Unpopular Nintendo Opinions thread

Discuss non-Mega Man games. Mega Man fan games go here as well
UlticraftMTT
Discord: MettatonEX#9160

Unpopular Nintendo Opinions thread

Post by UlticraftMTT » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:44 am

I know there's an unpopular opinion thread already but it's kind of slowed down and about to die plus i kind of wanted to do a thread specifically for Nintendo games. I'll start with mine

I prefer Super Mario World over Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World has far more replayability, better level design, and much more beautiful visuals.

I think the charm of the first few Mario games (Super Mario Bros. 1 up until Super Mario Sunshine) is that they all had a different aesthetic and a lot of different mechanics and enemies than the last game, most Mario games nowadays use models and sound effects touched up or ripped straight from 3D Land or New Super Mario Bros., so almost every Mario game since 2009 has had the same aesthetic style. Another thing that holds back the charm of the first few Mario games in my opinion is plastering 8-Bit Mario sprites all over the place, it was cool for a while but it's kind of just there for "haha let's throw in nostalgia". I think we need a Mario game with a new aesthetic, maybe the line-drawn style from a lot of official promo artwork, maybe a game that uses sprites with easily visible pixels to kind of invoke the feeling of a new retro Mario game, and a lot more.

I was never a fan of Pokemon, even Generations 1-4. I could just never get into Pokemon in general because i didn't like the gameplay mechanics, and i don't want to get into Pokemon after Sword and Shield and Pokemon GO corrupted the community. I don't even really like most RPGs in general. The only RPGs i ever liked were the Fallout games, and surprisingly enough, Angry Birds Epic and FNAF World, i liked everything about Undertale except for its own gameplay. I want to get into the Earthbound/Mother series but the games are somewhat hard to access without pirating or dusting off an old console.

Sometimes i question if i should even like the Smash Bros. franchise. I've played Smash Bros. games since i was 6 and loved them, but as i grew up i saw how much of a hellhole the community was, and started to wonder if i should even keep supporting the series.

I think Mario Kart Tour is going to be awful. Everyone will love it just because it's Nintendo and Mario, but the game will have microtransactions and be a mobile game so i don't have my hopes up for it at all. We just need a new, non-port Mario Kart game.

I don't think Zelda II and SMB2 USA are all that bad. I like SMB2 USA way better than the officially lisenced graphic and difficulty hack known as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, and Zelda II has some very interesting mechanics.

Super Mario Odyssey is a great game, but about 60% of the moons are too easy to get to, therefore making the replayability value on the game low. They either need to make Odyssey 2 or add a couple of DLC Kingdoms to be honest.

The Wii U was an excellent console. I don't understand why everyone compares it to the Virtual Boy. Most people comparing it to the Virtual Boy do not know how horribly the Virtual Boy sold and they don't know how microscopic the Virtual Boy's library was. The Gamepad was in my opinion, a very comfortable controller to hold and you could manipulate a lot of games in fun ways. At least the Wii U didn't have only 22 games and didn't strain people's eyes.

I just see Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 as good games with good level design and good gameplay, i don't find them very special, just some regular quality Mario titles.

I feel very alone on liking Miis, i don't find them ugly, i love their concept, and they are very flexible. Just because you can't recreate your favorite character and just because you don't like the Wii or Mii Fighters in Smash Bros. doesn't make Miis automatically bad.
crystal worm of doom

Royalguard
Discord: RoyalGuard#1135

Re: Unpopular Nintendo Opinions thread

Post by Royalguard » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 am

I find Super Mario World to be a bit of a bland and underwhelming experience.
Sure, the improved physics, and larger variety of enemies and level objects, are a big improvement over Super Mario Bros. 3. However, Super Mario World really drops the ball with recycled boss designs, far less things to do on the world maps (where are the item houses, battle ships, hammer bros., mini-game facilities, and secret encounters?), and less types of powerups for the player to use, which I feel makes it worse than Super Mario Bros. 3.

Super Mario Sunshine is a compete disaster.
I don't think I've ever played a 3D Mario game with challenges this unreasonable, physics this wonky, camera this broken, and gameplay this buggy. Oh god, I'm going to have nightmares about the barely playable Pachinko bonus level, and duck-things smashing my giant watermelons.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

phunguy06
Discord: https://discord.gg/4uNSrqe / spookguy06#5940

Post by phunguy06 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am

i have a feeling i won't make any friends with this

Every game in the Pokémon series is the same, and the series is generally quite unappealing
What a way to start, eh? Now, I don't think this series is bad. Far from it. They're well put together after gen 2 at least and they're just as fun as any Nintendo game should be. But once you've played one game, you've pretty much played them all. I know that some games have different Pokémon, or new gimmicks to keep the games fresh, but I don't see it. You get your starter, go through some routes, beat the first gym, go through some more routes, beat the second gym... For a series all about replayability, it's surprisingly not very replayable. All the games follow this structure, (except Gen 7 which in all fairness does change things up a bit with not having gyms) which is why it's hard to pick the 'best' Pokémon game for me. I mean, I've only played two, but I think that's all I need to play to understand the series. Neither of which I've actually beaten. With the Gen 3 remakes, I just got bored and didn't want to carry on, which is surprising since it was my first Pokémon game. With the Gen 7 remakes, I got to the final boss, but my Pokémon simply weren't strong enough (I think my starter was level 50) so it just one-shot most of my Pokémon.

I've got a lot more to say about Pokémon, but this post is getting too long so ask me about it on Discord or something.
I know Sputnik Man isn't spooky, shut up.

also yeah the world tour is done

Image Image

Brazencoronet17
Discord: Gyro Man#5136

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:19 pm

How is Zelda II bad? It's great and way better than the original. HATE ON ZELDA II I DARE YOU

Okay now for the opinions:

I hate Metroid (NES). Everything in it feels misguided and screwed up, and it's not very fun. The fun of a metroidvania is to explore, yes, but when it comes down to technical limitations, you have to copy-paste rooms and it gets very confusing, as well as it being a very glitchy experience. Enemies can randomly appear, due to glitches with set spawnpoints. The graphics look super ugly too, and to all those people saying graphics don't matter, if a game is ugly enough I don't wanna look at it. Worse, the game punishes you if you spend too much time. Also, if you want to "save" (I say it in quotations because 24-character passwords are NO fun) you have to intentionally (or unintentionally) die. Puzzles are very poorly designed and can be exploited or skipped, and the level design is just bad in general. This game has poorly aged, died, gone to hell and returned, yet people hail it as one of the best NES games and one of the best games in general. Why? Nostalgia? Because it's Nintendo? I don't know. But Metroid has aged poorly and is a TERRIBLE game IMO. Maybe I'll play Super Metroid someday and regain hope, considering it has better design, less (if any) limitations, and a M A P.
http://megamanroyale.com/ <- Play

BWAHAHAHA I AM NOW THE GAMECUBE

LeonardMan

Post by LeonardMan » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Hmmm... What can I bring to the table here?

Zelda 1: Yes, all the freedom and sandbox gameplay is very nice and, like Egoraptor says, it makes you feel like you ARE the character, rather than just reading the story from outside like it's a book. HOWEVER, the game is still stupidly hard and very confusing and obtuse. I know Miyamoto intended players to exchange hints with each other, and that may work in the friendship-centric country of Japan, but here in the west only we the nerds play this sort of videogames, and we are antisocial, so we don't believe in the power of friendship and hence are forever stumped with the game unless we consult a walkthrough. I don't know if later games starting from Link to the Past fixed this issue intentionally because they realized it, or if they accidentally fixed it because they were trying to focus on story and thus needed to be more organized anyway.

Majora's Mask: A game I want to love, but can't. The 3-day time limit doesn't feel like enough to figure out what to do and how to solve every puzzle, and you lose almost everything you've collected every time you go back to day 1.

Legend of Zelda in general: I don't mind Navi or any of my other companions in the game interrupting me to tell me stuff. In fact, in a couple places I intentionally asked Navi to tell me the weaknesses of an enemy.

Donkey Kong Country 3: I find nothing wrong with it. I'm unaffected by Kiddy Kong, I simply don't care about whether I get to play as an oversized baby or not. At worst, he's simply unmemorable, but that's it.

Kirby's Dream Land 3: While not as flashy and varied as Super Star, I still love it. Maybe because it was my very first Kirby game, but I enjoy this game and its art style.

Metroid Fusion: I enjoyed it. I don't need the freedom to go anywhere I want to enjoy a game. My theory on why this game is so linear and story-driven is because they were probably trying to go for a Metal Gear kind of thing, where the MIssion Control that is supposed to be helping you is actually manipulating you, and you discover that your own bosses are the real villains.

Undertale: I'm literally the only person who understands what this game is REALLY trying to be! It's not "The RPG that promotes peace and social justice" as everyone calls it! It's a horror game that masquerades as a JRPG, designed to scare the people who have played a lot of JRPGs.

And now, my answers to some of you guys:
UlticraftMTT wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:44 am
I prefer Super Mario World over Super Mario Bros. 3
Royalguard wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 am
I find Super Mario World to be a bit of a bland and underwhelming experience.
Both games have their virtues and flaws, but it's hard for me to tell if one is better than the other unless you're going for specific features (SMB3 has more things to do in the overworld such as Toad houses and minigames, but SMW's world is one giant inter-connected... well, world!). I believe the perfect Mario game here would have to combine the best aspects of both games.
UlticraftMTT wrote:
I was never a fan of Pokemon. I don't even really like most RPGs in general.
Me neither. I just got into it and all RPGs when the anime caused the populatrity of the franchise and the entire genre to massively explode, but after the hype died down with the years, I find that the turn-based battle systems of JRPGs, random encounters, and level grinding are not very fun at all. In fact, most battles in JRPGs are just "spam your current strongest spell of the correct element to win" and require no strategy to beat most enemies and bosses (looking at YOU, Lufia series).
UlticraftMTT wrote:
I like SMB2 USA way better than the officially lisenced graphic and difficulty hack known as Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels.
Yeah, just because it's not the true SMB2 doesn't automatically make it bad. As you said, quite the opposite. It's actually BETTER than the real thing!
UlticraftMTT wrote:
The Wii U was an excellent console.
I haven't got the chance to try it, but it still looks good to this day and I still want to try some of its games.
UlticraftMTT wrote:
I feel very alone on liking Miis, i don't find them ugly
I speculate that the reason America would hate Miis is because they are TOO CUTE! America is a country of tough-as-nails soldiers, so of course they hate cute things. As for me, I'm unaffected by Miis. I don't hate them, but I don't care either.
Brazencoronet17 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:19 pm
I hate Metroid (NES). Everything in it feels misguided and screwed up, and it's not very fun.
Gotta agree with you in this, it sucks. It was their first attempt and they didn't know how to do it right yet, so they fucked up. It wasn't until Super Metroid that they finally got the formula right.
Bubble Bobble: 242483

Castle of Illusion:
1: 231053
2: 231057
3: 231059
4: 231062
5: 231064
Final: 231066

Mr. Gimmick:
1: 178176
2: 178177
3: 178178
4: 178181
5: 178192
6: 178198
Final: ??????, Hunt for each digit in the other 6 levels!

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 pm

phunguy06 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am
Every game in the Pokémon series is the same,
I agree, at least in terms of the main series, and I blame the developers for being lazy, knowing people will buy the games regardless of its quality. If people stopped buying the games, and gave the developers a massive financial hit, maybe they actually be willing to make a quality game again for once.
phunguy06 wrote:
and the series is generally quite unappealing
Just because the developers are lazy, can't be bothered to innovate, and remove features just as fast as they introduce them, doesn't mean the core gameplay fundamentals are bad. There are tons of fan games and rom hacks out there that do the series far better justice than the official games do.
phunguy06 wrote:
They're well put together after gen 2 at least
I'd argue Gen 2 was where the overall quality of the games peaked, with Gen 3 and Gen 4 being decent quality, and Gen 5 and beyond taking a nosedive in quality that is still going on to this day.
Due to my current inability to play MMM in a satisfactory manner on either of my devices, I will be on hiatus from activity for an indefinite period of time.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:15 pm

Well Gen 6 and 2 are innovative, but gen 6-7 was just a dump

phunguy06
Discord: https://discord.gg/4uNSrqe / spookguy06#5940

Post by phunguy06 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 pm
phunguy06 wrote:
They're well put together after gen 2 at least
I'd argue Gen 2 was where the overall quality of the games peaked, with Gen 3 and Gen 4 being decent quality, and Gen 5 and beyond taking a nosedive in quality that is still going on to this day.
Oh, I was talking about glitches. Should've made that more clear.
I know Sputnik Man isn't spooky, shut up.

also yeah the world tour is done

Image Image

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:37 pm

Royalguard wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:00 pm
I liked Gen 5, but maybe that was just 'cause Kyruem and the story. Both were amazing tho.

Uranus

Post by Uranus » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 pm

The Super Nintendo Entertainment System is the the best Nintendo console and second best console (first being PS2)

We have games from every major franchise

- Mario: SMW

- Donkey Kong: DKC Series

- Zelda: Link to The Past

- Metroid: Super Metroid

- Kirby: KSS

- Star Fox: Star Fox 1

- F Zero: F Zero 1

- Megaman: MM7 and MMX

It also features

- Street Fighter 2

- Mortal Kombat 1, 2 and 3

And More, really this is the greatest Nintendo has ever produced

if I had to name my three favourite Nintendo franchises, it would be Super Mario, Super Smash Bros. And a tie between Zelda and Metroid (dont like them as much as first 2)

WCW Mayhem was pretty good, decent controls and a great roster are a plus to be sure

I never cared for Chrono Trigger, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Earthbound, Star Fox or F Zero, I think they are mediocre

I hate RPGs (excluding RPG Maker)

No Mercy is good, but there are games which are way better

Luigi is better than Mario

I never will care if Geno or Sora makes it into Smash and I never cared for Hero either. But I like Banjo in smash

If there were 3 characters that I would want in smash, they would be, Sub Zero, Goku and Phoenix Wright

I need more Ace Attorney
SHREK WAZOWKSI BLEW UP URANUS AND NOW HAS FULL ACCESS TO MY ACCOUNT!!!

JOIN THE UNITED CORPARATIONS TODAY!!

pm me to do so

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:10 am

Uranus wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:52 pm
Sub Zero
How would he rip kirby

Royalguard

Post by Royalguard » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:05 am

phunguy06 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:44 pm
Oh, I was talking about glitches. Should've made that more clear.
Gen 3's clock system in Ruby and Sapphire eventually breaks all daily events permanently due to faulty coding, unless an external patch is applied to the game.

Gen 4 is even worse, where by moving fast and erratically on the bicycle near map loading zones can sometimes cause the game to completely fail to load maps at all, and you can wander around in black voids of nothingness.

Last I checked, Gen 2's clock system wasn't poorly coded to the point where it just stopped working period, nor did the game fail to load maps due to moving too fast or erratically on the Bicycle.

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Gen 5-7 are pretty stable games, though no game is glitchless

Brazencoronet17

Post by Brazencoronet17 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:46 am

UNPOPULAR OPINION

Mario Party 9 and 10 are great games

I really want to see Bowser Party come back for SMP2 (If they make it), but add some improvements. Bowser Party alone makes 10 a blast, and the car system, while not as good as moving alone, works really well. 9 and 10 are the most fun I have ever had with a Mario game. The minigames (especially in 9) are top notch, bouncy brawl and steal the beat so many great ones. These games SAVED Mario party after Mario party 8. I don't understand an ounce of hate for these games. Thus far system is FINE, the ministar system is fine, people are just mad because it's not what they grew up with. SMP was good but played it too safe, rather than changing things up they made a carbon copy of 4. Not a bad thing since 4 is good, but still. Mario party 9 did a great job changing the formula and deserves almost none of the hate it gets.

DAS

Post by DAS » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Mario Kart Wii isn't good.

Most of the tracks are either reused concepts with reused layouts, or not interesting. The new items either feel like weaker versions of existing items, or they're the Thundercloud, which even people that like the game hate. The biggest thing that bothers me though is the balance. The only vehicles you'll ever be seeing are Flame Runner or Mach Bike. People make the argument about the Dry Bomber and RobBls from DS, but those are only good because of a tech they can use effectively, while the Flame Runner and Mach Bike are good without needing much prior knowledge of how to use them.

Some people defend the game because of the community and the creation of things like CTGP, but since the sky is the limit in the eyes of capable fans, I don't think it's very fair to judge two games saying one is better because of something fan made. It's like saying Super Smash Bros. Brawl is better than Melee because of Project M.
I'm still here

DONEANDSAID