Random question about ALttP

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Random question about ALttP

Post by 8JKN4 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:55 pm

I've been playing A Link to the Past for a few days and I beat it today, and I have a really random question about the credits
So after all of the staff members and stuff have been listed, a "Quest History" appears and then it lists all of the dungeons along with a number of "games" for each one, then the total games played
My question is, what do these games mean? Is it how many times you died and had to restart the dungeon?
Because I don't remember dying in Thieves' Town 999 times

Like I said, really random question, I was just wondering what the games mean because it seems like a very weird way to say, well, whatever it's supposed to mean
turnip

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Random question about ALttP

Post by Royalguard » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm

1 "Game" = 1 Death

SNES/SFC Version
1 "Game" refers to any instance of losing all health and not being revived by a fairy, it also refers to any instance of selecting "Save & Quit" from the saving menu during gameplay.

GBA Version
1 "Game" refers to any instance of losing all health and not being revived by a fairy. Selecting "Save & Quit" from the saving menu during gameplay does not count as an additional "Game" being added in this version.

There is another documented case of this happening on Gamefaqs:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/58 ... t/40585525

Out of curiosity, where you playing the game via emulation? (Wii VC, Wii U VC, N3DS VC, SNES/SFC Mini, or other emulators)

My assumption is that 999 deaths occurring in Thieve's Town, may be a subtle anti-piracy feature included in LttP, if it doesn't detect the game being played on a proper SNES console (or accurate SNES-equivalent emulator).

Here are the possibilities:
1. You saved & quit/died 999 times in that dungeon.
2. Your save data somehow became partially corrupt.
3. Possibly an (incredibly ironic) anti-piracy function being activated by the game itself.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

8JKN4
Discord: 8JKN4#0739

Post by 8JKN4 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm
Out of curiosity, where you playing the game via emulation?
Yeah, I was playing it on an emulator
Royalguard wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:00 pm
Here are the possibilities:
1. You saved & quit/died 999 times in that dungeon.
2. Your save data somehow became partially corrupt.
3. Possibly an (incredibly ironic) anti-piracy function being activated by the game itself.
I really doubt I died 999 times in the dungeon and I don't remember dying that much, and I also don't usually save and quit inside dungeons, so if I have to stop playing in the middle of a dungeon I always just save-state so that I can go back to where I was without having to go through a bunch of the dungeon again.
On that topic I actually save-stated a lot in Thieves' Town so that I didn't have to rescue Blind and take him to the boss room every single time, only to probably die in the boss fight and have to restart (which is also why I usually save-stated before the bosses). So out of the three reasons, I think it's probably the third.
turnip

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 am

If this issue was caused by anti-piracy functions in the game itself, this is probably some of the most subtle I've seen on SNES games. Some games like Earthbound have far more harsh consequences.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 am

Royalguard wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 am
If this issue was caused by anti-piracy functions in the game itself, this is probably some of the most subtle I've seen on SNES games. Some games like Earthbound have far more harsh consequences.
Notice the brilliance in this... The player that plays the game on an emulator died 999 times in THIEVES' Town! Because the player is a thief himself by downloading for free a game that was supposed to be bought! :lol: They're basically calling the player a thief!
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:03 am

LeonardMan wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:17 am
Royalguard wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:34 am
Notice the brilliance in this... The player that plays the game on an emulator died 999 times in THIEVES' Town! Because the player is a thief himself by downloading for free a game that was supposed to be bought! :lol: They're basically calling the player a thief!
What is amusing, is that this 999 deaths in Thieve's Town also supposedly occurs in the Wii Virtual Console release of LttP (according to the Gamefaqs link I posted), despite the player needing to pay money to obtain it.

I guess someone at Nintendo completely missed removing/disabling it when making the Virtual Console release.

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:03 pm

http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE