Pokemon and creative burnout

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
BenPlusMM
Discord: https://discord.gg/a9XqaZ6 / Ben™ #6759

Pokemon and creative burnout

Post by BenPlusMM » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:45 am

We've all heard of Pokemon before. Get kicked out of your parents' house at the ripe old age of 10 years old and take a magic pet from a crazy old dude to fight other people's magic pets. Lately, I've been playing a lot of older Pokemon games, and I've been having fun. However, this might've been a bad thing.. For some odd reason, I've felt uneasy when subjected to chiptunes in general since last night, and I've had Pokemon music stuck in my head since last night also. I love retro games, but playing Pokemon is making my enjoyment of them lessened. It's also lessened my creativity for some reason. I can't think of any new or good ideas, and I've lost the drive to make content for my YouTube channel. Maybe I'm just a doofaloid, but I think this is being caused by Pokemon, the most battered and beaten dead horse ever.
crima

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Pokemon and creative burnout

Post by Royalguard » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:52 am

Pokemon in a nutshell

Gen 1: Simple beginnings and a promising future
Gen 2: Masterpieces that pushed hardware to it's limits
Gen 3: Buggy, unfinished, and cut content
Gen 4: A return to form, but questionable decisions
Gen 5: Blandness incarnate
Gen 6: Getting lazy
Gen 7: Are they even trying anymore?
Gen 8: Corporate greed and controversy, the great divide of the fanbase

Mega Pokebattlerz
Discord: Mega Pokebattlerz#4489

Post by Mega Pokebattlerz » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 pm

Bash it all you want, but there will always be people that support the franchise no matter how stale people say it gets. If the success of the franchise is anything to go by, you're just a vocal minority.

Besides, It seems ironic for the guy with a Dartrix avatar to say Gen 7 was lazy. (It wasn't by the way, Sun and Moon has a fantastic story with memorable characters and a unique setting, USUM was kind of a step back though).
ded

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:21 pm

Maybe listening to the chiptunes of Red/Blue and Gold/Silver for prolonged periods of time have damaged your brain somehow. Lavender Town's theme in particular reaches very high and painful-sounding notes.

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

DestroyerOfDestruction
Discord: BigMaster#4335

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 pm

BenPlusMM wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:45 am
We've all heard of Pokemon before. Get kicked out of your parents' house at the ripe old age of 10 years old and take a magic pet from a crazy old dude to fight other people's magic pets. Lately, I've been playing a lot of older Pokemon games, and I've been having fun. However, this might've been a bad thing.. For some odd reason, I've felt uneasy when subjected to chiptunes in general since last night, and I've had Pokemon music stuck in my head since last night also. I love retro games, but playing Pokemon is making my enjoyment of them lessened. It's also lessened my creativity for some reason. I can't think of any new or good ideas, and I've lost the drive to make content for my YouTube channel. Maybe I'm just a doofaloid, but I think this is being caused by Pokemon, the most battered and beaten dead horse ever.
You should obviously stop playing Pokemon and see if you recover from that burnout.
Crossing a dangerous river

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Maybe try playing a more creative RPG like Earthbound or Chrono Trigger? Idk.

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:17 am

Gen 1: Aged poorly IMO (Come on this game's one redeeming quality is you don't have to take a pokemon out of your party to make room for an eevee. Other than that? I do not enjoy this at all.)
Gen 2: Good but shows age (Still uses dated gameboy mechanics and can be glitched to hell and back)
Gen 3: Decent (Good game, good remakes. I heard the clock system can break but haven't seen anything about it.)
Gen 4: Fantastic, especially the gen 2 remakes (Heartgold is genulinely enjoyable and a lot of fun. D&P is also a pretty good edition to the series.)
Gen 5: Fine (The game and stuff is fine enough to me.)
Gen 6: idk
Gen 7: idk
Gen 8: Decent (Kind of an unpopular opinion ngl. The controversy surrounding these games is giant, from Pokemon Pikachu/Eevee's weird half remake and Sword/Shield's incompleteness in comparison to other games)
i am no longer active :pensive:

bye

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:33 am

Mega Pokebattlerz wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 pm
Bash it all you want, but there will always be people that support the franchise no matter how stale people say it gets. If the success of the franchise is anything to go by, you're just a vocal minority.

Besides, It seems ironic for the guy with a Dartrix avatar to say Gen 7 was lazy. (It wasn't by the way, Sun and Moon has a fantastic story with memorable characters and a unique setting, USUM was kind of a step back though).
I specially stated I though Gen 6 was lazy.

I feel X/Y has a non-existent post game and likes to copy ideas from Gen 1 (Viridian Forest clone, Snorlax blocking the road, villain HQ hidden under a place of business, ect.).

I feel OR/AS removed or butchered features from its source game, like Game Corner, Battle Frontier, and the unique game mechanics from the Safari Zone. Its online compatibility with X/Y I feel was also rather poorly handled.

Also, as far as Gen 7 goes, just because I like some aspects, doesn't mean I felt the game is well designed as a whole. S/M doesn't even feel like a finished product IMO, it feels like a beta or prototype of US/UM. Also, I feel Gen 7's online interface across all of its games is a serious downgrade from Gen 6. No more voice chat, no more fully custom status messages, no more being able to access online functions from anywhere in the overworld, no more real-time indications of the status of other online players, no more being able to see who is currently inside your room when you are waiting for people to join your Multi-Battle room, no more being able to send O-Powers to other players to help them. I'm okay with removal of custom status messages and voice chat, as I can see where that could be potentially problematic with regards to younger players, but all the other downgrades are baffling to me.

I personally felt Gen 6 had lots of potential, but never reached the level of quality it probably should have been.

D-Man

Post by D-Man » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:59 am

BenPlusMM wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:45 am
For some odd reason, I've felt uneasy when subjected to chiptunes in general since last night, and I've had Pokemon music stuck in my head since last night also. I love retro games, but playing Pokemon is making my enjoyment of them lessened. It's also lessened my creativity for some reason. I can't think of any new or good ideas, and I've lost the drive to make content for my YouTube channel. Maybe I'm just a doofaloid, but I think this is being caused by Pokemon, the most battered and beaten dead horse ever.
Somehow I find it hard to believe that just playing Pokemon is the root cause of your artist's block. How long have you been playing these games for, and what can you recall before being subjected to the chiptunes?

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Friend Code: SW-0335-5373-4233

Uranus
Discord: Uranus#7544

Post by Uranus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:19 am

DO NOT TIME TRAVEL TO 2016
Uranus is finally back. Message me on Discord if you have any issues with the forums or the wiki. Or contact the other mods if I'm not active.

JOIN THE UNITED CORPARATIONS TODAY!!

pm me to do so

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Uranus wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:19 am
DO NOT TIME TRAVEL TO 2016
⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠟⠛⠛⠛⢛⠻⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠉⠐⠄⠄⠄⠄⠠⠄⠄⢀⣀⡈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠋⡀⠴⢒⡒⠂⠄⢀⡀⢐⡀⡀⠄⠄⢀⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⡡⠪⠶⢿⡭⡉⠄⢀⢣⣖⣶⣬⡱⣄⠄⠄⠄⠸⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡁⣔⣎⠓⠂⡀⠑⠖⣒⠭⠻⠿⠿⠷⠙⣎⠉⠉⠄⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢧⢱⣿⣔⣀⠊⠐⢼⣿⣶⣠⠄⠐⡐⠶⡂⣿⣀⡀⠄⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣟⠂⣿⣿⣷⣶⣟⣴⣾⣿⣧⣐⣤⣤⣭⣿⠇⡇⠄⠄⠄⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢹⠄⣿⣿⣿⣿⡌⠿⣛⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢫⡞⡇⠄⠄⢰⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣫⠞⢀⣿⣿⣿⣥⣤⣌⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣽⣿⠁⡇⠒⢒⣾⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣯⣾⠋⠄⠘⣿⣿⣿⣶⣶⣭⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣾⡿⠃⣴⡇⠄⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⡛⡿⣿⣿⣷⣇⠄⠄⡈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣉⠄⣼⡇⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⠉⠐⣥⡙⠛⠿⠇⢸⠰⠄⠄⠄⠹⠟⠛⠋⢉⣀⢩⢴⠄⢰⣿⣧⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⠄⠄⠄⢱⡀⠄⠄⠇⡰⠄⡐⠄⠰⠰⢿⠃⠈⠉⢠⠄⠄⠻⠿⢾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⡤⡴⠶⠚⠋⠻⣆⠄⠁⣠⠡⠐⠁⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠁⠄⠠⣦⠄⠄⠄⠄⠄⠲⠎⠉⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠟⠛⠛⠛⢛⠻⠿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠉⠐⠄⠄⠄⠄⠠⠄⠄⢀⣀⡈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠋⡀⠴⢒⡒⠂⠄⢀⡀⢐⡀⡀⠄⠄⢀⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⡡⠪⠶⢿⡭⡉⠄⢀⢣⣖⣶⣬⡱⣄⠄⠄⠄⠸⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡁⣔⣎⠓⠂⡀⠑⠖⣒⠭⠻⠿⠿⠷⠙⣎⠉⠉⠄⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢧⢱⣿⣔⣀⠊⠐⢼⣿⣶⣠⠄⠐⡐⠶⡂⣿⣀⡀⠄⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣟⠂⣿⣿⣷⣶⣟⣴⣾⣿⣧⣐⣤⣤⣭⣿⠇⡇⠄⠄⠄⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢹⠄⣿⣿⣿⣿⡌⠿⣛⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢫⡞⡇⠄⠄⢰⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⣫⠞⢀⣿⣿⣿⣥⣤⣌⠙⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⣽⣿⠁⡇⠒⢒⣾⣿⣿⣿ ⣿⣿⣿⣯⣾⠋⠄⠘⣿⣿⣿⣶⣶⣭⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣾⡿⠃⣴⡇⠄⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⡛⡿⣿⣿⣷⣇⠄⠄⡈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣉⠄⣼⡇⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⠉⠐⣥⡙⠛⠿⠇⢸⠰⠄⠄⠄⠹⠟⠛⠋⢉⣀⢩⢴⠄⢰⣿⣧⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿ ⠄⠄⠄⢱⡀⠄⠄⠇⡰⠄⡐⠄⠰⠰⢿⠃⠈⠉⢠⠄⠄⠻⠿⢾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
i am no longer active :pensive:

bye

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Mega Pokebattlerz wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:51 pm
Sun and Moon has a fantastic story with memorable characters and a unique setting
I don't have the means to play that game, but given what I know that's probably true...

HOWEVER, Game Freak is making the exact same mistake as the Legend of Zelda dev team did when they made Skyward Sword! Yes, genuinely cool story, but these people need to be reminded that they are making a GAME! Not a movie, not an anime, a GAME! That means the player is not just a spectator sitting outside of the world watching the story unfold, he is supposed to BE the main character! Not control the main character from outside, BE the character!

Especially when the game is SO highly-customizable, letting you assemble your own team of monsters at your personal preference, it stands to reason that the player should also make the game's story out of his personal experience. You know WHY RPG protagonists tend to be mute? Because YOU're supposed to speak their lines! WITH YOUR OWN PHYSICAL MOUTH! Granted, the other characters won't pay attention to you, but...

There is some accidental genius in the design of Kanto, because of the + formation of roads around Saffron City, that lets players go off in many different ways once they're through Rock Tunnel. That means each player has a completely different story to tell once they've finished the game!

The devs of pokemon, however, fail to acknowledge the player's participation in the game. They say "Oooh! With these graphics we FEEL IT IN OUR BODY that we want to TELL A STORY! Oh, MY STORY is SO AWESOME! I'm not gonna let that stupid player ruin my AWESOME STORY by allowing him to go wherever the fuck he wants!"

Devs like these are the reason The Stanley Parable exists.

Also, them removing well-received features JUST for the sake of surprising the player, with no other purpose than the physical sensation of surprise itself! Subverting the audience's expectations is good, but should NOT be done ALL THE TIME! And you should NEVER EVER aim to surprise just for the sake of surprise, with no rhyme or reason!