird was going on.

2) Do what ChickenMcNuggets said here:
ChickenMcNuggets wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:24 pm
Also, I would like to see a reverse bait-and-switch plot, where Wily isn't the one pulling the strings, but is a mere distraction.
Don't know who the true mastermind may be, it may be something like Dr. Eggman's plots when some powerful being that Wily THINKS he has under control is actually being the one secretly using Wily instead (like Ra Moon and Sunstar)
Blue_Bummer wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:42 pm
Something I was personally wondering was if the Double Gear system will be a new staple of the series (like the slide/charge shot)
I hope the Double Gear stays, as it gives the games a new gameplay twist that the series had been failing to give since MM5...

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Fri May 22, 2020 1:32 am

LeonardMan wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:56 pm
I am against the Doc Robots idea consdering how poorly Mega Man 3 executed it, what with the revisited Needle Man stage having that long aerial section without giving you a chance to get your energy back if you die, and the battles against the Doc Robots themselves (particularly Quick Man and Wood Man) being very frustrating and not fun at all to fight.

As for having a second castle... Going back to MM4-6 length is a bad idea since the long trek through EIGHT castle stages eventually becomes a tedious slog. If you absolutely MUST use two castles, I advise each one be 3 stages long instead of 4 (with the 3rd one of Wily's castle being both the boss rush AND the final Wily battle).

MM3-6 extended the game too much, but MM7-10 got the castle length JUST right, then MM11 fucked it up by going too far in the other direction, but that would have been easily fixed by fusing Wily 3 and 4 into a single stage, and adding a full extra level with its own boss between the Mawverne and the Boss Rush. No need to throw in another full 4-stage castle.
I just used the Doc Robots as an example of extra levels that weren't tied to castles. Ideally, the extra stages would be standalone stages that aren't just quick rehashes of the 8 Robot Master stages. The Doc Robots in Mega Man 3 are probably my least favorite in execution, but I think the concept of extra bosses you can tackle in any order is a great idea.

I agree with you on the second castle. I don't consider the second castles to be a slog per se, but the game really shouldn't expect you to play through half of it in one sitting.

I don't think Mega Man 3-6 were too long so much as Mega Man 3's level design is infuriating, and the second castles force you to commit longer than it should.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 am

SMAAASH!!! Puppy wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:32 am
Ideally, the extra stages would be standalone stages that aren't just quick rehashes of the 8 Robot Master stages.
Hmmmm... Like in Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel and Mega Man Rock Force?

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 pm

They are all good ideas, although something that no one mentioned is how RMs can be.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 pm

14Protoman wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 12:28 pm
They are all good ideas, although something that no one mentioned is how RMs can be.
I just want another beautiful female Robot Master like Splash Woman <3 but a different element this time, such as fire (passion) or ice (beauty).

SMAAASH!!! Puppy

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:19 am
Hmmmm... Like in Rosenkreuzstilette Freudenstachel and Mega Man Rock Force?
I've never heard of the first one, but yeah, Mega Man Rock Force seems to have done a good job with this concept (at least it looks fun. I've never played it). Mega Man 12 wouldn't have to fuse it's Robot Masters, but using the concept at its most basic (extra bosses you can tackle in any order before the castle levels) could address the complaints about the game's length without just making the castle longer (though it should at least have 3 levels before the boss rush and Wily Machine/Capsule).

AnimeMan

Post by AnimeMan » Sat May 23, 2020 3:10 pm

Soon.
It's me, NS*Smilax. I've been a Mega Man fan since the NES days.

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 am

Just another idea I've got on the spot...

Mega Man 12 would be a perfect opportunity to feature characters akin to Mega Man Killers - probably a new line-up of them; or it could bring classic Game Boy trio of Enker, Punk and Ballade back again - but on the official level. I just saw the potential of adding more of these characters into Mega Man canon - why not give it a shot again?

Proposed names for these could be: Jazz, Soul, Funk, Bravo, Disco, Melody, Drum... or any other music references to continue the tradition.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Sun May 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Casual Builder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:07 am
Proposed names for these could be: Jazz, Soul, Funk, Bravo, Disco, Melody, Drum... or any other music references to continue the tradition.
If one such new boss gets named "Melody" she MUST be female and pretty! <3 Classic Mega Man has few ladies compared to the spin-offs (that is, without counting some of the beauties that fans made, such as Daniel Paige's Tune Woman, Robert Seaton's Chill Woman, and MegaPhilX's Comet Woman, among others).

Come to think of it, if Wily is going to be stealing other people's robots for his Robot Master lineup again like he did in 11, then having Quake Woman or Honey/Vesper Woman could happen (though the former is unlikely since they'd need permission from Archie Comics to use her?)