Hot Take: 9th gen consoles will suck

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Hot Take: 9th gen consoles will suck

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:16 pm

If you're planning on doing next gen gaming in 20XX, buy yourself a switch.
I know. I'm not the kind of person that would abruptly suggest a switch, as I believe it's only an average console. But considering what's coming up you might as well call it the best console ever, because the PS5 and Xbox Scarlett, I will predict, will be worth nothing at all.

First of all, they're 4K. Great! Amazing! I don't care! We already have 4K!
Ooo, their processers are like 3% faster than now! that's a poor improvement!
Ooo, they're using technology that is 2-3 years old!
Here's my point: Next gen gaming will bring nothing to the table. Consoles have reached their limits for now.
I will not doubt that new tech is being made and more powerful stuff will come out soon. But the speculated release date, at least for the moment, is 2020. 8 months away.

The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are the most technolgically advanced consoles on the planet, and if there isn't enough superior technology, then you are buying the same thing with a different name and price tag.

The Switch is continuing development, and while inferior, is portable and only half the price these consoles are predicted to have ($600). If you already own one, you won't even need to spend anything.

We are not ready for a new generation if the technology is only slightly more powerful than we have now. The PS5 will likely sell well because it's playstation. There are enough Sony fanboys to keep the sales well. As for the Xbox? I'm predicting it won't do well. I probably won't get 9th gen Xbox until my Xbox one breaks. Even then I have a PC. A tablet. I can get a switch if I want console gaming, even though Nintendo hasn't stopped shutting down fangames. I'm more willing to get a switch than I would getting a PS5 or an Xbox Scarlett. And I'm not too willing to buy a Switch, so there.

I can only hope I'm wrong, and that the tech is worth anything new: But the 8th gen can't end this year. Technology is unlimited enough. The push is useless. These consoles will likely only be modest upgrades at best.
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Hot Take: 9th gen consoles will suck

Post by Royalguard » Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 pm

The more and more console generations pass, the smaller and smaller the difference in hardware specs is going to be.

This is likely going to end up biting Sony and Microsoft in the butt, as they've always been about high end console specs more than anything else.

Nintendo on the other hand has always been about innovating how games are played, for the better (3DS, Switch) and for the worse (Virtual Boy, Wii U), and don't rely on system specs as their main selling point.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:33 am

Royalguard wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 11:38 pm
The more and more console generations pass, the smaller and smaller the difference in hardware specs is going to be.

This is likely going to end up biting Sony and Microsoft in the butt, as they've always been about high end console specs more than anything else.

Nintendo on the other hand has always been about innovating how games are played, for the better (3DS, Switch) and for the worse (Virtual Boy, Wii U), and don't rely on system specs as their main selling point.
Which is why I predict that Nintendo's going to win this generation hard: If I have an Xbox one that can run 1080p at 60fps, that's perfectly fine. I have a 1080p TV. It's 60FPS. A perfect setup.
Do they really think they can run 4K... or 8K... at stable framerates this early on? I think Nintendo should go to 1080p and 60fps, then work on innovation. Because the Switch is very underpowered for what it is, so their next console should at least step it up to something acceptable, but still have special definition and not make it too hard to develop for. The Wii U was not succsessful, despite having a nice library of games, but only first party titles.

BenPlusMM
Discord: Ben™ #6759

Post by BenPlusMM » Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 am

The only bad things about the Switch are that the Joycon buttons can feel really small when playing undocked, and there's too many Wii U ports. Other than that, the Nintendo Switch is perfect. I really don't care all that much about graphics, the only time I dislike them is if they're lower than 360p. Going 4K, 8K, etc. will only bring more lag and slowdown which is extremely annoying to deal with (learned that the hard way), and the spectacle doesn't make up for it all that much. Portability is important, and there has literally never been a handheld Microsoft gaming console, which is losing out on a lot of market power since not everyone wants to buy an entire computer just to play video games.

General consensus:
Nintendo is the best and will be the best for a while.
Does this look like the face of mercy to you?
Currently a Level 99 Pun Warrior.

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sun May 12, 2019 10:09 am

BenPlusMM wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 am
there's too many Wii U ports.
* A large number of people never bought the Wii U, and never played these games, and will likely buy them.
* Some people may have loved these games, but their Wii Us are no longer operational, and want them again on Switch.
* They are likely cheap and fast to produce, as they are already based on a recent finished project's assets.
* Its not like they are a bunch of low quality shovelware clogging up the game's library.

I personally don't see the problem. If you already own them on a still functional Wii U, just don't buy them.
Let the people who missed out on them, or sold/lost/broke their Wii U enjoy them.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:43 am

At first the Switch seemed like a last resort but What choice do people have anymore

I'm not stepping from my Xbox one for a long time, if ever
-It is 1080p60
-Allows me to play my titles comfortably with a nice (but not as good as X360) controller
-Still has reliable online (4K/8K online doesn't work well)
-Only bought it a couple years ago, so it likely will stay functional for a pretty long time

The PS4 has these perks, as well as
-Able to play PSP/vita games

Honestly for the next generation to work, we need to make this generation of consoles the longest of its time. There aren't good enough specs to make a new "good" console.

If we give it like a year or two where consoles can have real power, maybe. But we can't be in a 5-7 year loop much longer.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:51 am

BenPlusMM wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 5:30 am
Nintendo Switch is perfect.
-Joycons cramp your hands
-Expensive replacements at 80 or more dollars to replace controllers
-The stand
-The gimmick isn't even original (Game gear did it, PSP/vita did it, and HDMI/Av Out cables are a thing. And tablets. Can't forget phone games.)
-The battery life
-Some games can't run properly on the switch and have been downgraded to match its power
-Even the simplest of First party titles (Sushi slasher HD) are 50 dollars. I get a lot of games cost that these days so I won't hold it against Nintendo but Sushi Slasher? 50 dollars?
-S w i t c h o n l i n e
-The smash joycons exist

I threw some nitpicks in there, but hopefully you understand: This is what we get as the best console for the 9th gen. PS5 and Xbox 2 will deliver so terribly. At least the switch has good support, not an insane price, and reasonable things (like pro controllers. Those things feel pretty good.) and third party for nintendo in the first time in 10 years. I think these balance out the bad... when you think about the 9th generation.

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Probably my biggest disappointment when it comes to Nintendo Switch, is the lack of the Virtual Console.

And, no, having the ability to "borrow" NES games for paying for an online membership is NOT a suitable replacement.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm
Probably my biggest disappointment when it comes to Nintendo Switch, is the lack of the Virtual Console.

And, no, having the ability to "borrow" NES games for paying for an online membership is NOT a suitable replacement.
^

Switch Online isn't that great when it comes to reliability in general. i think Online and Virtual console could be fixed... but they possibly aren't going back, despite the succsess of the classic consoles and the virtual console of the Wii.