Who / What is a electricity-themed robot master?

Discuss anything related to Mega Man
Lozof
Discord: Lozof#1785

Who / What is a electricity-themed robot master?

Post by Lozof » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:47 pm

I recently started a series where I try to categorise robot masters into certain themes. It seemed rather easy to me at first, but depending on the rules you apply, there often are some robot masters who could or couldn't be included in this category. In my electric-themed poll I included Elec Man, Spark Man, Jupiter, Dynamo Man, Plug Man, Sheep Man and Fuse Man, but decided to leave out Cloud Man and Clown Man, because Cloud Man felt more sky-themed to me, while Clown Man seemed like he only got randomly the electric attribute for his weapon.

Now I'm asking you: Who would you consider as electric-themed? Where would you draw the line?
My 8-bit music channel on Youtube: Lozof Music

My Mega Man Maker channel: Doctor Wrily

My current project:

Fluff Man

Re: Who / What is a electricity-themed robot master?

Post by Fluff Man » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:51 pm

Probably Robots who:

Have electric themed enemies and gimmicks in their stage.

Have an electric themed weapon.

And most importantly are actually clearly electric in their design.
FEAR MY FLUFF OF DOOM

MEGAMAN -1 Megamaker Fangame in Progress!

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:03 pm

Fluff Man wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:51 pm
Probably Robots who:

Have electric themed enemies and gimmicks in their stage.

Have an electric themed weapon.

And most importantly are actually clearly electric in their design.
for the specific robot masters.

Considering all three of those aspects would pretty much allign with my view. But there are some RM who lack partially or completely in one or two departments. While Sheep Man is in a cyperspace level, there's not much electricity in the level itself. Cloud Man's weapon is electric, but he and his stage are more about the sky and weather. And Clown Man has only his weapon. That's where people's opinion could diverge, so I'm curious what everyone says about those.
Last edited by Lozof on Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My current project:

Ice Lord

Post by Ice Lord » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 pm

Elec Man
Spark Man
Bright Man
Cloud Man - Well, based on his power alone, the Thunder Bolt, he is an electric RM, however due to being a weather RM he could easily give Mega Man a weapon with a variety of effects, like a rain, strong winds, etc. But they decided to give an electric type weapon. Sorry, I'm not feeling very well today...
Clown Man - Even thought his stage does not involve any electric gimmick, he could be an "electric toy".
Plug Man
Sheep Man
Fuse Man
Dynamo Man
Jupiter
"Can you see the star over there?"

My first level - Storm Area 51

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:44 pm

Ice Lord wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:39 pm
Elec Man
Spark Man
Bright Man
Cloud Man - Well, based on his power alone, the Thunder Bolt, he is an electric RM, however due to being a weather RM he could easily give Mega Man a weapon with a variety of effects, like a rain, strong winds, etc. But they decided to give an electric type weapon. Sorry, I'm not feeling very well today...
Clown Man - Even thought his stage does not involve any electric gimmick, he could be an "electric toy".
Plug Man
Sheep Man
Fuse Man
Dynamo Man
Jupiter
Ok, sounds like you would probably include everyone. I haven't really thought about Cloud Man being a weather guy for some reason, but since he does attack with some sort of bolts and there's rain in his stage, it rather supports me in my view of him not being as much as a electric RM. They all could be seen as electric, but for me it needs to be more than just the weapon. Hope you get well soon!

My current project:

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm

In my opinion, as long as a Robot Master has elements of electricity in their designs, stage, and/or weapon, they are an electric Robot Master.

Robot Masters like Elec Man, Dynamo Man, Plug Man, and Fuse Man show their electric theme through their designs. While their stages and weapons also have elements of electricity (maybe Plug Man's stage isn't too electric-themed though), one can easily see that they're electricity-themed just by looking at them.

Spark Man is, in my opinion, the only Robot Master that more clearly shows his electric theme through his stage. Sure, you may think he looks like an electric Robot Master, but honestly, if you removed all of the electricity thingies from his official artwork I don't think I'd be able to tell just from looking at his design. His stage, however, has multiple electric enemies and general elements of electricity in the background.
(After writing this I realized that Jupiter also mostly shows his electric theme through his stage and weapon, but I was too lazy to rewrite the entire paragraph.)

And then you have Cloud Man, Clown Man and Sheep Man. They barely look like electric Robot Masters and have close to no electric elements in their stages. (with Cloud Man's stage being a weather research insitute with just one electric enemy, Clown Man's stage being an amusement park with no electric enemies or gimmicks, and Sheep Man's stage looking like some kind of virtual cyberspace area with the only electric element being the conveyors that power up platforms and Octobulb.)
However, they all have one thing in common: they all have electric weapons, and other than that, at least one other thing in their design, fight, or whatever else that also shows that they are indeed electric Robot Masters.

Cloud Man is a weather control robot, meaning he can summon thunderbolts and electric storms, and of course his weapon is the Thunder Bolt/Thunder Strike, an electric weapon that can power up electric devices like the elevators in Junk Man's stage.
Clown Man's weapon is not only an electric beam, the Thunder Claw, but his boss room also has electric thingies in the walls that shock Mega Man if he is hit by the Thunder Claw attack, and Clown Man is also able to curl himself into a ball of electricity in an attack called the Thunder Carnival.
Lastly, there's Sheep Man. The only real electric elements this guy has are his fight and weapon, much like Cloud Man and Clown Man. Sure, you may say "oh but he uses static electricity from the wool in his body", but that's something you can't see in-game, or even in artwork, where the only electric elements are seen in his antennae (or whatever the two sticks in his back are meant to be), not in his wool. As I said before, there are also close to no electric elements in his stage. This pretty much means that he only clearly shows his electric theme through his weapon, the Thunder Wool, and the small electric spark he shoots in his fight, and his weakness to a rubber ball weapon.

So again, in my opinion, if a Robot Master has at least one electric element in his design, stage, fight, and/or weapon, they can be considered an electric Robot Master.
turnip

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm

8JKN4 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm
In my opinion, as long as a Robot Master has elements of electricity in their designs, stage, and/or weapon, they are an electric Robot Master.
Thanks for another essay! I clearly didn't give Clown Man enough (electric) credit with his boss room walls. The overall consense is currently: They're all electricity-themed because while it isn't necessarily very prominent, there's usually at least a bit of electricity in the stages and they have electric attacks which are translated over to Mega Man's weapon. I guess I should loosen my limitations a bit.

My current project:

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:05 pm

Lozof wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:57 pm
8JKN4 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:15 pm
Thanks for another essay!
Yeah I know, sometimes I just go into way too much detail when trying to explain my opinions
turnip

Ice Lord

Post by Ice Lord » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:08 pm

Lozof wrote:Hope you get well soon!
Thank you very much.
"Can you see the star over there?"

My first level - Storm Area 51

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:23 am

8JKN4 wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:05 pm
Yeah I know, sometimes I just go into way too much detail when trying to explain my opinions
No prob! It is really enjoyable to read a well explained opinion like yours!

My current project:

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 pm

The Robot Masters are like Pokemon, in that they're often hybrids of two elements in an attempt to give them more varied powers and themes, which further complicates classifying them because a lot of them fit into two themes at once. Here's a list:

Ice Man [Ice/Water] (is ice-themed but has the elemental weaknesses and strengths of a water-type)
Top Man [Toy/Speed]
Bright Man [Electric/Time] (electric design but his weapon works as a time stopper)
Drill Man [Earth/Bomb]
Pharaoh Man [Fire/Speed] (weak to Bright Man's time-stopper)
Dive Man [Water/Bomb]
Gyro Man [Air/Cut]
Star Man [Space/Fire] (how else do you explain him being weak to water?)
Centaur Man [Time/Gravity] (his weapon is a time stopper when he uses it, but a screen-nuke when you do)
Burst Man [Water/Bomb]
Cloud Man [Air/Electric]
Slash Man [Wood/Cut] (Cut-type weapon, but nature theme and elemental weaknesses to fire and ice)
Tengu Man [Air/Cut]
Sword Man [Fire/Cut]
Clown Man [Electric/Toy]
Search Man [Wood/Bomb] (weak to fire, and seems to thrive in jungle environments)
Cold Man [Ice/Water] (see Ice Man)
Pirate Man [Water/Bomb]
Splash Woman [Water/Cut]
Tundra Man [Ice/Air]
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 am

LeonardMan wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:41 pm
The Robot Masters are like Pokemon, in that they're often hybrids of two elements in an attempt to give them more varied powers and themes, which further complicates classifying them because a lot of them fit into two themes at once. Here's a list:

Ice Man [Ice/Water] (is ice-themed but has the elemental weaknesses and strengths of a water-type)
Top Man [Toy/Speed]
Bright Man [Electric/Time] (electric design but his weapon works as a time stopper)
Drill Man [Earth/Bomb]
Pharaoh Man [Fire/Speed] (weak to Bright Man's time-stopper)
Dive Man [Water/Bomb]
Gyro Man [Air/Cut]
Star Man [Space/Fire] (how else do you explain him being weak to water?)
Centaur Man [Time/Gravity] (his weapon is a time stopper when he uses it, but a screen-nuke when you do)
Burst Man [Water/Bomb]
Cloud Man [Air/Electric]
Slash Man [Wood/Cut] (Cut-type weapon, but nature theme and elemental weaknesses to fire and ice)
Tengu Man [Air/Cut]
Sword Man [Fire/Cut]
Clown Man [Electric/Toy]
Search Man [Wood/Bomb] (weak to fire, and seems to thrive in jungle environments)
Cold Man [Ice/Water] (see Ice Man)
Pirate Man [Water/Bomb]
Splash Woman [Water/Cut]
Tundra Man [Ice/Air]
Quick, someone get onto making a robot master themed Pokémon game! I'd really look forward to any game featuring robot masters with their unique stats, traits and abilities. It seems like there could be so much potential...

I agree that some robot masters should have two themes, but I think that in many instances the secondary theme is too minor compared to the main one, so I would rather leave it at that main theme.

While they often do have features of multiple elements, I wouldn't necessarily focus too much on the weakness system. Imagine you're making a Mega Man game. You made 8 robot masters based on different themes and are now thinking about which weaknesses give to who. You will likely find some robot masters who would fit multiple weaknesses and some who don't have any weakness that would suit them well, so I wouldn't classify for example Pharaoh Man as a speed type. And while Bright Man does use electricity to form his attack, he ultimately turns it into light.

Giving some Ice robot masters an additional water element is a neat idea, but since the robot masters themselves and their attacks are only ice-themed, I wouldn't consider them water-themed. Surprisingly it would fit the oddity that sometimes ice is effictive against fire, sometimes it is the other way around, I give you that.

The robot masters aren't as classified in their themes as Pokémon. But that's why there can be so many different opinions. There really is a lot of room for discussion on this topic. But I think your opinion is well thought out.
Last edited by Lozof on Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My current project:

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:48 pm

Lozof wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:59 am
Quick, someone get onto making a robot master themed Pokémon game!
Would you believe me that, 19 years ago, when I was 14 and I had just recently discovered pokemon and re-acquainted with Mega Man (that was the time I became a fan of both), I came up with this exact game idea? :lol: The starters were going to be Fire Man, Ice Man and Bomb Man. (funnily enough, Ice Man IS weak to Hyper Bomb, even in the original MM1).

I remember I was thinking of making the Robot Masters virtual entities to avoid the uncomfortable question of "where do they come from?" or "who builds them?"... And a couple years later I find out that Mega Man Battle Network exists. :oops:

But yeah, I actually wanted to make this game, possibly before you were even born, or when you were still in elementary school! (I'll assume you are between your teenage years or your early 20s at most). I've long since given up on it, though...

Castle of Illusion:

Mr. Gimmick:

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:48 pm
Would you believe me that, 19 years ago, when I was 14 and I had just recently discovered pokemon and re-acquainted with Mega Man (that was the time I became a fan of both), I came up with this exact game idea?
I do believe you. I did think about some crossovers as well, where I would mix the gameplay of one franchise with the characters of another franchise. But it was never too much in depth in the first place...
LeonardMan wrote:
I'll assume you are between your teenage years or your early 20s at most
Do I really appear that young? I'm in my mid-twenties, so you're not too far of. But still... :D

My current project:

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Lozof wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 pm
LeonardMan wrote:
Do I really appear that young? I'm in my mid-twenties, so you're not too far of. But still... :D
Not really :| I just assume that almost everyone in the forums is within that age range. 30-something dinosaurs like myself are fairly rare.

Castle of Illusion:

Mr. Gimmick:

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm

LeonardMan wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:35 pm
Lozof wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 pm
LeonardMan wrote:
Not really :| I just assume that almost everyone in the forums is within that age range. 30-something dinosaurs like myself are fairly rare.
I hope someone here is 69
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

Lozof

Post by Lozof » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm

Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:36 pm
I hope someone here is 69
I'm getting there! It'll just take a few decades... :D

My current project: