In my opinion, this is what makes a game good

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

In my opinion, this is what makes a game good

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:21 pm

There is a fine line between a good game and a bad game. And whether if a game is good depends.
Some people consider a game good if it's fun.
Some people consider a game good if critics say so.
Some people consider a game good if they think it's a well made pleasure.

I wanted to make a simple but effective way to decide on what makes a good or a bad game.
So I made a checklist:

The four things that make up a game are fun, design, mechanics, and presentation.
I think these four are the most important parts of a game you should oversee as you review a game.

So here's my idea for what makes a game good. Look at the 4 things a game should have.

-Entertainment (Is the game fun and enjoyable, as it is meant to be?)
-Design (Does the game show thought in its gameplay and deliver a challenging but fair experience?)
-Mechanics (Does the game control well, have ease of play, and is mostly bug-free?)
-Appeal (Does the game have a captivating story, good graphics and sound, and a good soundtrack?)

I think a good game does 2-4 of these things well, but a bad game only does 0-1 of these things.
There are exceptions but this is the basic format.

Mega Man 3 is a game I've definitely ragged on in the past, but I think it is actually a good game.
I think all the Mega Man games are good, excepts for perhaps 1, but that's not the point.

Mega Man 3 has... (+ means positive, - means negative)

+Entertainment. The game is fun, and challenging.
-Design. Depending on who you ask, the design might be good or bad, but I personally did not like the design.
-Mechanics. Again, depends on who you ask. The control felt stiff to me and the game is littered with bugs.
+Appeal. IMO, MM3 has the best soundtrack the NES can offer! The graphics and presentation are great too.

So Mega Man 3 scored 2/4 on the checklist. By my standards, that means it's a good game!

So that's my methodology for retrospective on whether if I find a game good or bad. I tried to simplify it as much as possible but still have it make sense. Do you have your own methods for thinking about good games? What do you think about my method?
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: In my opinion, this is what makes a game good

Post by Royalguard » Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 am

How would instances of "So bad, its good" factor into this grading system?
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

UlticraftMTT
Discord: MettatonEX#9160

Post by UlticraftMTT » Thu May 16, 2019 7:11 am

This may sound weird, but my philosophy is that even if a game is considered bad due to bland gameplay, mechanics, or what not, it's still not a factually bad game unless it has:

Crucial elements of the game locked behind paywalls

Glitches and bugs that are guaranteed to pop up during regular gameplay and affect it heavily instead of bugs and glitches that you have to find yourself

Actual control problems, like input lag that is noticeable by casual players, An important gameplay action that can't be used because it wasn't mapped to a button properly, random controller disconnection, or things like that, stiff or weird controls don't count because at least some people can get used to those

Unintentionally unbeatable levels

Noticeable graphical problems

With this philosophy, these "bad" games are good:

Sonic '06
Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
Fortnite (Note that Fortnite is a free game and you don't technically need to buy anything to play it)
Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival

These "good" games are bad:

Mega Man 1
Mega Man 3
Most Wii games
Any Fallout game after 2 but before 76 (3, New Vegas, 4)

And these "bad" games are still bad:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
Superman 64
Most Kinect games
Fallout 76

(Note, just because a game is called good or bad by my philosophy doesn't mean i don't like it, I like every Fallout game except for 76, i like every Mega Man game except for 3, i don't like Fortnite but i'm getting tired of people bashing it constantly, and a lot of Wii games are pretty damn good)
porcupuffer cause why not

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 pm

By just about all in-depth scales of analysis, I would classify Sonic The Hedgehog 2 as a pretty bad game, design wise.

...yet for some odd reason I'm always drawn back in to play it again and again.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:15 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:25 pm
By just about all in-depth scales of analysis, I would classify Sonic The Hedgehog 2 as a pretty bad game, design wise.

...yet for some odd reason I'm always drawn back in to play it again and again.
Probably because it has appeal. The graphics and music are great, control is tight and it's memorable.
Sometimes design is not what makes a game great. ;)

LightDaemon

Post by LightDaemon » Thu May 16, 2019 11:17 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by LightDaemon on Sat May 18, 2019 12:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
Tired of Internet

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 am

But games are made for 2 things:

-Entertainment
-Money

A game that isn't fun isn't worth money so the entire purpose dies

LightDaemon

Post by LightDaemon » Fri May 17, 2019 12:43 am

Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:37 am

-Entertainment
-Money

Wow, if I knew I was talking to such a genius, I wouldn't have written such a long paragraph.
Tired of Internet

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Brazencoronet17 wrote:

-Entertainment
-Money

Your model used to be how games where made, but it has long since been replaced with a new model.

-Entertainment value is irrelevant, just ensure the game is not hated to the point where people stop playing.
-Give very tiny incentives to keep the player returning and playing more.
-Make games slow tedious grind fests, that force people to play for long periods of time if they want to see even the smallest amounts of progress.
-Constantly shove the concept of microtransations in people's faces, that have the ability to make the game less tedious and grindy.
-If the game is multiplayer focused, make players feel bad if they don't have customizations (viusal or otherwise) that makes them stand out as unique in a social setting, so that they are encouraged to pay for associated microtransactions.

UlticraftMTT
Discord: MettatonEX#9160

Post by UlticraftMTT » Fri May 17, 2019 7:37 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 pm
Brazencoronet17 wrote:

-Entertainment
-Money

Your model used to be how games where made, but it has long since been replaced with a new model.

-Entertainment value is irrelevant, just ensure the game is not hated to the point where people stop playing.
-Make games slow tedious grind fests, that force people to play for long periods of time if they want to see even the smallest amounts of progress.
-Constantly shove the concept of microtransations in people's faces, that have the ability to make the game less tedious and grindy.
-If the game is multiplayer focused, make players feel bad if they don't have customizations (viusal or otherwise) that makes them stand out as unique in a social setting, so that they are encouraged to pay for associated microtransactions.
Nintendo and Indie Developers don't use said model though
porcupuffer cause why not

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 5:43 pm
Brazencoronet17 wrote:

-Entertainment
-Money

Games that do that:

-Most EA games
-Most Battle Royale Games
-Most sports games
-Most games really

Games that don't do that:

-Most games modeled to look like an older game

...That's kinda sad. The 90s were better times I guess.