Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Discuss level design, whether in general or related to your levels
Post Reply
User avatar
Casual Builder
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 pm
Location: Russia

Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Casual Builder » Sat May 23, 2020 12:34 pm

Even though I consider myself an experienced Mega Man Maker user, I feel that my talents have limits... I just can't decide which ideas I can implement into my levels. Said ideas may come on the spot, while sometimes I'm getting stuck with interesting concepts altogether.

Straightforward levels may be boring most of the time. I've decided to start this topic in search for some really cool ideas for level design.

Feel free to list your ideas and tips about obscure level design. Screenshots are also welcome!
P.S. No extra-hard Kaizo stuff here because I suck at Kaizos.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

User avatar
Matz
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Matz » Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm

I don't get the point of the thread exactly?
Is it for sharing obscure contraptions that do special stuff? Or for sharing level concepts that are really innovant and differ from the norm?

User avatar
DestroyerOfDestruction
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 am
Location: Colombia
Discord: BigMaster#4335
Contact:

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Sat May 23, 2020 4:29 pm

You could make puzzle levels or special sections.
I am currently moderating the three main community platforms.

User avatar
Casual Builder
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Casual Builder » Sat May 23, 2020 11:18 pm

Matz wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 3:03 pm
I don't get the point of the thread exactly?
Is it for sharing obscure contraptions that do special stuff? Or for sharing level concepts that are really innovant and differ from the norm?
Yep. It's for both... anything goes as long as it's enjoyable and provides fair challenge.
The point of this thread is to share some really cool ideas & level design tips.
DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:29 pm
You could make puzzle levels or special sections.
To be fair here for a moment, Destroyer... puzzle levels aren't my strong suit. Don't get me wrong - I appreciate them very much... but I'm not very good at building these myself.
"Special" sections... as in alternate paths, extra pickups hidden somewhere, different bosses in a single level? Anything could be special, really.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

User avatar
D-Man
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by D-Man » Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 am

Besides the standard linear traditional levels, you could make the following:

Sword Man-like
A series of short trials that each make use of a certain gimmick, and may include forced special weapons usage if you'd like. Each trial can end with obtaining a key, weapon, or even a miniboss. After the trials, a final brief stint using the previously introduced things together can serve as the cherry on top.

Boss Assist
A level where the player needs to use a boss's attacks to proceed, while also trying to stay alive. Using Weapon Blocks marked with the corresponding boss's weapon can be a way of achieving this.

MM6-like
A stage with more than one ending, and optional split paths leading up to it.

Get the Keys
Self-explanatory. The Prison stage remake I made is an example of this.
Image

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

User avatar
Casual Builder
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Casual Builder » Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 am

D-Man wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 3:59 am
Besides the standard linear traditional levels, you could make the following:

Sword Man-like
A series of short trials that each make use of a certain gimmick, and may include forced special weapons usage if you'd like. Each trial can end with obtaining a key, weapon, or even a miniboss. After the trials, a final brief stint using the previously introduced things together can serve as the cherry on top.

Boss Assist
A level where the player needs to use a boss's attacks to proceed, while also trying to stay alive. Using Weapon Blocks marked with the corresponding boss's weapon can be a way of achieving this.

MM6-like
A stage with more than one ending, and optional split paths leading up to it.

Get the Keys
Self-explanatory. The Prison stage remake I made is an example of this.
These are great ideas, actually.
Can you provide a link to your Prison stage remake?
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

User avatar
D-Man
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by D-Man » Sun May 24, 2020 5:06 pm

Casual Builder wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 4:41 am
These are great ideas, actually.
Can you provide a link to your Prison stage remake?
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=10446
Image

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

User avatar
DestroyerOfDestruction
Posts: 565
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:42 am
Location: Colombia
Discord: BigMaster#4335
Contact:

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by DestroyerOfDestruction » Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 am

I was having a hard time trying to explain it, but I was thinking on a level that teleports to multiple sections, something like Ground Scaravich in Mega Man X6.
I am currently moderating the three main community platforms.

User avatar
D-Man
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by D-Man » Mon May 25, 2020 7:01 pm

DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 am
I was having a hard time trying to explain it, but I was thinking on a level that teleports to multiple sections, something like Ground Scaravich in Mega Man X6.
You could place a column of teleporters, and depending on which segment the player touches, they get transported to a different room. At the end of each room would be a teleporter back to the main hub. It wouldn't be completely random, and that would make it better than the source.
Image

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

Fluff Man
Posts: 548
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:44 pm
Location: The !$%&^th dimension.

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Fluff Man » Mon May 25, 2020 8:54 pm

D-Man wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:01 pm
DestroyerOfDestruction wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:03 am
I was having a hard time trying to explain it, but I was thinking on a level that teleports to multiple sections, something like Ground Scaravich in Mega Man X6.
You could place a column of teleporters, and depending on which segment the player touches, they get transported to a different room. At the end of each room would be a teleporter back to the main hub. It wouldn't be completely random, and that would make it better than the source.
Well speaking of random, I made a randomizer that’s free to be used to spice up your levels, I haven’t done much with it but the possibilities are quite extensive.
FEAR MY FLUFF OF DOOM

MEGAMAN -1 Megamaker Fangame in Progress!
Also, working 50/50 uncheatable randomizer that anyone can copy into their levels! level ID 353798
Best Megaman theme: https://youtu.be/Z2ACqGtQodM

User avatar
Kun fu Cuts Man
Posts: 1124
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:33 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico
Discord: https://discord.gg/d8PdzqX | Kun fu Cuts Man#6955
Contact:

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Kun fu Cuts Man » Mon May 25, 2020 10:23 pm

Here's a randomizer that Snivy made, it requires no boss:
Image
Image
Does this count?

About my fangame, I made a new server and all the things related to it have been relocated there, join here
Finished it.

User avatar
Casual Builder
Posts: 155
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:19 pm
Location: Russia

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by Casual Builder » Mon May 25, 2020 11:33 pm

Kun fu Cuts Man wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 10:23 pm
Here's a randomizer that Snivy made, it requires no boss:
Image
I'm sure there could be more variations of said "randomizers"... but that example is a cool one.
Meet Casual Builder - a casual Mega Man fan and accomplished level builder.

User avatar
D-Man
Posts: 724
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by D-Man » Sat May 30, 2020 2:50 am

Do you think it may be possible to create a randomizer that takes up less space?
Image

List of Weapon Analyses I made: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10244

6bee
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat May 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by 6bee » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:58 pm

https://imgur.com/medzTmr
https://imgur.com/Fr0jW7D

So, I've stumbled upon a level that used this exploit with Stone Man and Electro Guards.

This can work with any boss that shakes the screen, but Stone Man's weaker tremor may not be able to spawn/despawn some enemies. I believe Concrete Man's tremors are a bit weaker than Hard Man's, but I haven't yet found something that Hard Man could spawn that he also couldn't.

The amount of enemies and level objects that this works with is very small. It seems that at the very least they need to be taller than a block and positioned as to have most of their hitbox in the inactive screen. Even then there seems to be no easy way to tell outside of investigating each individual case.

SMAAASH!!! Puppy
Posts: 448
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:52 am

Re: Obscure Level Design: Tips & Ideas

Post by SMAAASH!!! Puppy » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:11 pm

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I just learned that mini boss enemies will stop you from entering Boss Doors until they are defeated. There are currently only four of them though: Hot Dog, Tama, Whopper, and Squiddon.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests