GB Studio? Possible MegaMan GB remake in color?

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
NMario84
Discord: NMario84#6935

GB Studio? Possible MegaMan GB remake in color?

Post by NMario84 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:12 am

Has anyone tried, or familiar with this program called GB Studio? They've just released V2 Beta, which adds support for GB Color titles. So..... MegaMan Mania possible fan remake? Though I hear this program is VERY limited for what it can accomplish for a GB title, and was once targeted toward JRPGs, such as Zelda, Pokemon. Seems the update also adds some support for platformers as well as shooters.

I never tried this myself, but if if it's a program still in development, maybe perhaps once day we could very well see a decent GB Mega Man fan game in color? Though I would really like to see a MM GB remake in full color someday. That would be an interesting accomplishment if someone were able to pull it off using GB Studio.
I'm a dolphin that likes playing around with beach balls, though I prefer to pounce on my buddy.
He seems to love it when I do that to him. I don't mind at all. It shows that we're best friends.

Casual Builder

Re: GB Studio? Possible MegaMan GB remake in color?

Post by Casual Builder » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 am

I haven't tried it at all... but there's a possible alternative.

Romhacking could do the job. Hackers were able to rebuild several hit Game Boy games into full-color miracles (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX and Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins DX are the finest examples). I think it would be totally possible to colorize the entire GB Mega Man saga through hacking.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

NMario84

Post by NMario84 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm

Well yeah, but Is someone actually willing to do that where Capcom has failed to do so?

Prob be easier to rebuild TBH. That way not restricted to limitations.. Like it wouldn't have to be a hacked game, could be just a fan remake that can be played on PC or something..

Otherwise, GB Studio sounds interesting. But I am sure it has its limits even with the new GB Color option.
I'm a dolphin that likes playing around with beach balls, though I prefer to pounce on my buddy.
He seems to love it when I do that to him. I don't mind at all. It shows that we're best friends.

ZepperFang

Post by ZepperFang » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:02 pm

NMario84 wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:21 pm
Well yeah, but Is someone actually willing to do that where Capcom has failed to do so?
You had started a project ages ago, do you remember? I was impressed of how awesome it would be within time, but only 4 stages, no enemies... Well. :roll:

NMario84

Post by NMario84 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:27 pm

The problem with that was messy game engine set up. Hard to explain in detail, but it was rather extremely crappy. Like.... each frame had its own setup, and I was not satisfied with it.

As I said, it would have to be rewriten. Otherwise, I don't know anything about rom hacking to make the actual games have color.

BenPlusMM
Discord: https://discord.gg/a9XqaZ6 / Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 pm

Casual Builder wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:39 am

Romhacking could do the job. Hackers were able to rebuild several hit Game Boy games into full-color miracles (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
link's awakening dx was made by nintendo
IT IS THE SPOOKY MONTH

Casual Builder

Post by Casual Builder » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:39 am

BenPlusMM wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 pm
Casual Builder wrote:

Romhacking could do the job. Hackers were able to rebuild several hit Game Boy games into full-color miracles (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Doesn't change the fact that professional romhackers can also do that.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

BenPlusMM
Discord: https://discord.gg/a9XqaZ6 / Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:04 pm

Casual Builder wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:39 am
BenPlusMM wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:55 pm
Casual Builder wrote:

Doesn't change the fact that professional romhackers can also do that.
not contesting that, as i agree, just saying
IT IS THE SPOOKY MONTH

NMario84

Post by NMario84 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:11 am

Well, there's also re-writing the game from scratch, and having actual sprite objects rather than pieces of tiles per dump. That is if you're not an experienced rom hacker.

But if for say it's just a color mod only, I was able to find some alternatives. There's things such as GB Enhanced (command line emulator), which can do something similar to Mesen (nes emulator) where you dump sprites/tiles,, edit them, then load them into game.

I'm kind of curious how the developers of SM Land DX,, and SM Land 2 DX able to make such things from rom hacking. Quite the achievement.

Anyway, I hope that someday GB Studio will come out of its beta stages, and be able to make decent, action platform games.like Mega Man. That would save a bit of development time.