Sonic Advance 2 & 3: GBA Garbage (rant that reflects actual opinion)

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Sonic Advance 2 & 3: GBA Garbage (rant that reflects actual opinion)

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:17 am

advance 2:

I like how severely lacking this game has in game. Want to play it? Watch an LP. Done.
If you do play it, he warned, you will get bored.
Though the presentation is fantastic and the first level isn't too bad, but then you enter Hot crater.

You're all good. Now turn off the mqchine. If you don't get ready for speed traps and a B.S. Boss.

Ok you get to the third zone you realize how garbage this game really is. Don't play this game, it's bad.

Advance 3

Not a huge fan of that anthropomorphic robot from Sonic x it's design looks really ugly and tryhard so why does it exist in this game and it looks even worse here

Pick up the game, tag team your charqtcers, and then go to route 99. Route 99 is garbage. Level design is bland and filled with speed traps and doesn't really encourage the tag team abilities the game attempts to embrace.

Then you play sunset hill.

SUNSET HILL IS EVEN WORSE.

When it isn't bad, again, it's bland. You spend 49942 years trying to get through looping segments and get repeatedly hit by things you never saw coming. The hub world is extremely convoluted as well.

God, at least route 99 had a lower difficulty (then again all of advance 3's difficulty is artificial.) And a more straightforward hub. But nope! TGC said the game got better from the first zone, and though I respect his opinion, I don't believe him anymore. Darn it I hate advance 3 so much im gonna pla y big rigs now because almost anything is better than SAd3
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Sonic Advance 2 & 3: GBA Garbage (rant that reflects actual opinion)

Post by Royalguard » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:58 pm

Lets be serious here, Sonic Advance 2 is an early prototype of what would go on to be the "boost" gameplay style popularized with Sonic Rush, and between this imperfect formula, and flawed design ideas, Advance 2 came out pretty badly as a result.

The base levels designs are painfully generic, with almost all of them being being either diagonally upwards or diagonally downwards straight lines for the most part.

Enemies and gimmicks are regularly placed either in your way to bring your speed to a dead halt, or placed to purposefully knock you into bottomless pits, both usually giving you little to no time to react if traveling at high speeds.

It also doesn't help matters that a good chunk of the game's content is locked behind getting all the chaos emeralds with each character. Want to play as Amy? Want to mess around in the Chao Garden? Want to play the final stage as Super Sonic? Too bad, go collect Chaos Emeralds.

Then there is actually getting to the Special Stages to get the emeralds. You need to collect ALL the Red Rings in the stage to play the Special Stage, and with some level layouts or characters (especially Sonic who lacks mobility options like flying, gliding or climbing) if you miss certain Red Rings once, you can't go back and recollect it, forcing a stage restart to try again. Fail the Special Stage? Go through the painful process of collecting all the Red Rings again. Completely ridiculous

Oddly, what truly baffles me, is that Sonic Advance 2 was the highest reviewed Sonic game up until the release of Sonic Mania, and I have no idea why. I got Advance 2 when it was brand new, and I didn't even like it back during the time of its prime. It made me so disappointed that I never even bothered to buy Sonic Advance 3 at all.

Although I never owned Sonic Advance 3, I did borrow it very briefly from a friend. I agree with the above post about Area 99's level design, its an abomination of poor design choices and unfittingly punishing traps for a first zone of a Sonic game, its almost as bad as Underground Zone from Sonic The Hedgehog 2 on Game Gear.

What does a fast paced game like Advance 3 need? Convoluted hub worlds that slow down the transitions between each level, and character abilities spread so thin between character combinations that you are forced to play through levels more times than necessary to collect all the goodies. Oh joy, just what I wanted! Clunky interfaces and pointless padding!

If you want to play a Sonic Advance game, just stick with the first one, its the best designed one of the three, and if you are lucky, you can snag one of the various 2-for-1 GBA carts out there featuring Sonic Advance and another GBA Sega game.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:25 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:58 pm
Lets be serious here, Sonic Advance 2 is an early prototype of what would go on to be the "boost" gameplay style popularized with Sonic Rush, and between this imperfect formula, and flawed design ideas, Advance 2 came out pretty badly as a result.
I played Sonic Rush through one zone, and this is just a first impression, I didn't enjoy it that much. What it does though is MUCH more refined than Advance 2, albeit not by much.

Then the boost GAMES.

I've only played 2 of the 6 (though I'm probably going to start playing Colors DS soon), Unleashed and Forces.

Sonic Unleashed is bad to say the least. The day stages (AKA the ones with boost are pretty fun, even if they overstay their welcome and the framerate is pathetic. They're not great, but I like them more than Rush's.

Unleashed rather has ridiculous (and pointless) padding. The Day stages can be heavily practiced to get faster and better, so why is there so much padding (Sun & Moon medals, overabundance of night stages)? Overall, I hated Unleashed.

Forces is really bad, but for some reason i enjoyed it. You don't need to be a super critic to see its heavily flawed design as a boost game, and a game in general, but heck, I enjoyed it enough that I was unable to really give a bad rating.

I haven't played the ones considered to be best though (generations and colors), other than Generation's demo. And I have to say, Generations blows unleashed and Forces (And rush) Right out of the water. Its stages are great and a sincere inclusion of classic sonic balances some interesting gameplay as well.

In total? I think Boost can be done right, just that from what I have seen, it's not represented well. Though Generations and colors might just change my views on that...

As for why Advance 2 was the highest rated sonic title for a while? The presentation. Critics played the first level then called it "the most gorgeous sonic game", not really bothering to look at the game as a whole. Then with Sonic '06. I feel like critics were obligated to bump down their ratings for sonic a little bit.

As for the best 3D sonic formula? The adventure games. I know they are extremely divisive, and have a lot of flaws, but the controls are pretty tight and the level design is pretty consistent, more being bogged down by garbage like Big's stages or the Rogue/Knuckles levels. I think they're pretty good games and much better than the boost formula has put out.
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Post by Royalguard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:55 pm

Never played Sonic Rush myself. Don't have any comment on it.

Did however play Sonic Rush Adventure, and although I'm not personally a fan of "boost" gameplay style Sonic games, I actually had a decent time with it. Level designs where pretty good, bosses where creative, music was amazing (except New Venture, which is really annoying). Only thing I didn't really care for where some of the boat mini-games being tedious, and needing to replay levels over and over again to grind for resources. Other than that, It was decently enjoyable, and I liked the achievements system. Cleared the game to 100%. Enjoyable, would consider playing it again someday. Big Swell is a really underrated boss theme in terms of music.

Played Colors DS, didn't care for it. Level designs and challenges where really gimmicky, and for some reason (to me at least) Sonic feels oddly heavier in Colors DS compared to Rush Adventure, and it really threw off my flow. Also 100% it, but by the end I really just wanted to put it down and never play it again.

Played Generations 3DS, and I feel it has fun levels and bosses for the most part. The controls and physics are odd though. Modern Sonic (much like Colors DS) once again (to me at least) feels heavy and stiff (especially when not boosting), and Classic Sonic has the opposite problem of being really floaty and lacking any kind of proper traction on the ground. Final boss is dumb, as is all the missions being locked behind Streetpass coins. Unlockables are pretty neat though. Not good, not bad, pretty average, good for nostalgia value though.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.