The Text Editor, And You!

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
DoctorLumen
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by DoctorLumen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Bucket wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:34 pm
Enemies
Enemies have files in them like this.

e####,####="######"
d####,####="######"
b####,####="######"
a####,####="######"

Unfortunatly, there is not as many ways to edit an enemy as there is a tile. You can change the coordinates, but only in multiples of 16 and not touching anything, or else the enemy will dissapear.

"e" stands for the type of enemy it is, whether its a pierobot, a killer bullet, etc.

Changing "d" to anything other than 5 appears to crash the game, and "b" and "a" seem to do nothing.
Changing the 'd' value to 8 will make it a boss or a boss door depending on the 'e' value. Also, do you know if it's possible to add comments to the MMLV files that won't crash the game? Thanks.

User avatar
Bucket
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:39 am
Location: United States
Discord: Bucket#4801
Contact:

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Bucket » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm

At the time of writing this, I did not know of the D value. I found out when I searched for Gemini Man. Also, I assume there is no way to put comments in the MMMaker File, since the game reads them in a specific way. Even if you could, if you saved the game in the editor, the comments would be removed.
h

DoctorLumen
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by DoctorLumen » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:08 pm

Bucket wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:53 pm
At the time of writing this, I did not know of the D value. I found out when I searched for Gemini Man. Also, I assume there is no way to put comments in the MMMaker File, since the game reads them in a specific way. Even if you could, if you saved the game in the editor, the comments would be removed.
I tried putting a comment in a file.

First, I did this:
e32,32="5.000000"
d32,32="5.000000"
b32,32="-1.000000"
a32,32="1.000000"

This will give you a Big Eye normal. But if you do this:
"JimBob"
e32,32="5.000000"
d32,32="5.000000"
b32,32="-1.000000"
a32,32="1.000000"

The Big Eye turns into a Met.

boltgreywing
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 am

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by boltgreywing » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 am

RandomCatDude wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am
Diamond Wolf wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 am
As for that code...

"#include <library.h>" is the same as "import library".
"double getTax(int& pointsGained)" is the same as "func getTax(pointsGained: int address) returns double".

If those don't clarify anything, then the best attempts at making code readable to grade school students failed. (Except maybe the "address" thing; all it means is that you're referring to the location in memory you pass into the function rather than simply the value)

I don't even see how the rest is convoluted. Perhaps you could explain what you don't get?
The entire language looks like it was designed to be put on r/iamverysmart, because everything is just fucking nonsense, i can't even begin to fucking explain why because i can't fucking understand it!
LunarHalcyon wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 am
I learned assembly before coding. Would not recommend it. You're basically feeling around in the dark.

I'd say, Coding is closer to do with how it was built and decorated, and Assembly is closer to do with how it functions step by step.
I've worked with assembly before(it was 6502 assembly, but still) and let me tell you, it was easier to program with than C++, Everything is ridiculously simple and the only things that pose a big issue are errata(hardware bugs) and your own ability to optimize shit
Its not that easy each assembler has its own language and doesn't work on other systems. An assembly that works on android, won't work on an ibm 486 and other computers down the line. If you like you can try to program in machine language.

User avatar
RandomCatDude
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am
Location: Russia
Discord: Randomcatdude#3702

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by RandomCatDude » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:06 am

boltgreywing wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:34 am
RandomCatDude wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am
Diamond Wolf wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:32 am
As for that code...

"#include <library.h>" is the same as "import library".
"double getTax(int& pointsGained)" is the same as "func getTax(pointsGained: int address) returns double".

If those don't clarify anything, then the best attempts at making code readable to grade school students failed. (Except maybe the "address" thing; all it means is that you're referring to the location in memory you pass into the function rather than simply the value)

I don't even see how the rest is convoluted. Perhaps you could explain what you don't get?
The entire language looks like it was designed to be put on r/iamverysmart, because everything is just fucking nonsense, i can't even begin to fucking explain why because i can't fucking understand it!
LunarHalcyon wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:11 am
I learned assembly before coding. Would not recommend it. You're basically feeling around in the dark.

I'd say, Coding is closer to do with how it was built and decorated, and Assembly is closer to do with how it functions step by step.
I've worked with assembly before(it was 6502 assembly, but still) and let me tell you, it was easier to program with than C++, Everything is ridiculously simple and the only things that pose a big issue are errata(hardware bugs) and your own ability to optimize shit
Its not that easy each assembler has its own language and doesn't work on other systems. An assembly that works on android, won't work on an ibm 486 and other computers down the line. If you like you can try to program in machine language.
Did you read? I'm working with 6502 assembly,, which is an instruction set for the old 6502 processor. It's easy as hell to memorize most of the instructions and use them. It's also simple, unlike C++, since there's no complicated garbage littered everywhere.

Whatever, I'll shut up since you'll never understand my hatred for this "programming language".
I tried to fit Cave Johnson's lemon rant here, but it didn't fit. Stupid 255 character limit...

User avatar
Brazencoronet17
Posts: 3706
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:09 pm
Location: On a collegits' shelf
Discord: Gyro Man#5136
Contact:

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:00 pm

I tweaked a random tile, and it was the Wily Plate for Air Man's stage... one pixel shorter. :lol:
i am no longer active :pensive:

bye

User avatar
8JKN4
Posts: 2592
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:20 pm
Location: Brazil
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by 8JKN4 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:58 pm

Welp seems to be doing alright
Image

EDIT:I managed to make them the right size and acidentally gave Hard Man the advice of "Safety First" while doing it
Image

EDIT EDIT:Somehow I managed to,uh,triplicate Proto Man...Don't ask how,must've been the messing around the level file...
Image
profile pic is an improved version of my hose man mugshot made by MP64/terra (the one i'm using is his version)

User avatar
Bucket
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:39 am
Location: United States
Discord: Bucket#4801
Contact:

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Bucket » Thu May 03, 2018 12:47 am

I should probably update this to make use of new enemy format, xscale, yscale, and enemy specific values. Maybe later.
h

boltgreywing
Posts: 242
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:20 am

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by boltgreywing » Thu May 03, 2018 2:32 am

Bucket wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 12:47 am
I should probably update this to make use of new enemy format, xscale, yscale, and enemy specific values. Maybe later.
This is pretty impressive. Your mod is pretty impressive too Bucket. :)

protoman242
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:02 am

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by protoman242 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 pm

i just want what is the timer.
plz

User avatar
Bucket
Posts: 305
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:39 am
Location: United States
Discord: Bucket#4801
Contact:

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Bucket » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 am

what timer?
h

User avatar
RandomCatDude
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am
Location: Russia
Discord: Randomcatdude#3702

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by RandomCatDude » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:36 am

Bucket wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 am
what timer?
the timer on yoku blocks and bombs
I tried to fit Cave Johnson's lemon rant here, but it didn't fit. Stupid 255 character limit...

User avatar
Royalguard
Posts: 4076
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:20 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Royalguard » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 am

Bucket wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:30 am
what timer?
He made another topic showing a level that was likely modified in a text editor.
The level had Yoku Blocks that didn't run on the traditional timer used normally in the level editor.

User avatar
Darkness
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:28 pm
Location: Taiwan
Discord: Darkness#3871

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Darkness » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:18 am

Oh man some of the information are a bit outdated here

First of all, the "i" value stands for what type of solid it is (1=tile, 2=spike, 3=ladders). This can be especially helpful with unorthodox tiles caused by making the game reading sprites out of the intended tileset grids (most famous example being the megaman statues)

And the timer value of any gimmick is on the "h" value, interestingly most things besides yoku block seems to fix itself after changing, or act in some unintended ways (10+ timer Countbombs functions exactly like 0 timer ones)

An example of most text editing functions (megaman statues, faster yoku timers, manual tiling) can be seen in 224715

Totally not shamelessly plugging my own level
Challenge Assistant. exam incoming, someone help me.

User avatar
TREMIC1
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by TREMIC1 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 pm

Just curious. Forgive me If I'm totally out there but....

Can you text edit colors by chance?

User avatar
RandomCatDude
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am
Location: Russia
Discord: Randomcatdude#3702

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by RandomCatDude » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:14 am

TREMIC1 wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 pm
Can you text edit colors by chance?
The colors are most likely numbers that determine the skin that the objects use. Sorry to ruin your hopes, but it's not RGB.
I tried to fit Cave Johnson's lemon rant here, but it didn't fit. Stupid 255 character limit...

User avatar
TREMIC1
Posts: 436
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by TREMIC1 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm

Some more questions. (Having a hard time figuring out how to do ANYTHING with text editing really but still wanted to know if certain things are possible)

--Can you change the sprite of an enemy to that of another while still keeping the enemy's behavior?

--Can you change the size of enemies?

-- Can you edit the solidness of enemies?

-- Is there anyway to replace all occurrences of the code of another asset? (like making all instances of one tile type semi solid like ladders)

--Can you alter the gimmicks? (in particular something like making yoku blocks look like a tile type or maing it where you can stand on the source block for lasers?

User avatar
RandomCatDude
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am
Location: Russia
Discord: Randomcatdude#3702

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by RandomCatDude » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:29 am

TREMIC1 wrote:
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:24 pm

--Can you change the sprite of an enemy to that of another while still keeping the enemy's behavior?

--Can you change the size of enemies?

-- Can you edit the solidness of enemies?

-- Is there anyway to replace all occurrences of the code of another asset? (like making all instances of one tile type semi solid like ladders)

--Can you alter the gimmicks? (in particular something like making yoku blocks look like a tile type or maing it where you can stand on the source block for lasers?
The answer to all of those is most likely no. I'm too lazy to go over the specifics, but the level file simply says what asset should be where, some parameters, and that's it. Behaviors of assets, and parameters that the asset doesn't have usually, as far as I'm aware, cannot be changed.
I tried to fit Cave Johnson's lemon rant here, but it didn't fit. Stupid 255 character limit...

User avatar
Mari0Player64
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 am
Location: A house

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by Mari0Player64 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Well, looks like someone alraeady figured out how to make a full level https://gist.github.com/freem/03d6c1832 ... 361380920d

User avatar
RandomCatDude
Posts: 1222
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 am
Location: Russia
Discord: Randomcatdude#3702

Re: The Text Editor, And You!

Post by RandomCatDude » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:25 am

Mari0Player64 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:23 pm
Well, looks like someone alraeady figured out how to make a full level https://gist.github.com/freem/03d6c1832 ... 361380920d
Oh, nice! Did you make this?
I tried to fit Cave Johnson's lemon rant here, but it didn't fit. Stupid 255 character limit...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests