Playable Character Idea: Sniper Joe

Post feedback or suggestions for the game
Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Playable Character Idea: Sniper Joe

Post by Royalguard » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 am

Just throwing out an idea for a possible new character to add to Mega Man Maker. I don't see this character likely ever appearing in Mega Man Maker as something playable, but thought I might as well throw it out anyways. :lol:

Why Sniper Joe?
According to lore, Dr. Light mass-produced Sniper Joes based on Proto Man's design. It could probably be assumed that Dr. Light still owns at least one of his own Sniper Joe models. Sniper Joe is also one of the most iconic enemies in the entire Mega Man series.

Default Buster Type:
  • Max 3 shots on screen at once.
  • Sniper Joe's standard buster shots are larger than MegaMan's/ProtoMan's standard buster shots (same size as an enemy MM2 Sniper Joe's shots).
Charge Shot Type:
  • Throw a grenade in a set arc, grenade explodes after a few seconds, or instantly if it collides with an enemy.
Slide Type:
  • While in a standing position, pressing Slide makes Sniper Joe get into a crawling position, pressing Slide while in crawling position makes Sniper Joe return to standing position.
  • Pressing left or right while in crawling position makes Sniper Joe slowly crawl in that direction.
  • While in crawling position, Sniper Joe's hitbox size is roughly the same as MegaMan's/ProtoMan's sliding hitbox, allowing him to slip under enemy projectiles unharmed, or crawl into 1 block high openings MegaMan or ProtoMan could normally slide through.
Utility Type:
  • Rush Jet/Rush Coil is replaced with an Apache Joe helicopter.
  • Assuming Rush Marine is added to Mega Man Maker in the future, it is replaced with the Rider Joe marine bike.
Misc.:
  • Opposite of ProtoMan, Sniper Joe's shield protects him from damage when he is standing still on the ground, and is completely vulnerable when in the air.
  • While staying still in crawling position, the shield on Sniper Joe's back protects him from projectiles coming from above.
  • Due to the assumed cheaper and inferior material Sniper Joe's shield is made of, projectiles are destroyed when they make contact with the shield, not deflected like in ProtoMan's case.

TREMIC1

Re: Playable Character Idea: Sniper Joe

Post by TREMIC1 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 am

I love this idea :lol: It makes sense in a sort without brining in the other Robot Masters and your proposition feels very balanced. Some talking points though:
  • You know how sometimes you slide into a gap that has a ladder but you can't stand up into it? Would Sniper Joe be able to access these areas since his slide function is togglble and has more control than the normal slide? Would be a nice unique feature to his move set, similar to Bass's double jump/inability to slide.
  • What does his damage meter look like? Maybe because he's inferior function and construction wise to super fighting robots such as Mega Man and Proto Man, but also lore wise, Dr. Light probably worked out more of the energy consumption kinks from Proto Man's design, something like 1.5 damage?
  • The Apache Joe option is hilarious :lol: But maybe Gunner Joe from MM IV GB would be a better option, being that its lesser known and appears to have a smaller sprite than Apache Joe/closer to the combine hitbox of Mega Man/ProtoMan on their utilities or Treble Boost.
    Image Image
  • Now is a good time to one again petition for MM1 Sniper Joe and MM2 Sniper Joe & Armor. Both I feel are good hefty enemies for "mini boss" segments and present their own set of placement options. Maybe MMM can even add the Sniper Armor by itself to be usable by the player (similar to the marine bike), as promotional art leads us to believe that it was once planned as Item 4.
Sniper Joe can be everyone's personal little soldier. :lol:

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:06 am

TREMIC1 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:30 am
  • You know how sometimes you slide into a gap that has a ladder but you can't stand up into it? Would Sniper Joe be able to access these areas since his slide function is togglble and has more control than the normal slide? Would be a nice unique feature to his move set, similar to Bass's double jump/inability to slide.
That could probably work, it would certainly make him more unique.
TREMIC1 wrote:
  • What does his damage meter look like? Maybe because he's inferior function and construction wise to super fighting robots such as Mega Man and Proto Man, but also lore wise, Dr. Light probably worked out more of the energy consumption kinks from Proto Man's design, something like 1.5 damage?
Taking 1.5 Damage seems pretty fair, as Sniper Joes are likely mass produced with cheap parts that I assume aren't all that resilient to damage, but I'd assume the Joe line wouldn't suffer from ProtoMan's faulty core.
TREMIC1 wrote:
  • The Apache Joe option is hilarious :lol: But maybe Gunner Joe from MM IV GB would be a better option, being that its lesser known and appears to have a smaller sprite than Apache Joe/closer to the combine hitbox of Mega Man/ProtoMan on their utilities or Treble Boost.
    Image Image
Either one works for me. I just personally like the design of the Apache Joe helicopter myself. :lol:
TREMIC1 wrote:
  • Now is a good time to one again petition for MM1 Sniper Joe and MM2 Sniper Joe & Armor. Both I feel are good hefty enemies for "mini boss" segments and present their own set of placement options. Maybe MMM can even add the Sniper Armor by itself to be usable by the player (similar to the marine bike), as promotional art leads us to believe that it was once planned as Item 4.
I'd love to have MM1 Joe and MM2 Joe & Armor in MMM. Also I really like the idea of being able to place or spawn vehicles normally exclusive to Joe enemies to ride in.

Being able to use make marine bike segmets would be great too. It is different enough to riding an Oil Slider, by being able to shoot, at the cost of losing invulnerability to contact damage.

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 pm

I agree,Joes are the best enemies,and the devs need to make a Joe profile pic for MMM
turnip

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm

8JKN4 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 pm
I agree,Joes are the best enemies,and the devs need to make a Joe profile pic for MMM
I'm honestly surprised there isn't a Sniper Joe profile picture.

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:44 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm
8JKN4 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:27 pm
I'm honestly surprised there isn't a Sniper Joe profile picture.
Yeah,since they are one of the most iconic Mega Man enemies the team should have added one along with the Met profile pic
turnip

Megamanvwxyz

Post by Megamanvwxyz » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am

Royalguard wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:49 am
Just throwing out an idea for a possible new character to add to Mega Man Maker. I don't see this character likely ever appearing in Mega Man Maker as something playable, but thought I might as well throw it out anyways. :lol:

Why Sniper Joe?
According to lore, Dr. Light mass-produced Sniper Joes based on Proto Man's design. It could probably be assumed that Dr. Light still owns at least one of his own Sniper Joe models. Sniper Joe is also one of the most iconic enemies in the entire Mega Man series.

Default Buster Type:
  • Sniper Joe's standard buster shots are larger than MegaMan's/ProtoMan's standard buster shots (same size as an enemy MM2 Sniper Joe's shots).
Charge Shot Type:
  • Throw a grenade in a set arc, grenade explodes after a few seconds, or instantly if it collides with an enemy.
Slide Type:
  • While in a standing position, pressing Slide makes Sniper Joe get into a crawling position, pressing Slide while in crawling position makes Sniper Joe return to standing position.
  • Pressing left or right while in crawling position makes Sniper Joe slowly crawl in that direction.
  • While in crawling position, Sniper Joe's hitbox size is roughly the same as MegaMan's/ProtoMan's sliding hitbox, allowing him to slip under enemy projectiles unharmed, or crawl into 1 block high openings MegaMan or ProtoMan could normally slide through.
Utility Type:
  • Assuming Rush Marine is added to Mega Man Maker in the future, it is replaced with the Rider Joe marine bike.
Misc.:
  • Opposite of ProtoMan, Sniper Joe's shield protects him from damage when he is standing still on the ground, and is completely vulnerable when in the air.
  • While staying still in crawling position, the shield on Sniper Joe's back protects him from projectiles coming from above.
  • Due to the assumed cheaper and inferior material Sniper Joe's shield is made of, projectiles are destroyed when they make contact with the shield, not deflected like in ProtoMan's case.
What if we call him something like Custom Joe, and instead of him using boss weapons, he can have a customizable Joe weapons menu?
1. Sniper Shot (replaces buster weapons)(works like Sniper Joe's gun)
2. Chain Ball (works like Hammer Joe's weapon)
3. Bone Club (works like Skeleton Joe's weapon)
4. Crystal Shard (works like Crystal Joe's weapon)
5. Electricity Attack (works like Piriparee's weapon)
6. Grenade Toss (works like Joe Classic from MM8, MM&B, but you can't use the Sniper Shot)
7. Machine Gun (works like Machine Gun Joe's Weapon)
8. Harpoon Launcher (works like Harpoon Joe's weapon)
9. Bow Staff (works like Samurai Joe's weapon)
10. Cannon Adapter (let's him fire bigger bullets like a charge shot, but no need to charge)

Utilities
1. Sniper armor (lets you get to unreachable places by jumping higher and further, also can shoot bullets like in MM2)
2. Apache Heli or Gunner Pod (use to fly like Rush Jet)
3. Marine Rider (use on top of water)
4. Truck Rammer (use to ride in and the spikes on the front can break through 1 tile wide walls, any thicker and the truck explodes)

Options turn on/off
Shield (only works when grounded and only works for Sniper weapon, Grenade weapon, machine gun, and cannon adapter, and projectiles are destroyed when they make contact with the shield, not deflected like in ProtoMan's case)

Crawl (lets you crawl into 1 space holes, like if you were sliding, if shield is equipped, it is on his back and protects him from projectiles coming from above)
Error, unable to display avatar and signature, please try again later.

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am

Megamanvwxyz wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am
Royalguard wrote:

Why Sniper Joe?

Default Buster Type:
Charge Shot Type:
Slide Type:
Utility Type:
Misc.:
What if we call him something like Custom Joe, and instead of him using boss weapons, he can have a customizable Joe weapons menu?
6. Grenade Toss (works like Joe Classic from MM8, MM&B, but you can't use the Sniper Shot)
10. Cannon Adapter (let's him fire bigger bullets like a charge shot, but no need to charge)

Utilities
1. Sniper armor (lets you get to unreachable places by jumping higher and further, also can shoot bullets like in MM2)
4. Truck Rammer (use to ride in and the spikes on the front can break through 1 tile wide walls, any thicker and the truck explodes)

Options turn on/off
Shield (only works when grounded and only works for Sniper weapon, Grenade weapon, machine gun, and cannon adapter, and projectiles are destroyed when they make contact with the shield, not deflected like in ProtoMan's case)

Crawl (lets you crawl into 1 space holes, like if you were sliding, if shield is equipped, it is on his back and protects him from projectiles coming from above)
I think it would be really neat if instead of Robot Master Weapons, Sniper Joe could only switch between weapons and tools used by other Joe variants, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult that would be to implement. I really like the idea though.

Zoran

Post by Zoran » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 am

That's an awesome idea !

And the "character sheet" make sense. We could make some very interesting levels with this.

Fanduber

Post by Fanduber » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:44 am

Royalguard wrote:

Why Sniper Joe?

Default Buster Type:
Charge Shot Type:
Slide Type:
Utility Type:
Misc.:
That is the Great Idea!
Sniper Joe is not Bad. Great Work! :lol:

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:26 pm

I've been thinking some more about this...

If ProtoMan has the Variable Weapons System installed, and Sniper Joes are based closely on ProtoMan's design, wouldn't Sniper Joes also be designed with compatibility for the same Variable Weapon System?

Lets just assume that Sniper Joes do happen to be compatible with the Variable Weapons System, why is it that it isn't installed in all Sniper Joes? Considering how few robots in the classic Mega Man series have the Variable Weapon System installed, perhaps the Variable Weapon System is too difficult or costly to make, especially on a line of less durable mass produced robots?

I think you could equally make a case both ways for if a playable Sniper Joe would or would not have access to the Variable Weapons System. Duo in Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters does have something resembling the Variable Weapons System installed, but I'm not sure if any information exists explaining if this was always an ability Duo had, or if Dr. Light at some point installed it into Duo, like when Dr. Light repaired Duo in Mega Man 8.

emmeep06

Post by emmeep06 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:52 pm

good idea. here are my ideas to add:
if you are moving and press c, you would run.
this is to make up for the lack of quick movement options. chase levels are now possible. :D

warlic
Discord: warlic#6223

Post by warlic » Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am

With regards to lore, it is unknown what model Doctor Right has. All Joes seen as enemies were modified for combat. Even their appearance was altered to fit Break Man more so than Blues.
Greetings and salutations, good sir or madam.

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm

warlic wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 11:13 am
With regards to lore, it is unknown what model Doctor Right has. All Joes seen as enemies were modified for combat. Even their appearance was altered to fit Break Man more so than Blues.
You bring up a good point. Does that mean that we may have never seen the original line of Joes, as they where not originally designed for combat purposes? That is very interesting.

TREMIC1

Post by TREMIC1 » Tue May 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm
warlic wrote:
You bring up a good point. Does that mean that we may have never seen the original line of Joes, as they where not originally designed for combat purposes? That is very interesting.
Another interesting tidbit.

As noted by the wiki, in the Archie Comics MegaMan run, Proto Man is stated to have been a prototype for the Sniper Joe program until his energy core problems came to light, this making him change the design of Joe a bit. It is possible that this change meant the sacrifice of the weapon copy system in favor of a more stable energy supply. Thus these two components could have been an this or that scenario until the creation of Mega Man.

As also stated while the Sniper Joe project was definitely a soldier based project, Wily somehow got his hands on some and further modified them for heavier combat. It is unknown is these changes make them more or less compatible for the weapon copy system but it is still implied that he (for most of the series) didn’t have that technoly for most of the series.

Combine the knowledge that Rock, while still being more advanced than other robots in terms of emotions energy consumption and thought processes, still had to be upgraded to become the combat weapon copy robot we known today, it is possible that Light didn’t revisit the implementation of such a system until dire measures made him forced him to try again, this time with success.

Therefore that leads us to two scenarios. One, of mass production wasn’t a big thing, Light Or Wily can only now able to put such systems into Sniper Joe (though it might mean such a restructuring thar makes one ask if would be better just to build a new RM ala Bass)

Or, Two, somewhere exist between the realization about Proto Man’s unstable core days (before Wily’s attempt at its stabilization) and the decision to go with the sniper joe design we are familiar with today a really rare attempt(s)at a model which for better or worse implements both a version of the core and weapon system, creating a whole new area of advantages and setbacks not comparible to neither Porto Man OR a standard Sniper Joe.

warlic

Post by warlic » Thu May 03, 2018 12:24 pm

I am unsure if the Joe Line's purpose prior to being altered was given outside of the Archie Comics.

Basty

Post by Basty » Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:52 am
Megamanvwxyz wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:30 am
Royalguard wrote:

Why Sniper Joe?

Default Buster Type:
Charge Shot Type:
Slide Type:
Utility Type:
Misc.:

Utilities

Options turn on/off

I think it would be really neat if instead of Robot Master Weapons, Sniper Joe could only switch between weapons and tools used by other Joe variants, but I'm not sure how easy or difficult that would be to implement. I really like the idea though.
Would have removed other quotes if it was easy on the tablet but it's not.
Anyways. I do agree. It would be neat to see Sniper joe use all of the abilities used by other Joe's. It'd be like playing Thug mode on resident evil.

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Sat May 05, 2018 6:47 pm

TREMIC1 wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 6:47 pm
Royalguard wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 3:21 pm
warlic wrote:
Another interesting tidbit.

As noted by the wiki, in the Archie Comics MegaMan run, Proto Man is stated to have been a prototype for the Sniper Joe program until his energy core problems came to light, this making him change the design of Joe a bit. It is possible that this change meant the sacrifice of the weapon copy system in favor of a more stable energy supply. Thus these two components could have been an this or that scenario until the creation of Mega Man.

As also stated while the Sniper Joe project was definitely a soldier based project, Wily somehow got his hands on some and further modified them for heavier combat. It is unknown is these changes make them more or less compatible for the weapon copy system but it is still implied that he (for most of the series) didn’t have that technoly for most of the series.

Combine the knowledge that Rock, while still being more advanced than other robots in terms of emotions energy consumption and thought processes, still had to be upgraded to become the combat weapon copy robot we known today, it is possible that Light didn’t revisit the implementation of such a system until dire measures made him forced him to try again, this time with success.

Therefore that leads us to two scenarios. One, of mass production wasn’t a big thing, Light Or Wily can only now able to put such systems into Sniper Joe (though it might mean such a restructuring thar makes one ask if would be better just to build a new RM ala Bass)

Or, Two, somewhere exist between the realization about Proto Man’s unstable core days (before Wily’s attempt at its stabilization) and the decision to go with the sniper joe design we are familiar with today a really rare attempt(s)at a model which for better or worse implements both a version of the core and weapon system, creating a whole new area of advantages and setbacks not comparible to neither Porto Man OR a standard Sniper Joe.
If what I read was correct, the comics state Dr. Light's original Joe line was referred to as "Army Joes", where as the Joe line modified by Dr. Wily where referred to as "Sniper Joes". I assume this isn't canon to the games at all.

Are specialized Joes, like Crystal Joe, just standard Sniper Joes using a power that grants it a different form temporarily, or are the Joes manually rebuilt just for use a for a specific power? This makes me curious as Mega Man 11 shows Mega Man's physical form adapting to specific Robot Master weapons, makes me wonder if this possible upgrade to the weapon copy system is connected to the Joe line in some way.

TREMIC1

Post by TREMIC1 » Sun May 06, 2018 3:15 am

Royalguard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:47 pm
If what I read was correct, the comics state Dr. Light's original Joe line was referred to as "Army Joes", where as the Joe line modified by Dr. Wily where referred to as "Sniper Joes". I assume this isn't canon to the games at all.
For better or worse, the classic Mega Man games have for the most part been a series of the "Play the Game, Skip the Story" trope, being a collection of loose general plot points and events. Aside from the various interpretations, the most concrete, cannon we have is most likely the little stories that used to be included in the game manuals. :lol:
Royalguard wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 6:47 pm
Are specialized Joes, like Crystal Joe, just standard Sniper Joes using a power that grants it a different form temporarily, or are the Joes manually rebuilt just for use a for a specific power? This makes me curious as Mega Man 11 shows Mega Man's physical form adapting to specific Robot Master weapons, makes me wonder if this possible upgrade to the weapon copy system is connected to the Joe line in some way.
This is such an exciting idea. It's like the more everyone speculates on how this sniper joe implementation works, the more details and possible explanations we discover. :lol:

Side note: when I was a younger and the battle network games were a craze, I used to wish and draw my own pictures of Mega Man having a complete new look for each power, similar to the soul-syncronyzation forms in the games between net navis. I'm glad that this seems to be an idea they are experimenting with in MM11, and am perfectly fine with the theory that this a possible upgrade to the copy system and something experimented to a limited degree in past games with the specialized joes. I just wish I was the one to have the credit for its conception especially with the new game coming out! :lol:

warlic

Post by warlic » Sun May 06, 2018 3:19 am

Since the "specialty" models of Joe exhibit unique physical characteristics, (such as different periods of invulnerability), and are listed in the same manner as regular updates of the traditional Joe, it can be assumed they are unique builds using the original Joe as a foundation.