Suggest Level Gimmicks (1)

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
UBERMAN2014

Suggest Level Gimmicks (1)

Post by UBERMAN2014 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:00 am

So I have been designing levels, for quite some time, and I haven't got some good ideas on how to improve my levels more. Can anyone suggest a gimmick I could add to a specific level?

To start, I have this one level where the goal is to get all the weapons and keys in order to access the main boss room.

Weapons I chose:
Proto Buster (I'm playing as Proto Man in the said level.)
Magma Bazooka
Concrete Shot
Water Shield
Star Crash
Quick Boomerang
(The last two, you can only choose one depending on the number of green keys you collected)
Hyper Bomb
Jewel Satellite

Robot Masters I picked:
Crash Man
Bounce Man
Grenade Man
Skull Man
Pharaoh Man
Bomb Man (Secret boss)
Spark Man (Final boss which I trapped him inside a pseudo Wily Machine I designed.)

All that remains is that the level has 39 screens total (with the 40th an Easter egg) with backtracking involved. I've already finished the intro part of the stage, and I need some help to fill in the remaining 22 screens before I upload them.

Thanks in advance.
Astro Man - Seeing Stars: 513293
Go Go Proto Man: TBD
Perfect DiVE: WIP
Uber Adventure 1:TBD; 2:TBD; 3:WIP; 4:WIP
Uber Quest: TBD

14Protoman

Re: Suggest Level Gimmicks (1)

Post by 14Protoman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:56 pm

I think i can help you.

14Protoman

Post by 14Protoman » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:37 pm

Magma bazoka is a firearm, so it can work for you to interact in certain ways, like destroying Mash burners, Crabbots and Brain breakers, blowing up TNT, burning oil, and melting ice.
Concrete shot can petrify magma beams and help you climb walls, you can also create platforms to slide into certain holes that do not have a platform for you to stand on and it can destroy Fire Totems, Caricarries and Flower presenters in one hit. , prevent explosive enemies from exploding and destroy spins.
Water shield is a water weapon, so it helps you extinguish fire and dilute acid, not to mention that it is a shield and it helps you avoid shots and destroy many enemies.
Star crash is a good replacement for Rush coil and a shield weapon.
With Quick boomerang you can hit enemies from behind, as well as being able to destroy spins, Hot dogs in just a few hits and Big fishes.
Hyper bomb can destroy many types of enemies like Okosubotons or Pookers that are not normally destroyed and protected enemies (And I'm not talking about the ones with shields).
Jewel satellite is good shooting reflector and can destroy many small enemies.
As for bosses, Bounce man can destroy Cracked blocks and build puzzles with it.

UBERMAN2014

Post by UBERMAN2014 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:19 am

Thanks for the weapon and boss ideas, this can come in handy whenever I work on other levels.

While I'm at it, here's a glimpse of one of the screens.
Judging from this concept, Proto Man cannot access the top area unless he has the Concrete Shot. The following screen is actually the part where he has to cross the spike pit, to get to the ladder on the other side, which where I would put the magma beams.

UBERMAN2014

Post by UBERMAN2014 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:08 pm

I've finally finished the level with the given conditions and it turned out good, despite having 39 screens and lots of backtracking involved. All is left, is to upload the level and let everyone try their best if they can make it up to the last boss of the level.

Thanks again for all the help! I might be posting up my next question shortly.